Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 91816 times)

Re: For those not very familiar with Romeo Langford...
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 07:05:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
guards are a dime a dozen

star guards like to play with star bigs

until we tank and get our embiid we are screwed.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 07:06:29 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnZrEmorIw I think this is a nice breakdown of his strengths and his weaknesses. He seems to have a bunch of potential, and some of his advanced numbers are very encouraging. Hopefully the mental/effort side of him will continue to improve with time on an NBA team.

The weakness section was really concerning. Not a read and react player, poor passing vision/skills, spaces out on D, often fails to put up a fight.
The fact that the strengths section had a bunch of excuses didn't bode well. I actually thought, oh its all one discussion strength and weakness. Then the screen for weakness did popped up.

Langford was a huge reach.
He isn't a reach for me. He's just not a fit. If last season taught us anything is that we need less ball dominate players and more catch and shoot guys. If we lose Brown in a trade drafting Langford at 14 would be a homerun.

Well after this season I’ll know if DA is just a bad drafter or not. At this point I think he is a horrible drafter. I didn’t like any of his picks as I fell they didn’t fit what we already have and didn’t fill any of our needs. Unless Rozier is walking drafting 2 guards just don’t make sense to me. We have a gaping whole at center and have a plethora of Power Forwards and we draft an undersized PF? It was just a senseless draft to me and Langford doesn’t seem like he’s all that talented (to me). Just look like nothing more than an average player.

Who would have been there at 20.

Why pass on a polished 20 year old who is 6foot11 250pounds who plays with a relentless motor. Has excellent mobility and athleticism rebounds like a beast, blocks shots, handles, passes and has an excellent shot with range.

Right now there is no one on the team that can distribute the ball. No one.

And in the front court we have a bench players.

The only way these picks make a bit of sense is based on who we are signing with the capspace and there being a trade or 2.

This is obviously not a conplete team yet. So......

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 07:21:35 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnZrEmorIw I think this is a nice breakdown of his strengths and his weaknesses. He seems to have a bunch of potential, and some of his advanced numbers are very encouraging. Hopefully the mental/effort side of him will continue to improve with time on an NBA team.

The weakness section was really concerning. Not a read and react player, poor passing vision/skills, spaces out on D, often fails to put up a fight.
The fact that the strengths section had a bunch of excuses didn't bode well. I actually thought, oh its all one discussion strength and weakness. Then the screen for weakness did popped up.

He isn't a reach for me. He's just not a fit. If last season taught us anything is that we need less ball dominate players and more catch and shoot guys. If we lose Brown in a trade drafting Langford at 14 would be a homerun.

Well after this season I’ll know if DA is just a bad drafter or not. At this point I think he is a horrible drafter. I didn’t like any of his picks as I fell they didn’t fit what we already have and didn’t fill any of our needs. Unless Rozier is walking drafting 2 guards just don’t make sense to me. We have a gaping whole at center and have a plethora of Power Forwards and we draft an undersized PF? It was just a senseless draft to me and Langford doesn’t seem like he’s all that talented (to me). Just look like nothing more than an average player.

Couldn’t have said it better.  Terrible draft.  What is the obsession with undersized players.  You win in this league with dominate big men.  We have none. 

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 07:28:00 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
If he can be converted into a PG I'll never question Danny's drafting in the lotto again. Saw that he can navigate the PnR pretty well, if he hones his passing he could be a pretty good PG. Big if though.

You cannot be the ball handler in a pick and roll in the nba if you cannot shoot 3s. The defense will just go under the pick and the play is dead.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 07:38:48 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Is he being looked at as a PG?  One of the tweets I saw last night said Danny had his Kyrie replacement. 

That said, I like the pick!  Five-star recruit just a year ago.  Recruited by the big guys, Indiana, Louisville, Kansas, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, North Carolina, UCLA, and Duke.  His overall rankings, Rivals: 6  247Sports: 5  ESPN: 5.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 07:55:09 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Couldn’t have said it better.  Terrible draft.  What is the obsession with undersized players.  You win in this league with dominate big men.  We have none.
No, you really don’t actually.

