Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366887 times)

All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« on: January 07, 2017, 01:36:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
To be fair to the Sixers they had no idea Embiid would be this good. It's great for them that they held onto them.

But last night Jahil Okafor didn't play despite Embiid being on a minutes restriction, fouling out, and Noel picking up his 5th in the 4th quarter.

They're tanking....again....and it's obvious they don't want to hurt one of the their guys and anticipate a trade of a big.

But the optics are horrid. It makes it look like they have no idea how to manage minutes or personalities.

I wouldn't offer anything all that great for one of their bigs. The Sixers are no longer dealing from strength.

I'd offer like KO, Rozier, maybe Demetrius J, a late first, and a 2nd for Jahil and that's it. When you start talking about offering Smart you're just bidding against yourself.

My point is "Oh you want Smart? Odd. Because Smart is actually playing and contributing to winning and Jahil isn't. So if you want Smart what else will you offer us?"

Would I do Smart straight up for Jahil? Definitely. I think Rozier could step into his place and I think we'll be drafting high where there are very very good guards. But there's no need to. Definitely not a starting place.

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
To be fair to the Sixers they had no idea Embiid would be this good. It's great for them that they held onto them.

But last night Jahil Okafor didn't play despite Embiid being on a minutes restriction, fouling out, and Noel picking up his 5th in the 4th quarter.

They're tanking....again....and it's obvious they don't want to hurt one of the their guys and anticipate a trade of a big.

But the optics are horrid. It makes it look like they have no idea how to manage minutes or personalities.

I wouldn't offer anything all that great for one of their bigs. The Sixers are no longer dealing from strength.

I'd offer like KO, Rozier, maybe Demetrius J, a late first, and a 2nd for Jahil and that's it. When you start talking about offering Smart you're just bidding against yourself.

My point is "Oh you want Smart? Odd. Because Smart is actually playing and contributing to winning and Jahil isn't. So if you want Smart what else will you offer us?"

Would I do Smart straight up for Jahil? Definitely. I think Rozier could step into his place and I think we'll be drafting high where there are very very good guards. But there's no need to. Definitely not a starting place.

I totally agree eja and Danny was smart to wait!!!  I don't know why Okafor intrigues me with his old school game (offensively) and potential and IMHO, his ability to be taught to develop into a fairly good defender and a better rebounder.

Smitty77

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Okafor is only in his 2nd season.  The only pressure to trade him is if they'd rather pay big bucks to keep Noel and Noel is willing to be Embiid's backup.  The former is questionable and the latter is doubtful.  One thing to remember is Okafor was injured at the end of last season so his offseason was focused on recovery not development.  They've still got time to improve his game before trying to trade him. 

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 01:58:43 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Okafor is an absolute beast in the box, i'm sold on him.
But Smart's value is at all time high right now, i would not give up on him for Okafor. In that sense i don't know what package would we send for him.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I thought Okafor didn't play because he is considered injured? Something to do with his hamstring?

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 02:06:45 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Right now Smart is worth more than Okafor. And it isn't all that close.

Smart is a regular positive contributor on a home court advantage playoff team. Jah sits on the bench for the 2nd worst team in the league because of a bad attitude, a style of play that doesn't fit anywhere, poor defense and rebounding, and someone who is much much better than him (embiid).

I'm offering Rozier + Young  + a 2nd rounder for Okafor. I'll grin when the 6ers hang up on me, then call me back a few months later choking on the words "is that deal still on the table?" And the **** of it is that it might not be if Rozier comes on strong or Zizic continues his runaway hype train.

Right now I look at Okafor as a poor man's Brooke Lopez with attitude issues.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Sixers are in such great position to have a long-term championship run.  They have 2 likely top 2017 ten picks --extremely valuable as picks or trade chips to add to an embarrassment of riches of young star potential in Embiid and Simmons with young assets like JO, Saric, Stauskas, McConnell, Noel.  If the roster is managed well, they'll own the East in 3 years. I think Danny would give his left and right arms to trade places with Philly right now.    Philly, Minny, and LAL all reaping benefits of playing to lose. 

