Author Topic: In Praise of Kyrie Irving  (Read 11358 times)

Re: In Praise of Kyrie Irving
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Ongoing praise for Irving. Since this original post, Irving is averaging 25 ppg, 8 apg, 5 rpg, and 3 spg with only 2 topg on 50/30/75 shooting.

So far this year, he is averaging a career high in rpg, apg, spg, and bpg, and a career low in topg. Also, he has a career best defensive rating.

Kyrie Irving is really good at basketball. I hope tonight is the beginning of a team winning streak, but I don't want to lose how good Irving has been this season.

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He's a talented scorer in a league that caters to PGs.  This is Boston, though, where we care about wins.  So win games, superstar.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
He's a talented scorer in a league that caters to PGs.  This is Boston, though, where we care about wins.  So win games, superstar.

Definitely agreeing with you on all points (trying to build a bridge here, tarheels).

I'm growing impatient with the team struggles, but I want to give him and Stevens more time in this situation.

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2018, 11:25:27 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

He's playing excellent defense this season, and is doing a great job as a facilitator. He had 13 assists, 3 steals and 1 block the other night, and was a team high +13. Kyrie is definitely not the problem here.

Tatum was a -12, Rozier and Brown were each a -15 for comparison.

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He was also -12 until the last 4 minutes of the game last night.  He can take over in short bursts, but he also gives up a lot of points on the other end.  He is just a bigger version of Thomas.

In the same way Durant is a bigger version of Kris Middleton, or Draymond Green is a bigger version of Justice Winslow, or Anthony Davis is a bigger version of Jerami Grant, or Lebron James is a bigger version of Evan Turner.
Not at all.  Sure those guys are all bigger, but they are also significantly more skilled, better all around players, etc.  Irving and Thomas are essentially the same player.  They are poor defenders, don't rebound well, aren't great passers, but are superb scorers and ball handlers.  They turn it on in the 4th quarter and are clutch, but they slack off for much of the first 3 quarters such that maybe they wouldn't need late game heroics if they were just better for most of the game. 

Irving is a good to great player, but he isn't a #1 on a title team type player.  He isn't carrying a franchise to great playoff success.  I mean the C's were 1 game away from the Finals without Irving.  The regular season win percentage was only slightly better with Irving than with Rozier leading the way, and that includes the unsustainable 15-2 start to last year (Irving missed a game) .  You take that start out and Boston was actually worse with Irving than with Rozier (I know you can't do that, but the point remains).  The Cavs basically didn't replace Irving, had all kinds of injuries and turmoil, and basically ended up with the exact same record and still made the Finals.  The loss of Irving had basically no effect on the Cavs performance last year. 

And I have been beating this drum since before the trade was made so it isn't some new reactionary thing.  Irving's actual effect on wins and losses isn't anywhere near what the vast majority of this board thinks it is.

That is a weird type of argument. if you cannot do that, then the point should not exist much less remain.

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Kyrie wont be returning at this rate

Celts have a 500 record by the trade deadline... a drastic change needs to be considered....which means also entertaining idea to trade Irving

Talented scorer but not a great leader

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2018, 11:44:31 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Wow, I just don't understand the hate for Kyrie Irving that "some"   :angel: have on this site. It's as though he stole your significant other or something.

He's a 26-year-old kid who had a desire to get out of the shadow of the great LeBron James. I'm sure he's doing everything possible to win basketball games with the skill set he has.

Yet for some, he's as polarizing as Hillary or Trump.   

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2018, 11:54:22 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Wow, I just don't understand the hate for Kyrie Irving that "some"   :angel: have on this site. It's as though he stole your significant other or something.

He's a 26-year-old kid who had a desire to get out of the shadow of the great LeBron James. I'm sure he's doing everything possible to win basketball games with the skill set he has.

Yeah, I also don't understand the narrative.  It's as if Kyrie isn't capable of future growth as a player. 

People forget that there was a point in time where we all questioned Paul Pierce as a leader and winning player.  It makes no sense to assume that Irving isn't capable of becoming part of a winning team in Boston.  He's making every effort to play within Brad's system.  The pieces around him will fall into place eventually. 

The entire dynamic of this argument changes if/when Tatum reaches his true potential.  Kyrie isn't acting like a player who is unwilling to adapt.

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2018, 07:31:24 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
This is a friendly reminder also that Buddy Hield is only 9 months younger than Kyrie Irving.

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2018, 10:25:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I don't get it either. I am starting to think some people prefer crappy role players to talented, proven all-stars.

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2018, 09:01:48 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
After two down games (for everyone), Kyrie Irving had a great night last night with 26/10/5/5. I love the way he is distributing the ball in some of these games lately. It seems like he is growing as a passer and in his ability to control the game.

His defense is stellar too. He's not on ball much right now, but he is playing the helpside role perfectly with his quick hands and feet. He keeps drawing charges and getting steals that lead to fast breaks.

He is averaging 24/8/5/3 with only 3 turnovers a game on 47/32/75 shooting splits over his last 7 games. He is also drawing charges, which aren't in the box score. He is putting up those numbers in only 32 minutes per game.

Wins come first. Hopefully last night was a turning point (although I hoped that was the case against the Raptors a few weeks ago too). But if the Cs right this ship and Irving keeps putting up those steal, rebound, and assist numbers while scoring at the current level, he will deservedly be in the conversation for MVP.

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I've been on Kyries case for two weeks and last night was his best game IMO. He got others involved, Smart took the presser off of him to defend the top guard but it also raised Kyries intensity and effort playing with Smart. His comments  tell me he enjoys playing with Smart. Keep Brown coming off bench.

A nice double double, he let everyone else get involved and then in the 2nd half carried the team with clutch shots.

That's the Kyrie Irving we need to see.

Some believe he should never get criticized, I'm not one of those people.

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2018, 10:18:42 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
I've been on Kyries case for two weeks and last night was his best game IMO. He got others involved, Smart took the presser off of him to defend the top guard but it also raised Kyries intensity and effort playing with Smart. His comments  tell me he enjoys playing with Smart. Keep Brown coming off bench.

A nice double double, he let everyone else get involved and then in the 2nd half carried the team with clutch shots.

That's the Kyrie Irving we need to see.

Some believe he should never get criticized, I'm not one of those people.
I'm not afraid of criticizing him. Unfair, biased, overly negative criticism is another thing. Not saying you have - I honestly haven't paid that much attention to your posts about him.

I just thought he deserved some praise for his play.

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Kyrie really improved his defense since last year and is one of the only one that consistently attacks the basket consistently

he is definitely taking his play to another level

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
6 TO's last night. Does that make it a 5x5?

He did have a terrific game last night. It's been great to see him so engaged in defense this season. He's never going to be a great on-ball defender but he's getting himself into better position and using his quick hands and he's just playing more aggressive defensively.

His playmaking is also coming along. Similar to his defense, he's never going to be a Chris Paul/Jason Kidd kind of distributor but I wouldn't want him to be anyway. He's a great scorer. Now he's using his scoring to bend the defense so he can get others involved. That's the path for him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008