Poll

If we can re-sign Terry Rozier to a 32/4 contract, should we do it?

Yes
6 (46.2%)
No
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: August 02, 2019, 09:00:24 PM

Author Topic: What if Terry Rozier doesn't get a big offer in free agency?  (Read 4011 times)

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Lots of teams have a lot of cap space available this coming free agency and we've seen in previous years (most notably 2016) that teams are stupid and will spend it basically on anyone who they can get, even if these players clearly aren't worth it.

However I have the impression that Rozier is on the bottom of that pool of targets. And that he's a restricted free agent always scares teams away, since they'd show up with nothing when the Celtics match the offer. So I'm wondering whether that big offer will come. Maybe Rozier ends up in a Nerlens-Noel-type-of-situation?

The choice between signing a team-friendly deal on a much lower salary than you hoped for or risk losing out on millions by signing the qualifying offer and never get you career succesfully of the ground. 

I'm not interested of bringing Rozier back on a 1-year-deal, but if we re-sign him longterm on a team-friendly deal than he becomes a future asset. Terry will have the security of being paid (he has only earned 8,7 million in his career so far).

My offer would be 32/4 (and I even believe it's kind of generous, but with a descending salary (8% each year) very interesting from an asset perpective), in millions:

19/20: $8,95
20/21: $8,28
21/22: $7,67
22/23: $7,10

If Rozier plays for the qualifying offer next season (4,29), then he'd have to sign a new multi-year-deal in 2020 at around 12 million a year to make it really worth it. Total earnings over those 4 years in that case: 40 million (8 more, but with risk).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:11:20 AM by RodyTur10 »

Re: What if Terry Rozier doesn't get a big offer in free agency?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:02:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I guess that'd be a value contract, I don't think Rozier would sign it though. The C's would have to offer more. He'd bet on himself and play out the QO if he can't get an offer sheet or extension better than that.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I hope Rozier is not coming back.
I will take Rubio over Rozier- more true PG which i think we need.

Rozier is a 'me' guy, not a team player.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
I guess that'd be a value contract, I don't think Rozier would sign it though. The C's would have to offer more. He'd bet on himself and play out the QO if he can't get an offer sheet or extension better than that.

That's probably the case, since Rozier has an inflated perception of himself and an ego. He'd be unable to accept reality and take the guaranteed money. Unless he has a break-out year that decision could cost him a lot of money though (like Noel).

Most fans don't think it will come to this anyway and some team will offer him big money this summer. I'm just not so sure.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 10:24:41 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd like to see Rozier back on a team friendly contract AND add a Rondo or Rubio.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 10:50:19 AM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
no more than 10mil per year

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would be shocked to see Rozier sign for anything less than $12 million per year.  I’d personally have no problems going to at least $15 million per year.  5 years, $75 million would be a good deal for both sides.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 10:59:28 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Rozier would not be my number 1 option but we all know how much Danny likes him.  With Kyrie most likely leaving and if The C's can resign Horford for 20m they should have 17+ million in cap space.  If they can some how unload Yabu that goes up to 22m.  I think that should be enough space to pry away Brogdon.  If the C's got Brodgon then I'd renounce Rozier.  If not he may be plan B or C.  I just don't like Rozier as Plan A.  The C's need better shooters and guys that are willing to play D.  Rozier is a spotty shooter and does not give consistent effort on D when he has the ability to be a very good defender when he tries.  Guy likes to get his numbers.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would be shocked to see Rozier sign for anything less than $12 million per year.  I’d personally have no problems going to at least $15 million per year.  5 years, $75 million would be a good deal for both sides.
Don't make me grimace Salty
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

$12-$15 million is about right.  Plus, it gets the Celtics a tradable contract for the future.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 11:04:45 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I hope Rozier is not coming back.
I will take Rubio over Rozier- more true PG which i think we need.

Rozier is a 'me' guy, not a team player.

I hope you don't want Kyrie back then also.  He's more of a me guy than TR for sure.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 11:05:31 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Rozier would not be my number 1 option but we all know how much Danny likes him.  With Kyrie most likely leaving and if The C's can resign Horford for 20m they should have 17+ million in cap space.  If they can some how unload Yabu that goes up to 22m.  I think that should be enough space to pry away Brogdon.  If the C's got Brodgon then I'd renounce Rozier.  If not he may be plan B or C.  I just don't like Rozier as Plan A.  The C's need better shooters and guys that are willing to play D.  Rozier is a spotty shooter and does not give consistent effort on D when he has the ability to be a very good defender when he tries.  Guy likes to get his numbers.

17+ in cap space, Vucevic!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 11:25:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You’ve forgotten about the Celtics draft pick holds when thinking of potential cap space.  Even if they renounced all their free agents, including Rozier and Kyrie, they’ve got about $8 million in cap holds for those picks.  Even assuming they successfully dump Yabu, they’d have only $11-12 million in cap space.  That’s not going to be anywhere enough to get a second-tier free agent — at best you’d get someone of Rozier’s quality while filling out the rest of your rotation with minimum salary players and the room exception.  I’ll take Rozier at $12-15 million, and at least two of the MLE, BAE, and Morris.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You’ve forgotten about the Celtics draft pick holds when thinking of potential cap space.  Even if they renounced all their free agents, including Rozier and Kyrie, they’ve got about $8 million in cap holds for those picks.  Even assuming they successfully dump Yabu, they’d have only $11-12 million in cap space.  That’s not going to be anywhere enough to get a second-tier free agent — at best you’d get someone of Rozier’s quality while filling out the rest of your rotation with minimum salary players and the room exception.  I’ll take Rozier at $12-15 million, and at least two of the MLE, BAE, and Morris.
I've missed this.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 11:28:16 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

You're the cap expert: how is $15 million a year for Rozier a good deal?

To be worth that he has to become an above average starting point guard. And assuming that we build on and resign Brown and Tatum, we'd be capped out. That means that Tatum, Brown, Smart and Rozier is the core of our hopefully contending team for the foreseeable future.