Author Topic: 2020 Mock Off-season Rules, Teams, and Discussion Thread  (Read 41813 times)

2020 Mock Off-season Rules, Teams, and Discussion Thread
« on: May 29, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Hey guys. I haven't forgotten about this. I'm excited for it, but I'd like to make it as low maintenance as possible. Let's use our head and not take advantage of the few rules so that it is a relatively easy-going time. This is more of an activity than a competition, even though we will vote as a forum at the end for who did the best.

As I stated before, we will do three parts to the activity. To keep it as simple as possible we won't bleed any parts into the others. For example, we won't do trading during the draft. You can arrange trades (and mock announce them) during the draft, but then complete them during the trading part of the game. I'll explain more in a minute.

I'd like everyone to take two-three teams if possible to make it as low maintenance for me as possible. If you don't want to go all-in on remaking three teams, that is fine. Just take one that you will focus on and the other two just put as little effort as necessary. Contact me if you want to trade between your teams and I will approve any trades. If you can't take three teams, I understand. I'll take whatever is left and do my best.

Stage One - Mock Draft
Over one week period of time, we will do all 60 picks in the 2020 draft. If you don't know all the players, that's fine. Just look up a trust draft guru and draft the next best player available.

I'm not going to set a time limit on each pick. I expect you guys to stay engaged and make your pick in a timely way. We need to average about 10 picks a day. That means you need to know when your three teams' next picks are and check at an appropriate time to keep the game moving. If I see it get stuck, I'll make the next pick for you. I won't be able to be so involved that you can message me your big board to pick your next best player. If you want to pick, be ready to pick. If not, I'll pick a player for you.

I'm gonna roll some dice to add variety to automated picks. That means there is a chance that if I make a pick for a team, that pick is a really bad pick (or really lucky pick).

Stage two - free agency
This is perhaps the most difficult of the three stages, as I will function as the player agent for the top free agents. Let's focus on actual rotation players for this and leave off the bench players.

Make your pitch for a player with an offer sheet by messaging me from your team. I'll use a combination of common sense and dice rolling to determine if the player is interested. I may accept, reject outright, or negotiate.

My suggestion is that you would send me a single message from each team with a list of players you want containing a short 1-2 sentence pitch and contract offer. By my math, that means I'll get 30 messages to sift through. That's better than hundreds to keep track of. Please message them all together, or it's likely I will lose track of your offer.

I wil assume you have an accurate knowledge of what you can offer your players. I won't be able to check every time, but I'll try. Please keep track of your salary caps yourselves.

I will create a second Mock Off-season Contract Announcement thread to announce when players accept offers.

The sooner you get these in, the better for you. If a player likes an offer earlier, they may accept it even if you haven't sent your offer yet. I'll give this stage a full week as well though.

Stage three - trading
You are allowed to begin discussions at any time for trades, but please do not announce any trades until this stage as a way to maintain simplicity. I'll make a Mock Off-season Rumor thread that you can make fake rumors to begin private discussions for trades.

Use ESPN Trade Machine, Real GM, or your own math to prove that the trade works legally.

This stage will be open for a week.

As part of this, you may choose either to trade the draft rights of a player as if they don't count as salary, or trade them for what would be their rookie scale (please use the standard of http://www.shamsports.com/capulator to determine their rookie scale contract). Please make clear how you are doing that. This "phase" counts as both the trading that would take place during the draft and the trades during the rest of the off-season. That is why I'm giving this flexibility.

You cannot trade a player you just received if you are over the salary cap. If the player has a player option and is entering the final year, they must agree to the trade (very unlikely). Contact me if you'd like to negotiate that with the player. Same with no-trade clauses. It will also be very difficult, as in real life, to negotiate a sign-and-trade. Let's avoid them, but if you really want to try, contact me and I will function as the player's agent that you are trying to sign and trade.

Again, just use good sense and take it easy on the rules. Don't push the rules, but don't be took stringent to them either if you know we are toeing the line. Let this be a fun exercise, not a grueling sludge of paperwork.

