Author Topic: Mannix on OMF radio show.  (Read 7931 times)

Re: Mannix on OMF radio show.
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Interesting. 

Most of that stuff isn't surprising, and has been speculated about, but I didn't know the Kyrie / Brown relationship was that bitter.  Tense, yes, but actual hate / intense dislike?  But, I guess it makes sense.  Jaylen is an actually intelligent guy.  He likes to think about real issues, and he's pretty thoughtful.  Kyrie is like Stephon Marbury after he's eaten some paste.  Just complete random nonsense, disguised as intellectualism.  With Kyrie, I suspect that you either laugh at his idiocy and don't take it at all seriously, or you hate the guy.  When the idiot in the locker room is calling you out in the media and saying you're not pulling your weight, I guess that's going to make things harder to take.  Not everybody suffers fools gladly, and that sounds like what we have here.

Honestly it makes me like Jaylen more.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 06:12:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Also, forgot this, he says if Kyrie didn't like Stevens and the Boston youth, he is not going to enjoy being in Brooklyn as they are tremendously young and their coach is about as close to a Stevens clone as you are going to get. He said Atchinson and Marks did things extremely similar to Stevens and Ainge.

Kyrie is not going to be happy no matter where he goes.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Kyrie's problem with happiness is internal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 06:15:57 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well if all of what was said on that show is true, maybe it is just better for KI to move on anyways.

DA isn't getting rid of Stevens no matter what, and highly unlikely he is trading away one of our top players who is on a great rookie contract right now.  It just sucks that the C's couldn't get something back in return for Kyrie leaving.

With all the other reports linking KI to the Nets, his new agent, and him supposedly moving out of his house....well it looks like a done deal.

If Kyrie came into Ainge's office and said, "If you trade away JB and don't re-sign Terry, I will stay," you would have to do it, right? I get that this is extremely unlikely - this is more of a 'take care and good luck' meeting - but it would be pretty easy to clean up the mess if all Kyrie wants is to replace a couple of the young guys with veterans.

I like Brown as a person WAYYYYY better than Kyrie and still believe in his potential, but Ainge needs to be all-in on keeping Kyrie if there is even still a smidgen of hope.

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 06:17:55 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Interesting. 

Most of that stuff isn't surprising, and has been speculated about, but I didn't know the Kyrie / Brown relationship was that bitter.  Tense, yes, but actual hate / intense dislike?  But, I guess it makes sense.  Jaylen is an actually intelligent guy.  He likes to think about real issues, and he's pretty thoughtful.  Kyrie is like Stephon Marbury after he's eaten some paste.  Just complete random nonsense, disguised as intellectualism.  With Kyrie, I suspect that you either laugh at his idiocy and don't take it at all seriously, or you hate the guy.  When the idiot in the locker room is calling you out in the media and saying you're not pulling your weight, I guess that's going to make things harder to take.  Not everybody suffers fools gladly, and that sounds like what we have here.

Love it!!!

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
My guess is Brown challenged Kyrie on and off the floor. Called BS on a lot of what Kyrie said about the team as well as real world issues.

Kyrie got mad and took his ball and went home.

What I find most interesting is that Marcus Smart publicly backed Kyrie at the time Kyrie and Brown were having a public spat.  Tells me all I need to know about who was right (Kyrie) and who was being a baby (Brown).

Or, you could just be a Kyrie / Duke fan?

Kyrie also clashed with Stevens, he forced his way out of Cleveland first by not talking to teammates in the playoffs and then threatening to get surgery during the season, he's clashed with teammates at both stops in his career, and overall he's a flake.

I like his on the court game, but I don't automatically jump to his defense when there's a personality conflict.  Kyrie is a space cadet, mixed with a terrible leader.

But Jaylen isn't exactly a beacon of sainthood either. He's clashed with teammates during games (Smart and Morris).
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 06:20:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Well if all of what was said on that show is true, maybe it is just better for KI to move on anyways.

DA isn't getting rid of Stevens no matter what, and highly unlikely he is trading away one of our top players who is on a great rookie contract right now.  It just sucks that the C's couldn't get something back in return for Kyrie leaving.

With all the other reports linking KI to the Nets, his new agent, and him supposedly moving out of his house....well it looks like a done deal.

If Kyrie came into Ainge's office and said, "If you trade away JB and don't re-sign Terry, I will stay," you would have to do it, right? I get that this is extremely unlikely - this is more of a 'take care and good luck' meeting - but it would be pretty easy to clean up the mess if all Kyrie wants is to replace a couple of the young guys with veterans.

I like Brown as a person WAYYYYY better than Kyrie and still believe in his potential, but Ainge needs to be all-in on keeping Kyrie if there is even still a smidgen of hope.

