Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43956 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2018, 07:51:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Next Bill Russell is absurd guys!   Russ won on early level...

I am excited about the pick as anyone but let us not go off the deep end.

he ll be lucky to be John Hotrod Williams

I'd be happy with a Hot Rod-esque career at #27.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2018, 07:57:16 AM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Some very smart posters here, like Salt and Roy, seem very bearish on Williams.  Don't be fooled, I've scouted pretty well over the past decade to 12 years when I bother to watch, and I think Williams is a great pick, and attones for passing on DeAndre Jordan.

For reference, I was on record for Tatum last year, was perhaps the most vocal Kyrie trade supporter (i posted videos of IT and Kyrie showing how Kyrie was simply better, stats be [dang]ed) and after we got Morris I immediately researched and stated we won that trade. 

So I feel my opinion has been overall pretty solid the past year, and I love this pick.  This is not like selecting Fab Melo or Deyonta Davis, it's like picking DeAndre Jordan or Willie Caulie-Stein.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2018, 07:57:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is going to be a test of whether the Celtics can coach up a poor free throw shooter's mechanics from abysmal to adequate.  When was the last free throw shooter here who's been as bad as Williams?
That's my concern too.  Celtics generally like good FT shooters, sometimes at the expense of other skills.  With all the shooting talent on this team, you just need your weakest offensive player to hit FTs at a reliable rate.

« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2018, 07:59:39 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
double post

« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2018, 07:59:49 AM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
From another thread:

He's quite decorated:

#3 in PER in the SEC since 2009-2010:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/sec/leaders/per-player-career.html

#2 in SEC Box +/- since 09-10:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/sec/leaders/bpm-player-career.html

#2 in SEC Defensive Box +/- since 09-10:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/sec/leaders/dbpm-player-career.html

#2 in SEC Defensive Rebound % since 09-10:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/sec/leaders/drb-pct-player-career.html

#6 in SEC Block % since 09-10:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/sec/leaders/drb-pct-player-career.html

The other names to pop up multiple times at the top are Willie Cauley Stein, Bobby Portis, and JaMychal Green.  Not bad company for the #27 pick, our only 'quiet' draft in 6 years.

If he learns to improve his shooting, and his ballhandling / passing some, the sky's the limit.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2018, 08:01:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Some very smart posters here, like Salt and Roy, seem very bearish on Williams.  Don't be fooled, I've scouted pretty well over the past decade to 12 years when I bother to watch, and I think Williams is a great pick, and attones for passing on DeAndre Jordan.

Nah, I'm definitely happy with the pick.  I'm just trying to keep my expectations grounded.  If we get a good contributor at #27 -- and I think we did -- then I'm happy.  He doesn't needed to be DeAndre Jordan in my mind for this to be a great pick.  As I mentioned earlier, if he just turns out to be a more engaged Sam Dalembert, I'd be very happy with that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Honest question: When was the last time we as a fanbase were collectively happy with who the Celtics selected in the draft?

Was it when we picked Smart or Young?

It feels good to see that everyone for the most part at the very least approve of this year's pick.

The best analogy I can think of is Gerald Green, who was also projected higher and “fell into our lap.” People were really excited about him too.

« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2018, 08:10:20 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Late in the first round is the place to take risks and I'm glad we're taking a risk with him given the potential high return. If he doesn't perform to expectation it's not like we wasted a lottery pick on him.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2018, 08:11:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Boy is his shot ugly.

But the little bit of dribbling he does in the highlight videos actually looks pretty smooth, like he will be able to learn to handle the ball for hand-offs and take 1 or 2 dribbles rolling to the rim. He'll be expected to know how to find the open man on the Celtics and there seem to be indications he can do that, too. Horford and Barnes will be good mentors for him. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for him to learn to shoot but it does seem like he'll be able to do a few different things on offense.

But it'll all come down to the defense and that'll be a test of all these concerns about his motor.