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 08:20:18 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

This draft was absolute terrible for the Celtics. Washington picking Hachimura at #9 is bad as well, but Boston had the worst draft of all the teams.

You have 3 first round picks and you end up with Romeo Langford, Grant Williams and Carsen Edwards.

I think Langford is the worst one, I wouldn't even be surprised if he's out of the league in 5 years. Williams isn't terrible at #22, in the best case scenario you have a Draymond Green type of player, but Williams being undersized will limit him regardless. Edwards is fine at #33, he can be micro-wave scorer, I'm kind of excited to watch him (is he getting playing time though?).

But I'm not going to justify this by pointing out some bright spots. It's been a total failure. There were capable starting centers on the board (the thing we lack you know) with Bitadze and Fernando, we didn't gamble on someone with high upside (Little, Bazley, Bol) which you can afford when you have 3 picks at your disposal. 

It looks like the Celtics had NO idea what to do with their picks. It's ridiculous.

If I had known the draft would work out like this I'd rather have been as crazy as the Lakers and have given New Orleans 4 draft picks for one year of Davis.

This off-season is a complete disaster. I have no words for it. From a likely perennial contender we went to one of the worst run teams in the league.

The only teams that are in a worse position than us are probably: Charlotte, Detroit, Washington, Orlando, Miami and Cleveland. Luckily they're all in the East, so we have a chance to keep making the playoffs  :'(

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I Just watched a video about Langford and I do not feel good about this pick. Seems like a guy who kills ball movement, doesn't move without the ball and does not make the high number of jump shots he takes.
He seems like a fine ball handler. Maybe Brad sees him as a potential tall PG instead of SG?
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 08:26:07 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

This draft was absolute terrible for the Celtics. Washington picking Hachimura at #9 is bad as well, but Boston had the worst draft of all the teams.

You have 3 first round picks and you end up with Romeo Langford, Grant Williams and Carsen Edwards.

I think Langford is the worst one, I wouldn't even be surprised if he's out of the league in 5 years. Williams isn't terrible at #22, in the best case scenario you have a Draymond Green type of player, but Williams being undersized will limit him regardless. Edwards is fine at #33, he can be micro-wave scorer, I'm kind of excited to watch him (is he getting playing time though?).

But I'm not going to justify this by pointing out some bright spots. It's been a total failure. There were capable starting centers on the board (the thing we lack you know) with Bitadze and Fernando, we didn't gamble on someone with high upside (Little, Bazley, Bol) which you can afford when you have 3 picks at your disposal. 

It looks like the Celtics had NO idea what to do with their picks. It's ridiculous.

If I had known the draft would work out like this I'd rather have been as crazy as the Lakers and have given New Orleans 4 draft picks for one year of Davis.

This off-season is a complete disaster. I have no words for it. From a likely perennial contender we went to one of the worst run teams in the league.

The only teams that are in a worse position than us are probably: Charlotte, Detroit, Washington, Orlando, Miami and Cleveland. Luckily they're all in the East, so we have a chance to keep making the playoffs  :'(

Lol. The first part has me joker laughing.

3 first round picks and team emds up with 4 second round players

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Really, did you see what Phoenix did?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2019, 08:57:14 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Really, did you see what Phoenix did?

Phoenix made some weird picks. I don't think Cameron Johnson is necessarily a bad pick, but not what Phoenix needed to do. It comes down to whether Phoenix can sign their new point guard in free agency.

If Irving, Walker or Russell ends up in a Suns uniform everything makes a lot more sense. But if that doesn't you're right. Minnesota is in a bad spot as well, it's unfair to ask Towns to carry that team into the playoffs.

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He seems to be good friends with d Angelo Russell

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
His highlights look a lot like Jaylen

Oh no.

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

If he didn't had the excuses on the strengths section, he would have been a top 5 pick.

The point of those is you can see the potential, and that if he fixes those excuses, that's what he can do.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2019, 02:03:19 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He seems like a reasonable gamble at 14 I think the issue is most of us would rather gamble on a position of need. I mean to pick a guy at 14 to have him play in Maine all year makes little sense to me.