Going down the “appease Lebron Kyrie” rabbit hole would be dangerous. Next he’d demand a new coach, and big contracts for his buddies.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Interesting. 

What's funny is that the scenario Roy is painting is basically how Jackie MacMullen described Jaylen Brown earlier in the season. I believe it was on Zach Lowe's podcast where she said he's not as smart as he thinks he is and rubs teammates the wrong way.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My guess is Brown challenged Kyrie on and off the floor. Called BS on a lot of what Kyrie said about the team as well as real world issues.

What I find most interesting is that Marcus Smart publicly backed Kyrie at the time Kyrie and Brown were having a public spat.  Tells me all I need to know about who was right (Kyrie) and who was being a baby (Brown).

Kyrie also clashed with Stevens, he forced his way out of Cleveland first by not talking to teammates in the playoffs and then threatening to get surgery during the season, he's clashed with teammates at both stops in his career, and overall he's a flake.

I like his on the court game, but I don't automatically jump to his defense when there's a personality conflict.  Kyrie is a space cadet, mixed with a terrible leader.

But Jaylen isn't exactly a beacon of sainthood either. He's clashed with teammates during games (Smart and Morris).

A lot of players clash during games.  Smart is one of my favorites (as is Jaylen), but he’s certainly had his moments as well.  Same with Morris.  All three are very competitive, and bring that emotion with them onto to the court.  Normally it’s positive, sometimes it’s not.  What matters is what we can’t see — how do they communicate when the heat of those moments have passed.

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

It depends on BS and DA's evaluations of Kyrie and if getting rid of those two players would really clean up the locker room, or if it just pushes the the KI conflicts to next year with some other players. 

Kyrie Irving is a great player, but he isn't so great that he can poo-poo the regular season and just walk us to a title. 

I mean look what happened this year in the playoffs vs the bucks.  It wasn't all Kyrie's fault, but he is / was our best player.  Some of it (more than any other player) probably comes down on Kyrie.  When he is shooting 25% from the field in 3 straight playoff games and just overall playing poorly a portion of the blame lies with him. 

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 06:27:07 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I think Marcus was just trying to hold everything together at that point.

Bingo

Just my guess from personal observation...

Clearly Smart is intense, a guy that gives 100% all the time.  Brown plays hard too, but often over thinks things, or falls asleep, etc.

Everybody makes mistakes, both of those guys are far from perfect.  When Smart makes a mistake, you can hear/see him say my bad, slap his own chest, take the blame.

When Brown makes a mistake, I don't think he always owns it (and personally I think that's what got him in Stevens dog house a lot).  I've seen other players yell at Brown, or at least be visibly upset with him, and I think a big reason why is he doesn't seem to own his mistakes.  This play for example, Brown's man blows by him and scores, and Horford is upset going into the timeout.  If that happend to Smart or Morris, they're more likely to slap their chest right away and say "my bad, that's on me."  When Brown makes mistakes, he looks lost or just puts his head down.  I can see that really rubbing a guy like Smart the wrong way.  It's okay to mess up, just own it, don't act confused about what just happened!  Personality clash if anything.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Interesting. 

What's funny is that the scenario Roy is painting is basically how Jackie MacMullen described Jaylen Brown earlier in the season. I believe it was on Zach Lowe's podcast where she said he's not as smart as he thinks he is and rubs teammates the wrong way.

Could be. It could be that we had two competing faux intellectuals philosophizing like they just dropped acid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Going down the “appease Lebron Kyrie” rabbit hole would be dangerous. Next he’d demand a new coach, and big contracts for his buddies.

Exactly.  When he hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of clout.

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Jaylen doesn’t have a history of blowing problems up over the course of his career, though. Kyrie does, which was one of the risks when we traded for him. 

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Jaylen doesn’t have a history of blowing problems up over the course of his career, though. Kyrie does, which was one of the risks when we traded for him.

Yes I don't see Jaylen blowing problems up either.  When Jaylen was sent to the bench by all accounts he handled it like a professional, figured out a way to improve, and made the best of it and just played better.  He actually handled the adversity well.

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2019, 06:37:02 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Exactly.  When he hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of clout.

Don't get me wrong, if you could guarantee that Jaylen Brown would reach Kyrie's level of success, I might say screw it (although the return you would get on Brown + Kyrie would still be better than just an improved Brown).

I think Kyrie is a weirdo - and not the good kind. If Kyrie started demanding Stevens' head or causing even more disruption, I would just trade him. It's not like he is old - there are a number of teams that would give up quite a bit for Kyrie. My reasoning is 100% because I don't want to lose a top tier asset for nothing, not because I believe Kyrie is the model of leadership.