Author Topic: Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn  (Read 14028 times)

Re: Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Maybe I am mistaken here, but why do I recall that a few years back Bob Ryan referred to Rondo as a punk, or something like that. Anyone else remember that? And thanks to the OP for keeping the Rondo hate alive. By the way, Ryan has been trying to get Rondo out of town for a long time.

Didn't call him a punk, but this article appeared in 2009: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/06/25/the_curious_case_of_rajon_rondo/

And a more recent article where Ryan shows his love for Rajon: http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/post/Ryan-Rondos-inscrutability-drives-Celtic?blockID=661774

And, one more Ryan love letter to Rondo: http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/post/Ryan-Rondo-makes-the-Celtics-nervous?blockID=606668

Anyone else sense a pattern?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:51:15 PM by vinnie »

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Bob Ryan has been a negative nancy for the past 10 years.

I disagree strongly.
But I see a very awful thing in this forum. Everybody who is being critic about Rondo is going to be attacked in person, without making debate facing facts and arguments.

The opposite is the general case.

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I am not saying Rondo CAN'T change.  I am not saying Rondo Won'T change.  Because frankly, I really have no idea.

But here is the important question.  If Rondo DID change, then what kind of value would he bring to the team.  Off thd ball, he isn't really very much help at all to the team.  Guys will double off of him and his presence will probably hurt the offense more than it helps.

So basically, we either committ to Rondo and let him be Rondo or we don't.

Jackie Mac said on comcast last night that the example Danny gave her about how rondo's game can change is.....

Whenever a wing player , or someone who can handle the ball(Lee,Terry,Green)would get a rebound or a steal , they would immediately look for Rondo and wait to give it to him . Now with Rondo out those guys are just grabbing the ball and starting the break themselves .

According to Jackie, Danny wants that sort of thing to continue when Rondo gets back. He wants Rondo to be busting it down the court even without the ball in his hand to put more pressure on defenses , and allowing himself to get to better spots on the floor to make plays when the ball gets to him.

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Maybe I am mistaken here, but why do I recall that a few years back Bob Ryan referred to Rondo as a punk, or something like that. Anyone else remember that? And thanks to the OP for keeping the Rondo hate alive.

He must flip flop a lot then and be a prisoner of the moment then because after great playoff performances rondo has had he's referred to rondo as the most exciting player for him to watch...who knows but I didn't realize there were bob Ryan Homers that believe his unfounded personal opinions are fact

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Bob Ryan's opinion is not FACT.
It's his own speculation.
I for one am not a fan of him.
So I'm not gonna take whatever he says seriously.

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I am not saying Rondo CAN'T change.  I am not saying Rondo Won'T change.  Because frankly, I really have no idea.

But here is the important question.  If Rondo DID change, then what kind of value would he bring to the team.  Off thd ball, he isn't really very much help at all to the team.  Guys will double off of him and his presence will probably hurt the offense more than it helps.

First of all Rondo wouldn't really be off the ball that much, he'd be one of the primary ball handlers in this offense. Secondly it's not really the case that defenders stay close to the other guards when they don't have the ball. That's why you get open shots with this offense.

Also, if Rondo gets left completely open we'll be in great shape when he gets the ball and he's wide open, he can shoot or pass or drive. All nonsense aside, there's no way any team would consider players like Lee or Bradley to be bigger offensive threats than Rondo.

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 05:17:14 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Personally Id rather trade him for a good center if possible.

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Maybe I am mistaken here, but why do I recall that a few years back Bob Ryan referred to Rondo as a punk, or something like that. Anyone else remember that? And thanks to the OP for keeping the Rondo hate alive. By the way, Ryan has been trying to get Rondo out of town for a long time.

Didn't call him a punk, but this article appeared in 2009: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/06/25/the_curious_case_of_rajon_rondo/

And a more recent article where Ryan shows his love for Rajon: http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/post/Ryan-Rondos-inscrutability-drives-Celtic?blockID=661774

And, one more Ryan love letter to Rondo: http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/post/Ryan-Rondo-makes-the-Celtics-nervous?blockID=606668

Anyone else sense a pattern?

TP.

Bob Ryan is a respected journalist, but whenever he writes about the Celtics, he's more an oracle than a reporter. I guess he's earned respect and deserves it, but that doesn't mean he's right, just means his personal preferences, which Vinnie has brought in his post.

I think Rondo is a smart guy (just my opinion), and hope he can understand what the team needs from him. Looking forward to see him on the bench when his recovery allows him to do so. Every basketball team needs a coach on the court, and he's got all the tools. He could be, if he wants to, this era's Cousy. He's that good.

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Rondo doesn't need to change much - the team was blazing hot with him playing his game in the 2nd half of last season. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Ryan is or at least was a great writer. But when he speaks he falls into talking-radio-head-stir-the-pot mode. He wants to get a rise, some attention.

He also said in the summer of 2007 that the Celtics had no business thinking championship after they acquired Allen and KG. Again I think he was just enjoying going against the grain.

I trust Jackie M much more. Rondo is a smart guy. Who knows what kind of changes he might make when he comes back.

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
And who cares who Ryan is or what he says? Not many people in the hoopverse.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

For a couple decades, he was 1 of the premier NBA writers. He still carries some weight.

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

For a couple decades, he was 1 of the premier NBA writers. He still carries some weight.

My bad then, never heard of him. I'm young :x
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Ryan is or at least was a great writer. But when he speaks he falls into talking-radio-head-stir-the-pot mode. He wants to get a rise, some attention.

He also said in the summer of 2007 that the Celtics had no business thinking championship after they acquired Allen and KG. Again I think he was just enjoying going against the grain.

I trust Jackie M much more. Rondo is a smart guy. Who knows what kind of changes he might make when he comes back.
Jackie is the Woj of Boston she's awesome
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Rondo doesn't need to change much - the team was blazing hot with him playing his game in the 2nd half of last season.

They were even better in 2011 before he was slowed by injuries.