Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238925 times)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
There you go, your pick #27!

Sounds worse than Jared Sullinger demanding him to lose his weight

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Seems like he doesn’t love basketball.  That said, he is 21, and I would have blown it too at that age.  That is why the NBA is so hard.  Gotta grow up real fast.  Wouldnt doubt uses that codeine drink.  Purple drank. 

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
this is not good. I'm not the most responsible person in the world but if you waive millions of dollars in my face i'm showing up at least a half hour early wherever you want me to be. Imagine if some team took a chance on him in the lottery and he pulled this crap..

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Reminds me of Gerald Green’s rookie start. Didn’t he miss a flight?

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Guessing this is why he was available at #27.  If this guy becomes a distraction he'll either be stuffed in Portland or shipped out quickly. 

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
this is not good. I'm not the most responsible person in the world but if you waive millions of dollars in my face i'm showing up at least a half hour early wherever you want me to be. Imagine if some team took a chance on him in the lottery and he pulled this crap..
On the other hand look at the number of big buck lottery winners who go broke.  Some people are just incapable of helping themselves - hopefully he's not one of them.

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I don't love this.

That said, I'm holding onto my judgment right now. We don't know why.

He sounds like an immature kid. That annoys me as a fan, particularly if it means I don't get to watch him in summer league.

IF he plays like Dennis Rodman...let him be as immature as he wants to be.  :D

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Nice post bdm. Hopefully this puts things into a little bit of perspective here for some people. The torches and pitchforks are already out.

The dude was just drafted. Until I see this guy being lazy on the court, I am going to remain optimistic. He was the 27th pick (and this probably bummed him out). He is going to be part of an amazing organization and he will have every opportunity to succeed. And if he doesn’t, well, he isn’t supposed to because he was the 28th pick.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:26:23 PM by jambr380 »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
It could be because of bad character, bad sleeping habits, broken alarm, extreme traffic etc. Too many possible reasons, and it's oo early to pass judgment. That being said, definitely not a good look.

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2018, 07:18:08 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
http://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1013537987492302848

Yeah, not the greatest start to Williams’ Celtics career...

Lol.  He's very young.

and?

he needed to get his act together 5 years ago

everyone seems like they have been really nice to him so far

its time somebody pulls him aside....and give him a stern lecture and also a warning. The Celtics will drop him without shedding a tear
Baynes and Theiss are ahead him. Strike 1 needs to be told to him and remind him he already missed a call. Remind him he has a chance to be the A very wealthy young man if he shows up on time and works hard.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Can't blame him so far he is living up to his reputation. This is why he dropped. If he had an incredible work habit and was engaged at all times he probably would have been a lottery pick. If Brad can get him to play to his potential and keep him engaged that would be another great accomplishment and a steal in the draft.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I guess we need to see if he improves over time. Have to give him a chance to fix this

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
So when will the Robert Williams is a bust threads start?

When he spends the entire season in Stevens' dog house and gets no minutes his rookie season.

Or, when he goes to Europe after the team refuses to offer the 120% rookie scale.

You can’t wait for that to happen can you?  ;)

I would love to see his boneheadness cost him some money, because that may be the only thing that teaches him a lesson.

You could see it going that route. Another thing to consider is let's suppose he does live up to his potential, is there a worse guy on the roster you would be comfortable giving big money too?

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Some personal anecdotes on missing flights and "time management"

I love my wife.  So far she's had a very successful career, an executive at a company you all have heard of.  Works extremely hard, works all the time, gets the job done, and gets results.  Really I don't know how she does it.

But she does not understand the time it takes to get from Point A to Point B to save her life.  She's missed flights, she's missed meetings, she's missed engagements, if it has a specific start time, my wife has probably missed it.  She just can't handle time.  A couple of examples:

Movie starts at 7pm, movie theater is 15 minutes away, suggesting we leave anytime before 6:40 is ridiculous to her.  It just doesn't compute with her that 15 minutes away is from our parking lot to the movie theater parking lot.  It will take us 2 minutes to walk from our apartment to our car, 15 minutes to drive to the theater, 2-3 minutes to park and walk into the theater, 5-15 minutes to get tickets and snacks, she may want to use the bathroom before the movie starts, and then 2 minutes to get from the lobby to our seats.

Same thing going the airport.  She only calculates parking lot to parking lot.  Doesn't calculate if we need to get gas first, doesn't calculate that we have to park the car, take a shuttle, check bags, go through security lines, it might be a 20 minute walk to our gate, etc.  Doesn't calculate in rush hour traffic, or the possibility of long security lines.  Plane leaves at 7 doesn't mean we get there and board at 7, it means we board at 6:30, which means we should be at the airport by 6 at the latest.

I love my wife.  An extremely talented and hard worker.  She just struggles with the concept of time.  And I know others like this too.

She's gotten better over the years due to me "constantly nagging her" about it, but she struggles with it, still fails to account for things she should be aware of (do you need gas, is it rush hour, is it easy to find parking).  Gotten better, but she still struggles.

All that to say, there's hope for Robert Williams.  You can be a very talented hard worker with your head on straight, and just suck at time management, like my wife.
Wait. What’s your wife’s name? You just described mine.  :o ;)

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Everyone needs to step away from the ledge! Lol- If the worst thing he does in life is miss a flight, call me not concerned

We dont know the reason and even if he overslept, got caught in traffic , was sick or with family, that can be corrected going forward- It is surely not the end of the world- I have known brilliant people in life who couldnt be on time to save their lives even for a wedding! 😁