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Sixers are in such great position to have a long-term championship run.  They have 2 likely top 2017 ten picks --extremely valuable as picks or trade chips to add to an embarrassment of riches of young star potential in Embiid and Simmons with young assets like JO, Saric, Stauskas, McConnell, Noel.  If the roster is managed well, they'll own the East in 3 years. I think Danny would give his left and right arms to trade places with Philly right now.    Philly, Minny, and LAL all reaping benefits of playing to lose.
Simmons is a great asset and Embiid is a stud.

However half a season on a minutes restriction without playing back to backs doesnt go too far in assuaging the fears of his injuries. The only thing that can hold him back is his health, but its still a pretty huge red flag.

Stauskas and McConnell are not assets.

Right now Noel and Okafor are mediocre assets.

Saric is a nice piece.

They are likely to get 2 top 10 picks, but LA should be pretty close to 10 and Philly has played well enough lately that combined with the addition of Simmons I could see that pick dropping outside the top 5.

"If the roster is managed well" is a nice way of saying "no matter what happens I will be right" but there is 0 guarantee that a)Simmons becomes a star b) the Lakers or their own pick is high enough to yield a star and c)Embiid remains healthy.

They will not "own the east". Danny might prefer Philly's situation and there is no denying Philly is in a good place, but the idea that they are miles ahead of us is absurd.

The Nets pick projects as a surefire top 5 pick this year and we also have Jaylen Brown and a 50 win outfit along with a better coach a star in his own right and another likely top 10 pick the next year with Nets '18.

Philly is in great shape, but Ill still take Boston.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

You thought wrong.

Embiid certainly looks like a stud. He and two high draft choices this year are the only guarantee Philly has in the bank right now. Otherwise they're a bad team with a bad record.

You really looked at this through rose-colored glasses. To wit:
- Simmons hasn't played at all in the NBA. He'll probably be a good player but he's not a guarantee.
- Saric looks like he can play but doesn't look like a world beater at this point. A nice piece and a guy I'd like to have on the Cs but not likely an All-Star.
- Okafor's stock has been dropping and his stats are down this year.
- Noel is a RFA this season and isn't likely to stay.
- These guys can't play on the court together anyway.
- When you mention Stauskas as an asset - a guy who has been a failure his entire career - you lose all credibility.
- TJ McConnell? A soon-to-be 25 year old averaging 4 points a game and you consider that an asset? Come on. That's pathetic.

That's not an embarrassment of riches. What's an embarrassment is their record the last 3 years. They're on pace for a whopping 22 wins. Oh my. If you think Danny would swap places you're nuts. Danny isn't a loser. Instead of looking over the fence and thinking the grass is greener, try looking at the NBA standings once in a while.

----

As an aside, every year many fans of really crappy teams think they have the pieces to turn it all around. Most often they don't and there's a reason for that. Potential doesn't always mean production. Players that lose a lot sometimes learn to tolerate it. A lack of veteran presence often means that players don't learn how to do the little things to win. And by the time these teams figure it out they're stripped by Free Agency departures as players leave for greener pastures.

Now it might be in 3 years that Philly is a contender. But it' could be in 3 years that Philly still sucks because players left or didn't pan out. It's a LONG LONG LONG journey from 20 wins to being a contender.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:40:46 PM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

You thought wrong.

Embiid certainly looks like a stud. He and two high draft choices this year are the only guarantee Philly has in the bank right now. Otherwise they're a bad team with a bad record.

Simmons hasn't played at all in the NBA.
Saric looks like he can play but doesn't look like a world beater at this point.
Okafor's stock has been dropping and his stats are down.
Noel is a RFA this season and isn't likely to stay.
When you mention Stauskas as an asset - a guy who has been a failure his entire career - you lose all credibility.
TJ McConnell? A soon-to-be 25 year old averaging 4 points a game and you consider that an asset? Come on. That's pathetic.

That's not an embarrassment of riches. What's an embarrassment is their record the last 3 years. They're on pace for a whopping 22 wins. Oh my. If you think Danny would swap places you're nuts. Danny isn't a loser. Instead of looking over the fence and thinking the grass is greener, try looking at the NBA standings once in a while.
to be fair. Philly is  in a nice position. If Embiid can stay healthy (a massive if) he should be absolutely dominant. Simmons has some questions (drive scoring ability) but he was still the clear cut best prospect in the draft last year. He is a big time asset. They are also likely to have 2 top 10 picks this year in a draft laden with good guards. Thats a great opportunity for them to add some more terrific prospects.

