Author Topic: This players dont want to play in Boston is getting old  (Read 4822 times)

This players dont want to play in Boston is getting old
« on: June 16, 2019, 09:10:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
and it is really becoming a hurdle for Boston. What can ve done about it.

Re: This players dont want to play in Boston is getting old
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 09:19:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Build an organizational culture that certain kinds of players respect and enjoy.  Build a team that has a lot of fun playing together to the point that players on other teams want to experience the same thing.  Implement a system that facilitates the players enjoying themselves.

Also, win a lot of games. That's the biggest one really.  If you win a lot your players and fans have fun and other players want to be a part of that.

The Celtics can't make Boston into a place with a great nightlife or change the city's reputation as a place that isn't culturally welcoming to people of color. But they can make working and playing for the Celtics seem like a rewarding experience.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 09:34:41 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
at some point the team has to meet this issue head on.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 09:35:37 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Right or wrong, Boston is seen as white, Irish, chowdaheads!  Not what the brothers want to be affiliated with!  Don't know how you change that perception!  Some players would rather look good and lose rather than look bad and win!
Unless we're going to simply GREATLY overpay, the best players are simply not picking Boston as a choice destination.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Right or wrong, Boston is seen as white, Irish, chowdaheads!  Not what the brothers want to be affiliated with!  Don't know how you change that perception!  Some players would rather look good and lose rather than look bad and win!
Unless we're going to simply GREATLY overpay, the best players are simply not picking Boston as a choice destination.

I live in LA and Laker fans definitely push this narrative.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 09:49:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Boston added the second best available free agent in one year then landed the best available free agent the next. Boston is an appealing destination, but some prefer other places. To each their own. But after landing Horford and Hayward, it's difficult to claim Boston isn't a place players want to play. Heck, Boston dumped IT and he still wants to come back here.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 10:00:17 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Why party with movie stars on a yacht when you can shovel snow and walk the freedom trail...? It’s 100% the amenities of the city. For an average family, Boston is a fantastic city with history and good schools to raise your kids. For the mega wealthy 20 somethings, it’s just not exciting. Horford and Hayward aren’t the partying types.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 10:05:47 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
For divas who loves night life and parties, Boston is just not that.  But for players whose goal is only basketball reasons, Celtics is one of the better choices.

Al is a basketball guy, so was Hayward. If the Warriors won back in 2016, Durant would be a Celtic by now. Clowns like AD would pick personal brand over winning culture.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 10:17:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Boston added the second best available free agent in one year then landed the best available free agent the next. Boston is an appealing destination, but some prefer other places. To each their own. But after landing Horford and Hayward, it's difficult to claim Boston isn't a place players want to play. Heck, Boston dumped IT and he still wants to come back here.

I was going to point out that it's really important that when a guy does choose to join the team, that guy ends up having a good experience and enjoying his time with the team.  If other players around the league see that a guy who decided to play in Boston ended up liking it (and it was good for his career), that helps to encourage other players to consider the team in the future.

But not all players are the same.  Al Horford chose the Celtics based on his own values and preferences.  Same with Hayward. Not every big free agent is going to want or care about the same things.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 10:26:40 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I’m a diehard Celtics fan.  However, Boston is a Potemkin village.  I wouldn’t live there.  I can’t blame players for not wanting to live there either.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I was going to point out that it's really important that when a guy does choose to join the team, that guy ends up having a good experience and enjoying his time with the team.  If other players around the league see that a guy who decided to play in Boston ended up liking it (and it was good for his career), that helps to encourage other players to consider the team in the future.

But not all players are the same.  Al Horford chose the Celtics based on his own values and preferences.  Same with Hayward. Not every big free agent is going to want or care about the same things.

Both are family guys, so it kinda makes sense that the area isn't huge with the night life. Most guys who play hear end up loving it. Look at KG, dude didn't want to leave.

This is also something that drives me nuts about the NBA. Guys too worried about their brand and the new cool thing to do in town, and less about basketball.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 10:39:16 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

Both are family guys, so it kinda makes sense that the area isn't huge with the night life. Most guys who play hear end up loving it. Look at KG, dude didn't want to leave.

This is also something that drives me nuts about the NBA. Guys too worried about their brand and the new cool thing to do in town, and less about basketball.

Actually, guys are there to work (NBA) and when their work day (game days) is over they got to go out, have fun and splurge. Kinda same as us type of 8-5 peeps, except these guys are like millionaires who get paid to put a ball in a hoop.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 10:41:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
For divas who loves night life and parties, Boston is just not that.  But for players whose goal is only basketball reasons, Celtics is one of the better choices.

Al is a basketball guy, so was Hayward. If the Warriors won back in 2016, Durant would be a Celtic by now. Clowns like AD would pick personal brand over winning culture.
Are you saying the Lakers don't have a winning culture.  Lebron James went to 8 straight finals, does he not have a winning culture?  It seems like a strange argument you are making.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 10:43:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Are you saying the Lakers don't have a winning culture.  Lebron James went to 8 straight finals, does he not have a winning culture?  It seems like a strange argument you are making.
The Lakers have not been in the playoffs for quire some time though. It's clear that LeBron had numerous considerations that weren't to do with basketball that led to him moving there, whether it was his family, his desire to be more involved in entertainment, or something else.

The Lakers haven't had a winning culture since Kobe was around
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 10:58:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We got lucky that Horford was Dominican and one of our cities biggest sports heroes is Dominican (two if you include Pedro...three if you include Manny). We also got lucky that Hayward's college coach just happened to be coaching our ECF team.

This is not to say that Boston is bottom of the barrel in terms of FA destinations, but I think more evidence is needed before I begin ranking it in like the top 1/4. I agree that winning lots of games (and having cap space) are two things that can really help your cause, but guys like Kyrie and AD weren't even impressed by that.