Author Topic: Which 6 Guards Make Your All NBA Teams?  (Read 5374 times)

Which 6 Guards Make Your All NBA Teams?
« on: March 10, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
3 All NBA Teams, each one with 2 guard spots.

Harden ad Curry should be locks for the first team, I'd say (unless Curry misses a bunch of time at the end of the season and he gets dinged for it). After that there are 4 spots for Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, Russell Westbrook, Victor Oladipo, Demar Derozan, Chris Paul, and Kyle Lowry,

Tight race and that's without giving John Wall, Klay Thompson, CJ Mccollum, or Kemba Walker any consideration.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Which 6 Guards Make Your All NBA Teams?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
1st
Harden, Curry
2nd
Kyrie, Derozan
3rd
Paul, Lillard
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This might not be a popular opinion but I think there is a very strong argument that Kyrie isn't among the top 6 guards. I love Kyrie, I am not someone who hated the trade or are still in love with IT. I think Irving has been great this year but a lot of other guards have been too. I could see an argument for:

1st Team: Harden, Curry
2nd Team: Westbrook, DeRozan
3rd Team: Lillard, Oladipo or Paul

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 07:01:13 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
This might not be a popular opinion but I think there is a very strong argument that Kyrie isn't among the top 6 guards. I love Kyrie, I am not someone who hated the trade or are still in love with IT. I think Irving has been great this year but a lot of other guards have been too. I could see an argument for:

Wbrook over Kyrie? Based on what?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 07:04:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This might not be a popular opinion

It won't be popular because it's not taking into account standings (OKC #7, Indiana # 5) or games/minutes played (Irving has played 12 more games and about 400 more minutes than CP3).

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 07:13:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Wbrook over Kyrie? Based on what?
Statistics

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 07:15:21 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
1st team - Harden and Curry
2nd team - Lillard and Derozan
3rd team - Kyrie and Westbrook

That's what I would have if the season ended today. I think people are sleeping on Lillard though. He should be 2nd team at least, and if Curry misses a couple more games and the Blazers stay red hot, I think he could pass him.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 07:43:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
The more I think about it, the more I want to leave Westbrook off. He's basically averaging a triple double again but the Thunder are on pace to finish with a worse record than they did last year despite their roster improvements. Last year his MVP was built on a foundation of "his teammates just aren't any good." This season, feels like evidence that Westbrook's style of play stifles his teammates and is not conducive to winning.

Maybe leaving him off an All NBA Team is too much backlash but if it's between him and Oladipo, Derozan, Lillard, or Kyrie, I'd rather have any of those guys.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 07:57:26 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The more I think about it, the more I want to leave Westbrook off. He's basically averaging a triple double again but the Thunder are on pace to finish with a worse record than they did last year despite their roster improvements. Last year his MVP was built on a foundation of "his teammates just aren't any good." This season, feels like evidence that Westbrook's style of play stifles his teammates and is not conducive to winning.

Maybe leaving him off an All NBA Team is too much backlash but if it's between him and Oladipo, Derozan, Lillard, or Kyrie, I'd rather have any of those guys.

There's definitely something to be said about Westbrook not playing nice with others nor being willing to share the sandbox.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
What I struggle to understand is how someone like Westbrook can be so dominate yet not be a winner. What is it about his game that doesnt equate to winning?
ok fine

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton

There's definitely something to be said about Westbrook not playing nice with others nor being willing to share the sandbox.

How is he considered a hog ball when he dishes so many assists on a nightly basis?
ok fine

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 08:02:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

That's what I would have if the season ended today. I think people are sleeping on Lillard though. He should be 2nd team at least, and if Curry misses a couple more games and the Blazers stay red hot, I think he could pass him.

Yeah, it hurts to say, and don't anyone ever let indeedproceed find out about this, but Lillard has been better than Kyrie this season.

I'd definitely have no problem putting Oladipo in Westbrook's place on the 3rd team.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 08:03:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

How is he considered a hog ball when he dishes so many assists on a nightly basis?

Probably the same way Rondo was. He only passes the ball if he knows he's getting the assist.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 08:12:36 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Yeah, it hurts to say, and don't anyone ever let indeedproceed find out about this, but Lillard has been better than Kyrie this season.

Based on what? Kyrie has been significantly more efficient than Lillard in pretty much every measure outside of free throws, and pretty much every other statistical difference disappears or favors Kyrie (except assists) when the minute difference is accounted for (per 36). Plus, Kyrie is on the better team, so I don’t see any justification for this argument.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton

Probably the same way Rondo was. He only passes the ball if he knows he's getting the assist.

Except stats don't back that up. He's 5th in the league in amount of passes per game. Dude moves the ball around so it's clearly something else.
ok fine