Author Topic: Where is the effort? and why is there a lack of it?  (Read 630 times)

Where is the effort? and why is there a lack of it?
« on: November 22, 2018, 12:21:10 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
thats really what this is IMO. When a team can continuously rally back from 20-25 down it shows they have the talent and tenacity to do so....BUT why is the team in that position to begin with?

The team we saw in the first half tonight was not the same as in the 2nd half. It is almost as if they feel they can just go out there and win by showing up against non-elite teams. Then when they get 25 down realize "oh [dang] we need to play hard nose basketball and come back"

one would think being 9-9 guys will realize that they need to be agressive from the start and not just when 20-25 down. Hopefully hayward also gets confidence from this game where he can start playing better. seeing him pass up open layups was just disheartening.

Re: Where is the effort? and why is there a lack of it?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:29:21 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Complacency, laziness, waiting till the **** has hit the fan before rousing yourself because “you come back from big leads all the time”, thinking you have so much talent that you can switch it on whenever you need to do why put in the effort in from the opening whistle?

That’s basically what it is. Also maybe feeling demotivated by the prospect of a lesser role this year after you played so well last year.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 12:33:19 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Complacency, laziness, waiting till the **** has hit the fan before rousing yourself because “you come back from big leads all the time”, thinking you have so much talent that you can switch it on whenever you need to do why put in the effort in from the opening whistle?

That’s basically what it is. Also maybe feeling demotivated by the prospect of a lesser role this year after you played so well last year.

Then Brad needs to bench guys who feel that way until they play with extra effort. clearly continuing to play guys like Rozier isn't helping...

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 12:35:36 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The struggles on offense are affecting the defense.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 12:39:04 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Then Brad needs to bench guys who feel that way until they play with extra effort. clearly continuing to play guys like Rozier isn't helping...

Totally agree. Bench those players not putting in the effort. If it means we run with Wanamaker, Ojeleye and Co for most of the next game and lose so be it. Send a message that while missing shots is something that happens, not putting in the effort from the tipoff is not acceptable. To hell with egos.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 02:38:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
When shots don't fall and the team is struggling, especially in the context of sky high preseason expectations, it becomes harder and harder to give consistent effort and trust teammates to make the right play.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 03:37:12 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
thats really what this is IMO. When a team can continuously rally back from 20-25 down it shows they have the talent and tenacity to do so....BUT why is the team in that position to begin with?

The team we saw in the first half tonight was not the same as in the 2nd half. It is almost as if they feel they can just go out there and win by showing up against non-elite teams. Then when they get 25 down realize "oh [dang] we need to play hard nose basketball and come back"

one would think being 9-9 guys will realize that they need to be agressive from the start and not just when 20-25 down. Hopefully hayward also gets confidence from this game where he can start playing better. seeing him pass up open layups was just disheartening.

This team has been unwatchable this year.  I started out excited for the season to start and now I dont even want to watch.  The games are awful from start to finish. It’s just bad basketball plain and simple.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 03:51:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This team has been unwatchable this year.  I started out excited for the season to start and now I dont even want to watch.  The games are awful from start to finish. It’s just bad basketball plain and simple.

Yeah that's really the heart of the matter.

I was so excited when the season started and we're less than twenty games in and I already find myself not wanting to watch the team at all unless I know that they won. Because I suppose I don't want to bother sitting through the ugly offense if it doesn't result in a win.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain