Author Topic: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question  (Read 16274 times)

Ask A CelticsStronger A Question
« on: October 19, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, one of the problems with the internet is that we're all faceless people behind a computer screen.  There's less of a personal connection, and people are completely anonymous.

In an effort to build some community around here, I'm introducing a "Ask A CelticsStronger..." thread.  Basically, use this thread to get to know each others.  Ask questions.  It can be about a connection to CelticsStrong or the Celtics, but it doesn't have to be.  Ask anything, so long as it's within our rules (i.e., not rude, sexual, etc.)  Not everybody is going to answer, but for those who do maybe you'll learn something about the people you're cheering / debating with.

And don't feel like you have to confine questions to the volume posters.  Some of the folks with 50 posts are no doubt way more interesting than the ones with 10,000.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
roy, are you really rich and famous?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 02:02:35 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
TP for a good idea, Roy.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Great idea, Roy!

I'd be happy to host some full-on "who's who" profiles somewhere too, if there's interest.

Me, I'm just the geek/ jerk who convinced CBlog to give me the site. I work for a cryptocurrency exchange by day. I was born and raised on Martha's Vineyard.

Fun fact: my "silent" business partner behind CStrong is a former winner of the tv show Survivor.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 03:53:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Neat idea, Roy. TP.

I'd like to know what everyone else does/did for a living. I always find it interesting to know what line of work others on here are/were in and see how far the common love of Celtics basketball permeates different careers and occupations.

I'll start - I'm a clinical ethicist and professor, and I direct a postdoctoral fellowship in clinical ethics. As a clinical ethicist I help resolve ethical issues that arise during healthcare, including issues such as: disagreement about the appropriateness of withholding/withdrawing life-sustaining treatment at the end of life, assisting with medical decision-making for patients who can't make medical decisions for themselves, HIV disclosures to third parties, pain medication management (family refusing pain medication for a patient in pain, a patient demonstrating drug-seeking behavior and requesting opiates, etc.), among many other things.

What do others on here do?

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I’ll add the least interesting bio on the site so far!

I am a data scientist living in Arlington, VA. I do mostly HPC stuff for military clients. Hoping to move back to the Boston area in the next few years, but there’s plenty of Bostonians out here so I’ll take what I can get.

Certainly more Celtics/Patriots friendly here than in Chicago and Indiana!
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 05:13:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't have a six figure job yet but I have a modest life currently. I had 4 different jobs all as supervisor/lead positions. Have a background in electronics, chemistry and sold a few short stories on the side. My jobs have been diverse.

My question is who volunteers still?

In my younger days I was into the progress of education so I helped with fundraising for a few state school programs. I helped with computers in the classrooms and better resources for challenged students. I met good people and was glad to see a lot of programs make it to most cities within the state.

I still make sure to volunteer for a few causes but nothing on such a large scale due to time. Everything is in the local community now but I feel seeing who you help in person is a little more palpable.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I’m in insurance.
I was supposed to do something truly great but started hanging with the wrong people at the age of 14.
Eventually I became an actuary and that is what I do now.

My question to the Celtics strongers is:
Do you think you did with your life what you were supposed to do? Do you feel accomplished?

I am a fully credentialed actuary and have a “good” life but I don’t think I have done what I’m supposed to with my life.
It’s a weird feeling / thoughts
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 05:59:32 PM by NKY fan »

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 06:27:21 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
I’m in insurance.
I was supposed to do something truly great but started hanging with the wrong people at the age of 14.
Eventually I became an actuary and that is what I do now.

My question to the Celtics strongers is:
Do you think you did with your life what you were supposed to do? Do you feel accomplished?

I am a fully credentialed actuary and have a “good” life but I don’t think I have done what I’m supposed to with my life.
It’s a weird feeling / thoughts

Thanks for sharing.

Don't be so sure that whatever you pictured as "great" was ever even the right goal. Career path is only one component and it sounds like you're doing fine. Perhaps there are great things that are totally compatible with your current job, or everyday greatness in how you treat people around you.

Have an open mind to your own greatness!

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 06:29:38 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
I don't have a six figure job yet but I have a modest life currently. I had 4 different jobs all as supervisor/lead positions. Have a background in electronics, chemistry and sold a few short stories on the side. My jobs have been diverse.

In my younger days I was into the progress of education so I helped with fundraising for a few state school programs. I helped with computers in the classrooms and better resources for challenged students. I met good people and was glad to see a lot of programs make it to most cities within the state.

I still make sure to volunteer for a few causes but nothing on such a large scale due to time. Everything is in the local community now but I feel seeing who you help in person is a little more palpable.

My partner at Fanstreme has a great nonprofit that he runs on a volunteer basis: http://www.pertheskids.org

I try to help out a little here and there with the website etc but definitely admire folks who do more!

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 06:52:03 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm a clinical liason for a physical therapy company. Primarily, I help coordinate pre and post surgical physical therapy for patients - which involves scheduling, handling the insurance and billing, and keeping all parties briefed on progress/setbacks/etc. when we deal with collegiate and pro athletes.

It's far more tedious than it sounds.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 07:10:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Neat idea, Roy. TP.

I'd like to know what everyone else does/did for a living. I always find it interesting to know what line of work others on here are/were in and see how far the common love of Celtics basketball permeates different careers and occupations.

I'll start - I'm a clinical ethicist and professor, and I direct a postdoctoral fellowship in clinical ethics. As a clinical ethicist I help resolve ethical issues that arise during healthcare, including issues such as: disagreement about the appropriateness of withholding/withdrawing life-sustaining treatment at the end of life, assisting with medical decision-making for patients who can't make medical decisions for themselves, HIV disclosures to third parties, pain medication management (family refusing pain medication for a patient in pain, a patient demonstrating drug-seeking behavior and requesting opiates, etc.), among many other things.

What do others on here do?
Potter, I may be wrong here but I believe you’ve mentioned in the past that you are in the Cleveland area?

Are you a professor at Case Western?
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

My family has been heavily involved at Camp Fatima EC Week if anyone is familiar with that.

I haven’t been in a few years as I’ve been out of the state and had work/school obligations, but if anyone else is familiar with the camp I’d love to hear from them!

I’m hoping to make it next year. It’s been since like 2016 since I’ve been and I miss it greatly

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hey CB parents: How many, how old, and are they Cs fans?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Two step children, both in college.  Chose not to have biological children of my own.  Any other step-parents out there?