Author Topic: Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread  (Read 73517 times)

Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread
« on: August 09, 2008, 08:47:58 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I just wanted to start an Olympics thread so we can write some thoughts about the games for the next few weeks.  If someone wants to make a better, more official one, please be free.  Maybe add some pictures or something.  Make look cool and all.  Anyway, here are some thoughts on the games thus far:

--The Opening Ceremony was absolutely amazing.  I only caught the second half, but all the firework, watching the little countries, the little kid with Yao Ming, the lighting of the torch, the global harmony, everything was amazing.  I liked the music from last Olympics (Tiesto spinning) better, but the presentation was unique and beautiful.
--The TV/online coverage is pretty great.  This has to be the best coverage I have seen so far.  I remember one year that the only team really showing was the official NBC channel.  Now we got a bunch of channels and the online feature that comes in great quality.
--Talking about coverage, something pretty random going on right now.  On the MSNBC channel, you got the Brazil vs North Korea game, while Telemundo has the USA vs Japan game.  Just funny how it worked out.
--Finally, I am watching the women's basketball game and even though I haven't seen that much WNBA game, I have to say that this international basketball I find to be more entertaining than the WNBA.  Czech was playing well, and both teams (especially USA) plays really well, making some nice moves.  The quality of the game is really well.
Baby Jesus!

Re: Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 09:42:02 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i'm chinese myself and i'm very proud of the opening ceremony- finally a sense of pride in chinese tradition can be felt.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
WOOOOOOOOOO! Go Mariel, Sada and Becca! US FENCING!!!!!!!!!!!

- Sorry, gotta love my sport though man!

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
I was actually watching some fencing last night.  It was actually pretty good to watch.  The Jacobson girl going against the cutie ukranian chick.  They were intense.  Now I am watching USA vs Japan.  Japan is wearing pink uniforms, like the powderpuff girls.  They're playing well though.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Opening ceremony was far out....very impressive.

Too bad some crazy chinese dude had to go kill someone the next day.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 10:23:28 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
Forget Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps has to be the most dominant athlete.  The guy broke the world record during his first trial.  I was also watching some fencing earlier and I gotta say, I actually liked watching it.  It was exciting and those girls are def a lot more of athletes than I thought.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 10:54:11 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Fencing gets a bad rap because people just assume it's a bunch of old french guys with terrible mustaches, sipping wine in their off hand and yelling "Touche" every now and again. If you want to see the really good stuff watch both the Mens Sabre individual Monday night and the Mens Sabre team later in the week.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 12:33:46 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
If anybody here has any fencing related questions, I'd be glad to help. I've actually become kind of adept at explaining fencing in Basketball related terms.

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
I am a Exercise Science major, meaning I study the muscles, so as I watch these games, I try to project body movements and what kind of muscles are used in the sport that I am watching.  I have to admit, due to ignorance of the sport, I never really considered fencing as a "real" sport.  I thought it was more skill than sport.  However, watching the matches (is that right?) I have to say it does take a great deal of physical activity to perform the sport.  It's a sport that involves a lot of quick reaction, meaning the athlete must be able to perform quick forward and back movements using the least amount of time possible.  Anyway... that was me babbling, but I really enjoyed watching fencing and I hope I'll have a chance to see some more during these games.

PS. Why aren't there more people posting?  I thought this was gonna be a more talked about topic.  I mean, it's the freaking Olympics!  This thing only comes once every 4 years!  Let's get excited people!
PPS. They're saying that the USA vs China game is suposed to have a minimum of 1 billion people watching.  That's insane!
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 01:14:13 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
The only thing you got wrong there is that a fencing "match" is called a "bout". Other than that your analysis is spot on.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
PS. Why aren't there more people posting?  I thought this was gonna be a more talked about topic.  I mean, it's the freaking Olympics!  This thing only comes once every 4 years!  Let's get excited people!

Well the games have just started and the first day was most about judo,boxing,sailing and some swimming qualifiers. And nobody cares about the football tournament

Today is another story. Bball starts (Spain once again was to much for Greece to handle) and water polo with a great game Hungary-Montenegro.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 04:28:49 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
For anyone else who saw it or is watching it... What the hell is this thing with the horse walking around in a figure eight or whatever and why is it in the Olympics? It's a freaking joke what people consider sports these days...

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 05:04:22 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
For anyone else who saw it or is watching it... What the hell is this thing with the horse walking around in a figure eight or whatever and why is it in the Olympics? It's a freaking joke what people consider sports these days...

Yea I have, the Equestrian stuff. It's held in HK and I can't help but laugh that people all over HK are ecstatic about hosting these events and going to watch. They probably have no idea what is going on. lol
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 06:26:50 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
1 down 7 to go.

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 06:30:46 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Is anyone watching Argentina Lithuania? 
Great game! Lithuania had 10 points lead 4mins to go but in 2 mins argentina turned this over to two down and has the possession.