I'm curious: does anyone have any opinions about him skipping Brooklyn to watch the draft at a Buffalo Wild Wings with his family and friends? I think it's kind of nice.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why wasn't he at the draft? There was no closeup when the pick was made.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2018, 08:23:52 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Love the pick.

Some experts put him on par defensively with Jaren Jackson.

If he can be a Capela-lite...this was a steal.

« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Why wasn't he at the draft? There was no closeup when the pick was made.

The only thing I've read is that he decided to watch the draft from his hometown with friends and family. I assumed it was to be with his people. There's video of him looking pretty happy when he's picked by Boston.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2018, 08:34:13 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This was a good pick,  7'5" wingspan, can guard the perimeter, 6'10" with a 40 inch vertical !

https://www.facebook.com/bleacherreport/videos/10154878620491006/

He lacks skills but lordy does he have potential.

Stevens said he's very high on him.

I still wanted Spellman, but I'm gonna trust Steven's judgement.

I don't like the fact he had immaturity issues and terrible shooting mechanics, but we gotta give him a chance.

Man, they say that same crap every year, lol ::) ;D. Didn't Stevens also say that R.J. Hunter was going to have a great career ::)? I just, I can't, lol ;D.

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly be watching the guy in the Summer League, etc., but it's just never a good idea to take any guy with a sub-par motor and/or work ethic, imo, as those are characteristics that you simply cannot teach, in my view. You've either got it or you don't, to me, but we'll see as to what happens.

Had Williams been drafted by the Warriors, for example, I could have seen that possibly panning out owing to Draymond and company constantly being in his ear and all that comes with being immersed in a championship environment, but I really don't know about this one, man, and what's the deal with Khyri Thomas?

All this complaining about Williams when your binky didn't even get drafted? ROFL

That was pretty funny.

« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2018, 08:37:54 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

For reference, I was on record for Tatum last year, was perhaps the most vocal Kyrie trade supporter (i posted videos of IT and Kyrie showing how Kyrie was simply better, stats be [dang]ed) and after we got Morris I immediately researched and stated we won that trade. 

So I feel my opinion has been overall pretty solid the past year, and I love this pick.  This is not like selecting Fab Melo or Deyonta Davis, it's like picking DeAndre Jordan or Willie Caulie-Stein.

Not sure the motor criticisms are fair. His drb% is on par with the tops in the country, and much higher than JJJ and he has a very high block % as well.

« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2018, 08:44:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This was a good pick,  7'5" wingspan, can guard the perimeter, 6'10" with a 40 inch vertical !

https://www.facebook.com/bleacherreport/videos/10154878620491006/

He lacks skills but lordy does he have potential.

Stevens said he's very high on him.

I still wanted Spellman, but I'm gonna trust Steven's judgement.

I don't like the fact he had immaturity issues and terrible shooting mechanics, but we gotta give him a chance.

Man, they say that same crap every year, lol ::) ;D. Didn't Stevens also say that R.J. Hunter was going to have a great career ::)? I just, I can't, lol ;D.

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly be watching the guy in the Summer League, etc., but it's just never a good idea to take any guy with a sub-par motor and/or work ethic, imo, as those are characteristics that you simply cannot teach, in my view. You've either got it or you don't, to me, but we'll see as to what happens.

Had Williams been drafted by the Warriors, for example, I could have seen that possibly panning out owing to Draymond and company constantly being in his ear and all that comes with being immersed in a championship environment, but I really don't know about this one, man, and what's the deal with Khyri Thomas?

CBS is optimistic and excited  ;D .... he sees the potential and that he was suppose to be drafted in the late lottery but slipped to 27. Doesn't happen everyday

Ainge sounded a bit more reserved especially answering the last question that RW needs to work hard and bring it...along these lines. But was protecting his character concerns etc all night long

Celts are lucky they had one up on the GSW because I likely they would have taken him (to replace Mcgee).  If used correctly, Capela, Mcgee (and now williams) all can be used as weapons vs Lebron/Cavs and GSW.  Especially vs Lebron who needs his shot swatted a few times make him think twice before driving in.