Author Topic: Would you trade Tatum for Zion Williamson?  (Read 5687 times)

Re: Would you trade Tatum for Zion Williamson?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 07:44:14 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I would not because I think Zion is slightly over rated.   He is great in college because he is so much stronger than his peers.  Will that be case in the pros?  Nope.  I think he will be solid, but I would just pack it in on him and make him shoot it because that is the weak spot in his game and his shooting elbow is out to far on his shot.
He will still be a lot stronger than his peers in the NBA.  Who in the NBA who can move his feet has even close to Zion's strength?  I'm coming up only with guys like Cousins and Harrell and Cousins can't move.  And why do you think his shooting won't improve?  Every other player gets drafted on upside and potential.  Eighteen year old's aren't drafted as finished products.  Zion isn't going to be Ben Simmons from the outside- just the fact that he's comfortable regularly taking those shots tells us that.

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Davis plays smooth and effortlessly, he appears to expend half the effort to score the ball of somebody like Randle or even Bron.   Tim Ducan had a long career based on the smooth even comtrol of his shot and body , leading to low wear and tear .  Kareem too.   

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Zion is more valuable than Anthony Davis, and by the end of his second year will be a better player.

We never got to see LeBron play college ball, so maybe he would have been able to dominate like this, but we haven't seen anyone this overpowering since Alcindor and Walton. The Barkley analogy just doesn't explain how big the gap is between him and everyone else.

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 09:29:43 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
No way. Zion doesn’t have the perimeter shooting to be a big time player in the nba right away. He won’t be able to dominate inside in the pros like he does in college. His game isn’t well suited to the nba.
I think this is a short-sighted criticism, considering the number of stars in the NBA today who are positional nightmares due to their athleticism, yet can't shoot from 3.

Such as?

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
No way. Zion doesn’t have the perimeter shooting to be a big time player in the nba right away. He won’t be able to dominate inside in the pros like he does in college. His game isn’t well suited to the nba.
I think this is a short-sighted criticism, considering the number of stars in the NBA today who are positional nightmares due to their athleticism, yet can't shoot from 3.

Such as?

How about Giannis, Ben Simmons, and Russell Westbrook. Early career Blake Griffin.

(Russ, incredibly, is at 28.8% from 3 and *still* takes 5.4 a game.)

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Yes..( Id even include Hayward to sweeten it  :D ;D)

but its moot because whoever gets him ain't trading him not even for James travelling man Harden...

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
nooooo
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 11:15:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Such as?

How about Giannis, Ben Simmons, and Russell Westbrook. Early career Blake Griffin.

Then guys like Joel Embiid, pre-injury Derrick Rose, and Anthony Davis, who are/were guys who hover around 30% from 3.

Zion is sitting at around 33% right now, and over his last 10 games is shooting 44% from deep.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 11:34:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would not because I think Zion is slightly over rated.   He is great in college because he is so much stronger than his peers.  Will that be case in the pros?  Nope.  I think he will be solid, but I would just pack it in on him and make him shoot it because that is the weak spot in his game and his shooting elbow is out to far on his shot.

its not just the bully ball

but the soft hands.  Ball handling and passing is really good

shooting can improve but hasn't need to do it at the moment...dominates otherwise

Zion is considered a next level prospect -  same hype Ben Simmons received. But tbh will be better than Simmons.

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I just don't want the crooked Cavs to win #1 again and draft Williamson. Or the hated Lakers

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 11:39:12 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

shooting can improve but hasn't need to do it at the moment...dominates otherwise

Zion is considered a next level prospect -  same hype Ben Simmons received. But tbh will be better than Simmons.

But the point still stands, for a young guy he is so far physically advanced among his college peers, even seniors.  That is not going to be the case in the pros.  It does not mean he will not be an exceptional player, but you have to take that into account scouting him.

For example, if he catches it on the wing and Marcus Smart is guarding him on a switch...what happens?

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Such as?

Then guys like Joel Embiid, pre-injury Derrick Rose, and Anthony Davis, who are/were guys who hover around 30% from 3.

Zion is sitting at around 33% right now, and over his last 10 games is shooting 44% from deep.

These guys too. And even if Zion can’t shoot the 3 now, I wouldn’t say it’s clear he won’t or can’t develop. LeBron shot 29% from 3 his first year in the league. If learning to shoot the 3 would open up his game, don’t rule out the chance he’ll become at least  a decent 3 point shooter.

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 12:03:24 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

But the point still stands, for a young guy he is so far physically advanced among his college peers, even seniors.  That is not going to be the case in the pros.  It does not mean he will not be an exceptional player, but you have to take that into account scouting him.

For example, if he catches it on the wing and Marcus Smart is guarding him on a switch...what happens?

For now, Zion probably won’t have the savvy to deal with Marcus. But as he learns the game, I think he takes Marcus into the post and scores at a high rate. Nassir Little is a physical specimen - clear pro body. Last night he could not handle ZW’s physicality and moves. Zion got him back to the basket, backed him down to about six feet, faked, spun, and elevated into Little’s chest - the result was a nice soft j that found the bottom of the net.

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just for size and strength comparisons, isn't Zion basically the same size with comparable strength to Yabusele?

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Honestly I'd rather have Barrett than Williamson.  I think he is the prospect that has not only the highest ceiling but is also the player with the biggest floor.  I can't see Barrett being any worse than a quality starter for a decade, and think he has the upper limit potential of being the best player in the league. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip