3 (3.4%)
Grant Williams
13 (14.6%)
Gordon Hayward
65 (73%)
Daniel Theis
8 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Poll: Who should be the starting PF  (Read 15501 times)

Re: Poll: Who should be the starting PF
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 06:55:13 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Theis is honestly best equipped for such a role. Hayward would be abused by bruising PFs and of the options with size, Theis can hit jumpers to space floor and defend.

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 07:02:56 AM »

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Being that our system doesn’t have a “PF” and brad does not care at all what we think....I select none of the above

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 07:32:46 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Breakout season for Timelord. He will be inconsistent but also put up big numbers like 20 points 15 boards 5 blocks 3 assists.

I too am optimistic about the Timelord. I just think 20/15/5/3 may be a bit much.....
You're trying to tell me Robert Williams isn't Hakeem Olajuwon?

Of course not!!! he is Bill Russel
And in case you haven't heard Taco is Chamberlain. We are going full Twin Towers mode
But what about the 3 point shooting??
If Timelord can make his form a little more compact, I think we are looking at a 39% shooter from deep on volume. Couple that with Hakeem in his prime and I think he may crack the rotation.
#JKJB

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
By default = Gordon Hayward

Hayward is not a good option at PF but everyone else is far worse. So by default, it is him.

Yep. We really need to see what a healthy Hayward, hopefully improved Brown and Tatum, and Walker lineup looks like.   They are our best players.  It’s kind of a make or break year to see if these pieces fit all together, and if not maybe one of them gets traded.

Maybe a better question is who starts at center.  We need defense, rebounding, and rim running with this group.  Maybe Poirier is the answer, and we bring Kanter off the bench for scoring.

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Ideally, none of the above. Hayward is a small forward, RWill is a center, Theis is a back-up and GWill is still learning the game.

PS..out of curiosity, how has Robert looked in the summer leagues?

Curious to see if his play has progressed since last season.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think the key is to get the most talent on the floor.  KW, JB, JT, GH, EK, and then use the rebounding of all to RUN!!  This is a running lineup.  MS will come in early and often.  GW and RW will come in to provide a D heavy lineup.  We are lacking a balanced big who is strong on O and D like AL was, so we will have to morph the game plan more to match the strengths of the players on the floor.  With our increase in rebounding and small ball lineup I personally think we will have to run more...

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think the key is to get the most talent on the floor.  KW, JB, JT, GH, EK, and then use the rebounding of all to RUN!!  This is a running lineup.  MS will come in early and often.  GW and RW will come in to provide a D heavy lineup.  We are lacking a balanced big who is strong on O and D like AL was, so we will have to morph the game plan more to match the strengths of the players on the floor.  With our increase in rebounding and small ball lineup I personally think we will have to run more...

And this is what we desperately need.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 09:16:25 AM »

Offline KeepBigAl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Smaller lineups - Hayward

Bigger lineups - Theis b/c he can strech the floor somewhat and help make up for some of Kantners defensive deficiencies.

Second half of the season, GWILL could get there if he can prove his height is not an issue and displays consistent jumper

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think Hayward.  I think we need him starting rather than off the bench because we need his confidence to get back to an appropriate level for him to start playing close to all-star basketball again.  As for the concerns about him getting beat up by opposing PFs, I think that's ok for a few minutes before subs come in.  I see a rotation like:

1st Quarter
12:00 - Start with Kemba/Jaylen/Jayson/Hayward/Kanter
7:00 - Grant Williams subs into PF spot for Hayward; Smart subs in for Jaylen; RWIII for Kanter (Kemba/Smart/Tatum/GW/RWIII)
2:00 - Hayward subs in for Tatum; Edwards in for Kemba; Theis for GW (Edwards/Smart/Hayward/Theis/RWIII)

2nd Quarter
12:00 - Start with Edwards/Smart/Hayward/Theis/Kanter
9:00 - Kemba subs in for Edwards; Jaylen for Smart (Kemba/Jaylen/Hayward/Theis/Kanter)
5:00 - Tatum subs in for Hayward; GW for Theis; RWIII for Kanter (Kemba/Jaylen/Tatum/GW/RWIII)
2:00 - Smart subs in for GW (Kemba/Smart/Jaylen/Tatum/RWIII)

Its not perfect (a long stretch for Theis in there I notice), but its more to generally show that we can start small at PF while not being small all game long.  If that is loosely repeated in quarters 3 and 4, then that gives us:
Kemba 38 min (too high)
Jaylen 28 min
Tatum 30 min
Hayward 28 min
Kanter 24 min
Smart 24 min (a little too low, he can come in a bit earlier in some of those subs, take some of Kemba's minutes, and will play more in 4th Q)
RWIII 24 min
GW 16 min
Theis 18 min
Edwards 10 min

Under this idea, we'd only have 14 minutes a game where one of GW/Theis is not our PF, both guys who I think have the size to play the position well.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 09:27:42 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If healthy the previous years, we all assumed the lineup was going to be Irving/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Horford. Irving has been replaced by Walker and Horford has been replaced by a committee of Kanter/Williams/Williams/Poirier/Theis.

I think Hayward starting is pretty much set in stone imo. With the loss of Horford’s playmaking ability, I think it’s pretty important Hayward plays to make up for it because none of the other wings are really good at that. I think Walker/Brown/Tatum/Hayward are a lock. Only position and that might/will change will be the big man spot where I think they’ll play the matchups. Though, I do believe they will start off with Kanter and see how that goes. Ultimately, I see Ainge making a move at some point to consolidate and get a better center during the course of the season.

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2019, 09:39:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Both teams say no to that FWIW. Everyone loves "their" guy.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Tatum
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 09:48:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
You have to try Hayward and see.

Of course he isn't a power forward, but when there is a mismatch, it isn't a given that the bigger player wins it. For it to work, the advantages of playing Hayward have to outweigh the disadvantages. He will get overpowered more often than we would like, but he should be able to exploit bigger guys trying to cover him too. We just have to end up handling the mismatches better.

If we can't figure out a way to exploit having three guys like this, we can't keep three guys like this.

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 09:50:57 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Pascal Siakam

https://tradenba.com/trades/SJqMGi2-H

Both teams say no to that FWIW. Everyone loves "their" guy.

I know.  I kind of like it the more I think about it though.  Perhaps too shortsighted of me.  But it seems lately that a shortsighted view in the NBA is the only accurate view with how often players change teams.

I like that we would become a team that can defend and a team that should have multiple playmakers on the floor at all times.  Two things that are fun to watch as a fan.