Author Topic: Shams: C’s/Kyrie to Meet to Discuss Future Before Draft  (Read 10035 times)

Re: Shams: C’s/Kyrie to Meet to Discuss Future Before Draft
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
My guess is Kyrie isn't coming back, and as others have speculated, this meeting is just a formality.  But who knows, you can't believe everything you hear and Kyrie is not an easy person to read.

I still want him back, even if I doubt it happens.

My gut tells me he's gone.  I'd certainly welcome him back, though. 

I just don't see what drawbacks come from actually having this meeting with Kyrie.  What are some legit points to NOT having this sitdown?

There are zero legit points to not having this sitdown. At worst you lose an hour of time. At best you get information you can use to make future decisions.

I think that the people who are not in favor of meeting with Kyrie are probably taking his (alleged impending) departure a bit too personally. It's business...deal with it pragmatically.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It would be hilarious if he ended up coming back after everything that has happened. The amount of people on this site that would have to eat crow...
Would be the most Kyrie thing ever.

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that he’s gone (similarly to the C’s apparently). Not sure how I’d react if he came back
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2019, 08:48:20 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
It would be hilarious if he ended up coming back after everything that has happened. The amount of people on this site that would have to eat crow...

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that he’s gone (similarly to the C’s apparently). Not sure how I’d react if he came back

Do we even want him back?

Or just for a couple of months and then ship him away to the highest bidder?

« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2019, 08:55:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

At this stage that’s what I’d try and do. Make him the centrepiece of a deal for someone
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2019, 09:03:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yea, I'm not taking Kyrie's departure well. I really liked him as a player and losing a player you like hurts. And then I read that Anthony Davis didn't want to play a single game as a Celtic. I wanted to see a Kyrie/ AD duo in Boston and now that's going up in smoke. No words.

« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

At this stage that’s what I’d try and do. Make him the centrepiece of a deal for someone

I am not sure why more players don't go the Blake Griffin route and collect their additional $50M. Like, tell the team, I am only re-signing so I can be traded at the deadline to the team of my choice. This way you'll get assets for me and I'll get the additional money.

And if things go extraordinarily well, have a sit down before the deadline to see if the player has changed their mind. Players giving up the extra year and money so they can only sign with a team that has cap space just doesn't make sense to me. In Kyrie's case, though, every team he would want to sign with does have cap space...so that part of the argument doesn't really hold up here.

If AD could have just held out for a few more months, he would be getting the supermax extension; but, at least he is going to the team he plans on signing with.

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2019, 09:14:34 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I kind of hope the C's front office "ghosts" him last minute at the meeting  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2019, 09:20:41 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I kind of hope the C's front office "ghosts" him last minute at the meeting  :laugh:

Irving walks into DA's office. There on the desk is a burrito from Chipotle with a not saying "It's not you, it's us"

« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

But ya can't flake a top 10 player like that. Gotta keep him with any chance ya get!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2019, 09:31:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

But ya can't flake a top 10 player like that. Gotta keep him with any chance ya get!

Your just not yourself when your angry .....Danny should offer him a Snickers Bar

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2019, 09:58:56 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
A mutual parting of the ways.

Unless Ainge can find a way to work out a sign and trade for a free agent that Kyrie likes (like Jimmy Butler or Kevin Durant)

But, who the hell am I kidding?

Closest Ainge will get to a good player is through binoculars.
If your crazy girlfriend is dumping you but says she will be back if you buy her a yacht.... would you sell your parents house to buy her the yacht?

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2019, 09:59:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Unless Ainge can find a way to work out a sign and trade for a free agent that Kyrie likes (like Jimmy Butler or Kevin Durant)

If your crazy girlfriend is dumping you but says she will be back if you buy her a yacht.... would you sell your parents house to buy her the yacht?

Kind of depends how you get along with your parents, am I right?

« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2019, 10:02:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I am not sure why more players don't go the Blake Griffin route and collect their additional $50M. Like, tell the team, I am only re-signing so I can be traded at the deadline to the team of my choice. This way you'll get assets for me and I'll get the additional money.

And if things go extraordinarily well, have a sit down before the deadline to see if the player has changed their mind. Players giving up the extra year and money so they can only sign with a team that has cap space just doesn't make sense to me. In Kyrie's case, though, every team he would want to sign with does have cap space...so that part of the argument doesn't really hold up here.

If AD could have just held out for a few more months, he would be getting the supermax extension; but, at least he is going to the team he plans on signing with.
Doing what you suggest gives all the power to the team, though. You tell them you really don't want to be there but want the money and ask them to send you to specific teams at the deadline. Well, once that contract is signed, the player loses control.

The team now knows you are not committed to the team so why are they going to grant you your wish to trade you to your preferred destination after you signed? If that team can now get a great deal from the worst team in the league in a city the player hates, that player could end up there....for years.

There is no way that happens.

Also, not sure how many here have actually negotiated a contract but you don't go into negotiations with false pretenses, it's actually illegal, I think. You don't go into negotiations with Kyrie trying to convince him to stay, while not disclosing your only reason to do it is solely so you can trade him a couple months later. That's misrepresentation, I think, and if Kyrie could prove that were your intentions thing might go bad.

« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2019, 10:04:56 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Kind of depends how you get along with your parents, am I right?
I think Danny is getting close to having some of his toys taken away from the owners bras. They might have pulled the plug on the Davis trade