Author Topic: So, erm, what's the deal with advertising in some posters signature?  (Read 8185 times)

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Is it possible to turn off? I really don't want to have to block those posters. (they is good posters...)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: So, erm, what's the deal with advertising in some posters signature?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 08:29:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Is it poster specific? I thought it was just a function of the site that some random posts would have advertising in them?

I know that I've seen ads in my signature, but I had nothing to do with it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:00:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Unless, it is a very specific poster, I was under the same impression that gouki was. I remember byennie said that for the banner at the top to remain only at the top (instead of scrolling with the page), there would have to be other spots for advertisements in and around the screen. After seeing a few ads in the middle of threads, I assumed that is what he meant (and I am totally fine with it - the scrolling ad was rough).

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Unless, it is a very specific poster, I was under the same impression that gouki was. I remember byennie said that for the banner at the top to remain only at the top (instead of scrolling with the page), there would have to be other spots for advertisements in and around the screen. After seeing a few ads in the middle of threads, I assumed that is what he meant (and I am totally fine with it - the scrolling ad was rough).
Yeah he's definitely just talking about ads appearing in signatures as part of the website's monetization.  Example:

When I went to a thread, in Greenwarrior's signature there was some ad appearing for a software company near where I live... it's a specific targeted ad to me based on my cookies.  I have done freelance video work for that company.

Normally, I'd say just enable an ad blocker like a normal person, but given byennie probably has to operate this website at a bit of an expense, maybe just leave em on?  Lol  I don't know... your call.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:04:33 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I use ad blockers on my laptop

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 07:34:03 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Yeah he's definitely just talking about ads appearing in signatures as part of the website's monetization.  Example:

When I went to a thread, in Greenwarrior's signature there was some ad appearing for a software company near where I live... it's a specific targeted ad to me based on my cookies.  I have done freelance video work for that company.

Normally, I'd say just enable an ad blocker like a normal person, but given byennie probably has to operate this website at a bit of an expense, maybe just leave em on?  Lol  I don't know... your call.

Ah, no if the advertising revenue goes to the site that's fine (just not if it goes to the rest of you Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s).
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.