Author Topic: DeAndre Ayton thread  (Read 24803 times)

Re: DeAndre Ayton thread
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2017, 12:39:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I hope Ayton does extremely well, so once we get that 2nd pick, whoever picks first goes after Ayton instead of Bagley lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of Deandre Ayton shadowing Al Horford, one of the smartest players in basketball, for 2 years and then stepping into the starting lineup when Horford's contract is up (and maybe Al would take a discount and a bench role by that time).

I need to stop thinking about it, though, the odds being what they are.

I’d be obsessed with that except that I think Al will still be a better player and more deserving starter than Ayton by the time Horford’s contract is up.  I also think young bigs need a lot of court time to practice being the lead communicator on defense, and so Ayton would not as well-served by a 15 minute apprenticeship every night.

That said, Ayton is the freshman who’s most impressed me so far this year.  I thought he was overhyped because he was tall and athletic, but I’m really impressed at some of his skills that indicate more maturity than your typical young big, specifically a pretty low foul rate and a very low turnover rate given his usage.  Curious to see if that continues through conference play, when he’ll consistently face more difficult competition, as well as seeing teams multiple times who are familiar with Arizona’s offensive and defensive sets.  But the early returns have converted me.
If we are lucky enough for it to be an issue, I'd expect Ayton would get around 15-18 minutes as Al's backup and another 10 minutes or so alongside him.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:28:47 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I hope Ayton does extremely well, so once we get that 2nd pick, whoever picks first goes after Ayton instead of Bagley lol.

Alternatively we could pick 3rd again in order to select the best player in the draft — Luka Doncic.  :)

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Alternatively we could pick 3rd again in order to select the best player in the draft — Luka Doncic.  :)
I like that thinking👍😁

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2017, 04:43:21 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I hear criticisms of Doncic and I wonder if people have even watched him. He has very good lateral quickness and plenty of length. No reason he can't be a good defender.

His game is essentially without flaws. I think he has a higher ceiling than either of the big men, and I'd love for the Celts to get either of them as well.

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I hear criticisms of Doncic and I wonder if people have even watched him. He has very good lateral quickness and plenty of length. No reason he can't be a good defender.

His game is essentially without flaws. I think he has a higher ceiling than either of the big men, and I'd love for the Celts to get either of them as well.
the flaw that doncic haters bring up is he lacks a bit of athleticism. I disagree with those who think that. Even if it were true, his strengths outweigh the weaknesses

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
DeAndre Ayton vs UNLV

28 Points, 10 Rebounds, 1 Assist, 1 Steal, 3 Blocks

https://youtu.be/d3pp6PShLJc

What you miss in the highlights is that Brandon McCoy goes for 33 and 10, 13-17 shooting.   He's same age and size as Ayton, mocked mid first round by Tankathon.  Gotta play some D DA.

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
DeAndre Ayton vs UNLV

What you miss in the highlights is that Brandon McCoy goes for 33 and 10, 13-17 shooting.   He's same age and size as Ayton, mocked mid first round by Tankathon.  Gotta play some D DA.

I havent sat down to watch the game yet so Im not going to comment on the particulars. I will say this, Those two know each other very well. They were teammates on PSA Cardinals. They have practiced against each other often. As a back to the basket player Ayton is still raw and so is his man D there all things that can get better.

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
If you watch the UNLV game, you realize just how great a prospect Ayton is. McCoy is a nice prospect, but Ayton is far more athletic, bigger, quicker, smoother, just all around better than a guy who might also be a lottery pick.

It's probably too much to hope for, but wow if we could get Ayton. I could envision him being a bigger, better version of what Al is for us right now.

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 03:42:21 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
If you watch the UNLV game, you realize just how great a prospect Ayton is. McCoy is a nice prospect, but Ayton is far more athletic, bigger, quicker, smoother, just all around better than a guy who might also be a lottery pick.

It's probably too much to hope for, but wow if we could get Ayton. I could envision him being a bigger, better version of what Al is for us right now.

Im not sure if this was directed at me or not but I have seen play 8 times at least before he got to AZ. I dont see the Al thing at all. Horford has always been a smart player. High IQ. Ayton is a run jump guy who has never been coached til this year. He is more of a less refined Towns than Horford.

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ayton reminds me of Patrick Ewing = size, skill, athleticism, so-so BBIQ

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
DeAndre Ayton vs UNLV

I havent sat down to watch the game yet so Im not going to comment on the particulars. I will say this, Those two know each other very well. They were teammates on PSA Cardinals. They have practiced against each other often. As a back to the basket player Ayton is still raw and so is his man D there all things that can get better.

Where can you watch the game?  I don't see it on YouTube or Google video search.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:33 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Ayton reminds me of Patrick Ewing = size, skill, athleticism, so-so BBIQ

I’ll take that! 

I’ll just add even though maybe not ideal for a Stevens team with a so-so BBIQ that is still a tremendous projection, and at the very least a great trade asset if we wish to go in another direction.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:02:53 PM by JBcat »

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
DeAndre Ayton vs UNLV

Where can you watch the game?  I don't see it on YouTube or Google video search.

I have the game on DVR. Having watched him now 3 times since he has been at AZ (You can watch his game from last night on ESPN) I will probably wait a few weeks to watch it. I dont want to flood my eval with too many early season games. Not much has changed with him so far other than he is not spending as much time at the 3pt line as he has in the past.

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
DeAndre Ayton vs UNLV

I have the game on DVR. Having watched him now 3 times since he has been at AZ (You can watch his game from last night on ESPN) I will probably wait a few weeks to watch it. I dont want to flood my eval with too many early season games. Not much has changed with him so far other than he is not spending as much time at the 3pt line as he has in the past.

Thanks, A&M vs Arizona, Robert Williams vs Ayton- should be good.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07