Poll

Does Taco make the team

Yes. Taco time is here to stay.
92 (61.7%)
No. No room for Tacos
57 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year  (Read 61913 times)

Re: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2019, 03:52:52 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I said No, but I would not be surprised if he made it.

I guarantee he will get a big offer overseas.

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2019, 04:15:10 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Hate say no but he be better off in Maine for awhile to work on his game
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2019, 06:03:24 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
His potential is actually extremely limited by being a big stiff!

I actually was surprised how well he moves, I was expecting him to be less mobile and a bigger stiff.  While. he is not fast. I was impressed how he runs the floor and the like for a guy his size.

TP. For seeing what I see.

I do, too. 

Also he was active, had good anticipation, and made good choices protecting the paint.

His amazing length mostly made up for his slow lateral acceleration, I thought.

Good hands, looks like.

For someone that big, really good joints, good balance. Guys that big seldom last long because of foot problems, but he might be an exception. Just a really good body.

On D he wasn’t bending his knees, instead bending at the waist - useless posture. But you have to wonder how much of a stance he even needs with his length; and nobody is moving him off his spot!

I was amazed. He might actually have a future.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2019, 12:58:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Statistical proof that your team is much better with Taco on the court than off the court.

https://youtu.be/3YY2BRtAVCs

You mean statistical proof UCF is better with Tacko Fall on the court.

Not convinced you can say the same about a single NBA team

Be convinced, soon you will be.

I'm impressed. Only 60% of the voters are wrong on this topic LoL
Tacko Fall posted the worst lane agility and 3/4 times at the combine. He doesn’t have a single discernible offensive skill and shot 36% from the free throw line this year.

He’s not an NBA player and won’t even get a 2 way contract. Those will go to Struss and Waters.

Are you still holding this belief to be true?

I don't see how dunking in the inside scoring isn't one of his skills he broke the NCAA record for field goal percentage at 74 I believe.

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2019, 01:03:09 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Anyone but Yabusele !

The infatuation with the above is criminal

Slow, no shot and a big arse doesn’t get it done

Does he have pictures?

Tend to agree.  Feels like Sully 2.0 - only far, far less skilled.

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think you are the one not paying attention to modern basketball. Probably 32gms who ignored his unlimited potential twice also need to read up on basketball.

BTW who cares if he is a nice guy or not? We are not looking for a son in law!

Here is the thing. Basketball GM's make mistakes everyday just like you and me.

That's why the stuff is fun because guys like Draymond Green DeAndre Jordan Rudy gobert even The Greek Freak. Most teams passed on all those guys.

so the stuff happens every day and that's why it's fun to debate I think the GM's made a huge mistake if you disagree with that that's fine.

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2019, 02:10:38 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think you are the one not paying attention to modern basketball. Probably 32gms who ignored his unlimited potential twice also need to read up on basketball.

That's why the stuff is fun because guys like Draymond Green DeAndre Jordan Rudy gobert even The Greek Freak. Most teams passed on all those guys.

so the stuff happens every day and that's why it's fun to debate I think the GM's made a huge mistake if you disagree with that that's fine.

I agree. 

You can also add Jimmy Butler, Isaiah Thomas, Carlos Boozer, Nikola Jokic and Gilbert Arenas to that list. 

Sure Arenas ended up out of the league for being a bonehead, but all five of those guys got drafted 30th or later, and each one of them has gone on to make at least one All-Star team.

Hell Isaiah Thomas was one pick away from going undrafted based purely on his physical attributes, yet he's gone on to average 18.5 PPG so far over 10 years in the league.

Even looking at a guy like Etwaun Moore - Danny drafted him 55th overall, and while he never looked like an NBA star he has been a good rotation player in this league throughout his career.  Cases like that aren't especially uncommon.

Whether it's drafting total bums in the top 5, or allowing future all-stars to slip into the second round (both have happened more then their share of times) - it's not at all unheard of for NBA GM's to make horribly bad judgement calls on NBA prospects. 

They get it right more often then not, but the exceptions happen frequently enough to demonstrate that it IS worth taking a gamble once in a while.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:17:04 AM by Muzzy66 »

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2019, 02:23:51 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

And we have guys like Ben Wallace, Bruce Bowen and Brad Miller whom all went undrafted.

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2019, 02:33:05 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I definatwly agree that GMs mess up
Maybe too often considering the info the get.

But you ignored what triggered my comment. Modern NBA does not favor huge guys. Taco may be more agile than he size dictates but he still looks like a tree even compared to Marc Gasol. Moden NBA wants tall long agile players in the mold of KD, Giannis, Capella and not the second coming of Bryant Reeves. Yes he could be a nice offensive option but in defense his is a huge liability unless we start playing zone def.

Of course he is an intriguing case and I d much rather have him than yabu but not drafting him is not a big mistake unless he turns into a 20mpg player

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2019, 03:52:52 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
My opinion is that they will stash Tacko in the G-League for a year and take their chances on another team not signing him, and revisit him next year when hopefully he's more polished, his conditioning is better, etc. He's entertaining to watch for sure but the competition he would play against in the NBA will be a lot higher.

Put the Tacko in the fridge and reheat it for next year  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2019, 05:14:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

But you ignored what triggered my comment. Modern NBA does not favor huge guys. Taco may be more agile than he size dictates but he still looks like a tree even compared to Marc Gasol. Moden NBA wants tall long agile players in the mold of KD, Giannis, Capella and not the second coming of Bryant Reeves. Yes he could be a nice offensive option but in defense his is a huge liability unless we start playing zone def.

Of course he is an intriguing case and I d much rather have him than yabu but not drafting him is not a big mistake unless he turns into a 20mpg player

One of Brad's secret tricks up his sleeve is the 3-2 zone lol, Tacko is a perfect fit.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2019, 05:16:08 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I see MVP/DPOY potential in this guy. The most unstoppable offensive force since a healthy KD
- LilRip

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2019, 05:54:15 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Not saying it will automatically translate in the main league but Summer league are dominated by speedy guards. Everytime Tacko is on the floor, these guards would be reluctant to drive at the rim. Stretch 5 could abuse him, indeed. But he isn't that much slower than other traditional 7 footers out there.

Tacko is really agile for his size and he covers alot of space. Not to mention, he have very good court awareness. You don't usually see that on other 7 footers.

And people said he's not stiff. Unicorns ain't perfect as they don't have the strength to combat legitimate center like Tacko in the post. Feed him in the deep post and there's almost no one who can stop him there.

He'd be useful against the likes of Embiid, Giannis and Gasol as the team wouldn't need to double them any longer. At worst, he can give you 6 hard fouls.

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2019, 06:30:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tacko Fall is this year's Robert Upshaw. CB was ablaze with people contending that Upshaw was:

At first...a 1st round pick
Then...a potential steal as a 2nd rounder
And after not being drafted...a must have undrafted free agent pick up because GMs make mistakes all the time and Upshaw was a future DPOY that the GMs just overlooked.
Finally....he was going to be the next great Laker center because LAL signed him. Ainge screwed up. OMG how did we miss out on him.

Yeah, then Upshaw was cut before the season started and nevered played a single NBA game ever.

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2019, 06:43:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is going to play some NBA minutes, but will he be a superstar probably not.    But right now he looks better than Gerschon.  We all know to take summer league with a grain of salt.   But it is better to do well, than not do well in terms of performance but sure, it is not a good predictor of NBA success.

Upshaw has some other flaws that scared people away that Fall does not.

The 7'0" center then transferred to Washington. After sitting out the 2013–14 season per NCAA transfer rules, he played 19 games for the Huskies, averaging 10.9 points, 8.2 rebounds and 4.5 blocks per game. On January 26, 2015, Upshaw was dismissed from the Washington program, again for violations of team rules. He was leading the country in blocked shots per game at the time of his dismissal and had led the Huskies in rebounding

Upshaw declared his eligibility for the 2015 NBA draft rather than transfer to another college program. At the NBA Draft combine, Upshaw measured as one of the tallest players in attendance (an even seven feet tall in shoes) with the longest standing reach and wingspan. He was projected as a late first-round or early second-round selection,[4] but went undrafted, likely due to his personal issues.

In July 2015, he joined the Los Angeles Lakers for the 2015 NBA Summer League,[5] where he averaged a mere 1.4 points and 2.2 rebounds per game. Upshaw felt there was more in him than his Summer League showing, and after dropping 20 pounds,[6] he signed with the Lakers for training camp on September 14, 2015.[7] He was later waived by the Lakers on October 20 after appearing in four preseason games.[8] On October 31, 2015, he was acquired by the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA Development League as an affiliate player of the Lakers.[9] Upshaw received consistent minutes for the D-Fenders throughout the season before losing his spot in the rotation in late February 2016. On March 11, 2016, his contract was terminated by the D-League for violating the league's anti-drug program

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Upshaw

So it was his drug use that cost him his career.   
Are you aware of some stuff on Tacko Fall that maybe the rest of us are not?   Do please share?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:52:25 AM by Celtics4ever »