That's my explanation. Here is the list of rules:
1. Use your head. Don't take advantage of the minimal rules. Enjoy the game and make it enjoyable for everyone.
2. Pick three teams. Pick one favorite and then once everyone has picked, pick your second and third. If you can't, I understand.
3. Make your draft picks in a timely way. Check the forum consistently to keep the draft moving and be considerate of the other players. I know some of you can't check the forum that consistently. Do your best.
4. Send me a PM for each team you are GMing with a list of the players that team wants, your pitches, and contract offers. Keep them short. Do it early or you may lose out.
5. Keep track of your own salary cap using http://www.shamsports.com/capulator
6. Prove your trades work using an online tool or your own math. Avoid complex/unlikely trades like sign-and-trades and no-trade clauses if you can.
7. Only announce trades during the trade phase.
8. Keep discussion in this thread. Keep actual activity in the other threads.
9. Put your teams in your signature if you can. Only include your top 10 players and abbreviate to have enough room.
10. Rules will not be the arbiter of this game, because I don't want the rules to be arduous. As such, anything not mentioned here, I will make a decision on as the Commish. Anyone who wants to share the commish status with me, let me know.

I will begin tracking on this thread who has what teams.

Hawks - frankatank
Celtics - Jvalin
Nets - Hawkeye199
Hornets - CFAN38
Bulls - Hawkeye199
Cavs
Mavs - CFAN38
Nuggets - gouki88
Pistons - Smartacus
Warriors - Somebody
Rockets - Somebody
Pacers -  saltlover
Clippers
Lakers
Grizzles
Heat - RodyTur10
Bucks - Jvalin
Wolves - Smartacus
Pelicans - frankatank
Knicks - footey
Thunder - albassa
Magic - DefenseWinsChamps
Sixers
Suns
Blazers - gouki88
Kings - RodyTur10
Spurs
Raptors - saltlover
Jazz - gouki88
Wizards - CFAN38
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:19:23 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

Re: 2020 Mock Off-season Rules, Teams, and Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 09:05:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So we just elect what team we want?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 09:30:44 PM »

• Paul Silas
So we just elect what team we want?

Yes. Pick your first team in this thread. If you can after most have had a their chance, pick another team or two that you can control/automate.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 09:53:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’ll take Portland then!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »

• Paul Silas
Bump. Pick your teams. Hoping to start the first phase in the next few days.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 12:06:08 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'd love to take the Celtics! 8)

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Sacramento Kings please.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Oklahoma City thunder
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 07:50:10 PM »

• Paul Silas
I'll take the Magic as my main team.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 05:59:45 PM »

• Paul Silas
Bump. Pick your teams if you signed up.

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 02:42:54 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'll pick the Warriors.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 02:52:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As a veteran of a fantasy type game that started on this site that tried to do something similar, that is incorporating drafting of college players, free agency with a very complicated system in determining where players went, trades and ultimately games, I wish you luck because, IMHO, the free agency end of the game was/is massively problematic and has the very great potential to devolve into drama.

Also, I might suggest getting mod approval since it is a part of the site rules for having such a game. Just some friendly advice. Best of luck.

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'll take the Knicks.

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 03:37:47 PM »

• Paul Silas
As a veteran of a fantasy type game that started on this site that tried to do something similar, that is incorporating drafting of college players, free agency with a very complicated system in determining where players went, trades and ultimately games, I wish you luck because, IMHO, the free agency end of the game was/is massively problematic and has the very great potential to devolve into drama.

Also, I might suggest getting mod approval since it is a part of the site rules for having such a game. Just some friendly advice. Best of luck.

Good thoughts. We've had this out there for weeks now. I assume mods are good with it because no one has deleted it.

Hopefully we will all be mature. This year's free agent class is meh anyway.

You want to jump in? We need more GMs

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 04:03:02 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Can I have Miami as my second team?