Author Topic: Favorite Pro Wrestler of all-time  (Read 53389 times)

Re: Favorite Pro Wrestler of all-time
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 12:53:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Kane works, just not Kane the dentist.

I feel like after his whole feud with the Undertaker he was always the guy you had to fight before you got a title shot.  I feel like it was every week that McMahon would come out and tell someone that if they wanted to fight for the title they had to first beat . . . . .KANE!  And they always did.

I can't say enough about the Macho Man, but what about Leeping Lanny Poffo.  I loved when he would read the poem and throw the Frisbees into the crowd.

it is the same guy, new gimmick. 

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I did get to meet and talk with this behemoth of a dude named Glen. I was having lunch with my boss and his cousin and this guy walks in and sits down, he had to talk to my boss's cousin. So he ends up having lunch with us. Big, nice gentle guy, college graduate trying to break into big time wrestling and was working on this new dentist routine. I laughed, he looked at me. I told him that there wouldn't be a single person out there that would believe he was a dentist. I told him he was a monster of a man it would never work. Both guys smiled at me and said to let the pros handle it.

Glen was a real nice guy. Turns out I was right about the monster part. He now goes by the name Kane.

cool story!  I've had the opportunity to meet a few guys, Crash Holly, The Rock, Bob Backlund, some locals too and one of my buddies was on tough enough so I got a little bit of an insider look from his stories

if anyone is looking to read good wrestling books, I think Pure Dynamite is one of the best out there - its the autobiography of the Dynamite Kid and just shows how wrestling has affected his life - the WWE produced books are generally good too - Mick Foley's first one was great, but I feel there's a bit of censorship in them...
What I thought was so cool about that whole experience was that I met them in their behind the scenes workplace that no one ever gets to see. They were real people doing real jobs. You meet people at the arena or on autograph signings and they are completely different.

I took my son to an autograph signing once at the Warwick Mall in RI and sure enough Kane is there. He remembered me but couldn't go out of character. For everyone else autogragh he just signed "Kane". When he signed my son's poster he signed "I make a better monster, Kane". He couldn't say anything though because at the time, Kane didn't speak, but I thank him and said hi just the same.

My brother in law worked security at the FleetCenter/TD Banknorth for years. He always said the Bruins were the nicest famous people he met. He said lots and lots of the wrestlers were real dicks. But Stone Cold always remembered his name and always treated with good and was without a doubt one of the funniest guys he ever met.

He tells this story of Austin leaving one day but his car was boxed in. So when my brother-in-law got the keys to move the car behind his Austin took the keys and said "I like that car better. Tell so and so(whoever was using the car I can't remember the other wrestler at the moment) Stone Cold has his car and tell them to not to dent or scratch it. It's a rental and Vince is paying for it and I have to break open a can if there's anything wrong with the car."

As he passed the boxed in rental he kicked a dent in the side of the door and keyed it. My brother-in-law nearly soiled himself he was laughing so hard. Or so he tells.

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
I know they are the same, I'm just saying the dentist gimmick never worked for me.  I actually read that he was Jerry The King's private dentist during that time and The King would have Issac fight Bret Hart off and on.  I wasn't into wrestling around this time, but is that true?

I only got back into it when Wreslemania 14 came to Boston.  Great match between Undertaker and Kane.    My favorite of the night was the dumpster match with the New Age Outlaws vs Cactus Jack and Terry Funk.
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Kane works, just not Kane the dentist.
I feel like after his whole feud with the Undertaker he was always the guy you had to fight before you got a title shot.  I feel like it was every week that McMahon would come out and tell someone that if they wanted to fight for the title they had to first beat . . . . .KANE!  And they always did.

I can't say enough about the Macho Man, but what about Leeping Lanny Poffo.  I loved when he would read the poem and throw the Frisbees into the crowd.

or Kane as the fake Diesel. :P

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2008, 01:11:22 PM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
or Kane as the fake Diesel. Tongue

That's priceless.  He was awful as the fake Diesel.  Reminds me of Stone Cold as the Ringmaster or X-Pac as the 1-2-3 Kid.
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2008, 01:12:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
iowa liked the heart punch.

Stan "The Man" Staziak delivering the dreaded heart punch. I always though that move was lame.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the original super bad guy manager, The Grand Wizard of Wreslting". The guy would have been the greatest used car dealer in the history of the world if he didn't enter wrestling.

Other oldie favs.

Tony Garea, the man with more tag team partners than wrestling tights.
Professor Turu Tanaka who along with Mr. Fuji were easily the greatest tag team ever.
Tony Atlas, the man with the single biggest pectoral muscles in wrestling history. He should have been the first black world champion ever. He deserved it.
Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat who's series of matches in the NWA against Ric Flair were the best matches I have ever seen by far, it's not close.
Bruiser Brody, the man was about as strong as any human ever to wrestle and I loved his barking through the whole match. To bad he was murdered in PR, he still had sucha future in front of him as wrestling grew.
Stan "The Lariat" Hansen, some claim he may have been the meanest guy to ever be in the sport.
Big Van Vader, his backwards sommersault splash off the top rope for a guy nearing 400 lbs was a site to behold.

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
I haven't watched wrestling since 01 bu my faves were Undertaker, Yokozuna and Razor Ramon. Remember how funny Edge and Christian were when they used to goof around all the time?

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
George the Animal Steele and Andre the Giant...caught the end of both

I Roddy Piper and Ultimate warrior too...its so hard to choose between nostalgia.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2008, 01:36:40 PM »

Offline Jr_Bremer1988

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Ricky the Dragon Steamboat. The Blue Blazer. Shawn Michaels. The Ultimate Warrior. And of course, the Hulkster!

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2008, 01:40:03 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
nice choices, I gotta go with Shawn Michaels in his prime, highly underated IMO, and Rick Flair as the two overall al-time true greats. Then Mick Foley and the Ultimate Warrior for all-time great entertainers. I just never got what the hype over Hogan was, he was boring.

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Brittish Bulldoggs, anyone?

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2008, 01:50:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Brittish Bulldoggs, anyone?

The british bulldog was always too wet...like it had just rained only on him. Razor Ramone was greasy but the bulldog was wet..must be all that london rain.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

I liked Superfly as well.

I also enjoyed:

Jake "The Snake" Roberts
"The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiassi
Rick Flair (whooooooo!)

Call me cheesy but my favourite of all-time was The Ultimate Warrior.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2008, 02:21:12 PM »

Offline celt4ever

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 2
la momia 
el invader
carlitos colon :o

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 02:27:42 PM »

Offline houlana