Author Topic: COD: Black ops  (Read 5539 times)

COD: Black ops
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:03:53 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Finishing up my paper tonight and tomorrow before i go pick this up. Early reviews are promising, particularity buoyed by the reviews that say it's more like a sequel to MW1 than MW2.

Sounds like they amped up the customization options and rolled back some of the things the community hated from MW2 that were a step backwards (no deathstreaks, kill streaks depowered to make it more about you know, shooting and removal of danger close/stopping power/one man army)

Pretty pumped. This commercial rocks to, and i am not surprised the gentleman who shall remain nameless @ 30 seconds in is a dirty noobtuber.

A warning on the commercial, since it's been getting flack for this in the press. may not be your thing if you take it's replacing of soldiers with the people behind the online persona to be taking it a bit too far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pblj3JHF-Jo

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: COD: Black ops
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 12:04:45 AM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
Yeah, I mean it should have a Celtic in there instead of Kobe.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:08:51 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Yeah, I mean it should have a Celtic in there instead of Kobe.

Ray as a sniper hehe.

I love Jimmy Kimmel's tag though, "proud nOOb"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:16:03 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:29:11 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
Anyone know if Treyarch is finally adding LAN play? (Not sure if WaW had it, only played it twice at a friend's house) If/when I buy this it'll be because they added LAN. I was eerily good at CoD 4, like 4.5 K/D with 30,000 plus kills on my competitive account (Ie, the one I don't let my brother, friends and nephews use) but I really lost interest after the disappointment known as Modern Warfare 2.

From the couple videos I've seen, I haven't liked some of the killstreak rewards, the removal of drop shotting (I mean come on, I know a lot of people hated it but don't remove the skill gap that it brought to the table,) and a couple of other things.

Have liked the addition of theatre mode, Bungie once again set the bar for console shooters by adding that. I expect it to be a staple in games for years to come. Customization is cool, but not really anything I'd invest in. The idea of buying your weapons is kind of "meh" to me, as well.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:45:53 AM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm waiting for midnight over here on the west coast to go pick it up. Can not wait to play this game. Its funny someone mentioned that Ray should be a sniper, I named all my MW2 classes after celtics players. Rondo is marathon lightweight, ray is a sniper, etc.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:15:54 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Anyone know if Treyarch is finally adding LAN play? (Not sure if WaW had it, only played it twice at a friend's house) If/when I buy this it'll be because they added LAN. I was eerily good at CoD 4, like 4.5 K/D with 30,000 plus kills on my competitive account (Ie, the one I don't let my brother, friends and nephews use) but I really lost interest after the disappointment known as Modern Warfare 2.

From the couple videos I've seen, I haven't liked some of the killstreak rewards, the removal of drop shotting (I mean come on, I know a lot of people hated it but don't remove the skill gap that it brought to the table,) and a couple of other things.

Have liked the addition of theatre mode, Bungie once again set the bar for console shooters by adding that. I expect it to be a staple in games for years to come. Customization is cool, but not really anything I'd invest in. The idea of buying your weapons is kind of "meh" to me, as well.

Dunno about the lan, i know they added a mode similar to golden eye where you can play against bots to learn the maps and not get griefed by experienced players as a new person.

The buying things is interesting to me, because if it works as they seem to imply, all it does is remove the restrictive "gun is unlocked at level x" which sucks (the AK is ALWAYS at the last level...grrr) and replace it with freedom of choice.

For instance i am an awful sniper, so i would rather spend my time unlocking smg's and assault rifles that better fit my play style.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:18:52 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I'm waiting for midnight over here on the west coast to go pick it up. Can not wait to play this game. Its funny someone mentioned that Ray should be a sniper, I named all my MW2 classes after celtics players. Rondo is marathon lightweight, ray is a sniper, etc.

haha i did this too,

Paul was the AK (overpowering, sweet mid range game)
Ray was the TAR-21 (because i was a crappy snipe, and that gun is the assualt rifle version of a sniper)
KG was a RPD because it was loud and powerful

The best thing i've heard in any early review is that the game does not feel like a MW2 sequal. The review i read labeled it as "more like a sequal to MW1, only set in the cold war"

that would be sweet. MW2 went over the top frantic, and it became a cluster. MW1, mechanically, was the much more enjoyable game.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
The respawn points on this game are AWFUL. Holy crap. Overall it's a good game, but this issue definitely takes away from the experience. I went from like 18-3 to 18-10 all because I was spawn camped. Why can't I be respawned somewhere the enemies aren't? Ugh
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 06:08:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
The respawn points on this game are AWFUL. Holy crap. Overall it's a good game, but this issue definitely takes away from the experience. I went from like 18-3 to 18-10 all because I was spawn camped. Why can't I be respawned somewhere the enemies aren't? Ugh

Haven't really notied this being any worse than mw2.
Only issue I've had so far is that a majority of the maps ate HUGE not that it's a bad thing but man, sometimes it seems like you can't find anyone to throw down with

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
The great thing I've noticed so far is that I haven't seen much camping at all. I'm sure this will change once Christmas comes around and the fact that no one really knows any good spots, but I'm loving it right now.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I bought it yesterday but have yet to find the time to start it.

I personally only really play the campaign and the missions, don't really play online.

I'm sure the storyline is too short like MW2 was. MW1 and WaW were longer.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I bought it yesterday but have yet to find the time to start it.

I personally only really play the campaign and the missions, don't really play online.

I'm sure the storyline is too short like MW2 was. MW1 and WaW were longer.

I think you'll be disappointed, the campaign is kinda secondary to them at this point.

The multiplayer maps are nice though. Love the offline multiplayer game, fun to learn.

Only problem is the bots are just to stupid to be challenging on regular, but on the next level up they cheat hehe

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I was playing this the other day at a friends house and some idiot made our team lose by going 0 and 18.  I look at his name and sure enough, it's KBLakersDynasty.  His clan tag?  KOBE.

All in all good game though.  I like that it feels more like COD 4, which IMO was more fun than World at War or MW2.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I got accused of cheating today after going 40-8 on TDM.

It made me feel good.

Thankyou to my Galil with dual mags.

Hardline, sleight of hand, and hacker. Oh and big ups to the blackbird I love you baby!  ::)