Philly is in terrific shape. As is Minnesota. I think LA is also in nice shape. However, so are the Boston Celtics.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

You thought wrong.

- Simmons hasn't played at all in the NBA. He'll probably be a good player but he's not a guarantee.
- Saric looks like he can play but doesn't look like a world beater at this point. A nice piece and a guy I'd like to have on the Cs but not likely an All-Star.
- When you mention Stauskas as an asset - a guy who has been a failure his entire career - you lose all credibility.
- TJ McConnell? A soon-to-be 25 year old averaging 4 points a game and you consider that an asset? Come on. That's pathetic.

----

As an aside, every year many fans of really crappy teams think they have the pieces to turn it all around. Most often they don't and there's a reason for that. Potential doesn't always mean production. Players that lose a lot sometimes learn to tolerate it. A lack of veteran presence often means that players don't learn how to do the little things to win. And by the time these teams figure it out they're stripped by Free Agency departures as players leave for greener pastures.

Now it might be in 3 years that Philly is a contender. But it' could be in 3 years that Philly still sucks because players left or didn't pan out. It's a LONG LONG LONG journey from 20 wins to being a contender.

I accept your critique except that you misuse the term rose-colored glasses.  My view was apessimist's view from the Cs perspective.     McConnelll is a marginal asset ike many of the C's throw-ins, but the rest have good value including JO.  Based on how much Cs fans seem to be valuing our 2017 swap, having 2 picks that could end up top 5 in 2017 might be viewed as nearly twice as good.  Cs have no one who has  the superstar potential of JE or Simmons.  Granted, Simmons could be a bust and Embiid could be injured.  But I'd take either one ahead of anyone on the Cs roster.  Yes, I think Danny would rather play poker with the Sixers assets than the Cs assets - despite your compelling argument to the contrary. 

And, of course a losing culture can be hard to break is a good argument i-- f it weren't for the examples of losing teams that became winners.   You recall what happened to the Wickes/Rowe Cs once 23 yo Larry Bird got here. Losing culture dies quickly when dominant players begin to dominate.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

You thought wrong.

----

I accept your critique except that you misuse the term rose-colored glasses.  My view was apessimist's view from the Cs perspective.     McConnelll is a marginal asset ike many of the C's throw-ins, but the rest have good value including JO.  Based on how much Cs fans seem to be valuing our 2017 swap, having 2 picks that could end up top 5 in 2017 might be viewed as nearly twice as good.  Cs have no one who has  the superstar potential of JE or Simmons.  Granted, Simmons could be a bust and Embiid could be injured.  But I'd take either one ahead of anyone on the Cs roster.  Yes, I think Danny would rather play poker with the Sixers assets than the Cs assets - despite your compelling argument to the contrary. 

And, of course a losing culture can be hard to break is a good argument i-- f it weren't for the examples of losing teams that became winners.   You recall what happened to the Wickes/Rowe Cs once The Big Three got here. Losing culture dies quickly when dominant players begin to dominate.
Would you trade the Nets swap for the Lakers pick? no.
Would you trade the Nets swap for the Sixers pick? I sure wouldnt.

thus the Lakers + Sixers pick < 2* Nets pick.

Losing culture Ive always felt was kinda a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty argument, but there is something to be said for it within player development. I think both Noel and Okafor have seen their developments stunted in large part due to the losing culture of Philly. Same could easily happen with Simmons whose only real question marks were about his kinda strange lack of competitiveness.

McConnell is an asset in the sense that Phil Pressey was an asset or that James Young is an asset. Nik Stauskas is probably a notch above James young but he isnt a real asset either.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133

You thought wrong.

----

And, of course a losing culture can be hard to break is a good argument i-- f it weren't for the examples of losing teams that became winners.   You recall what happened to the Wickes/Rowe Cs once 23 yo Larry Bird got here. Losing culture dies quickly when dominant players begin to dominate.
No one? Jaylen Brown disagrees.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

You thought wrong.

----

If you'd take Simmons over a guy averaging 27.7 ppg and another who is a 4 time all star then that's your prerogative. I don't think anyone else would.

You claim Embiid. I'll toss back IT. I'd take Embiid in the future but IT is better now.
You claim Simmons. I'll throw back Brown. Simmons was drafted higher, Brown has at least played and showed that he belongs in the NBA.
You claim Okafor. I'll counter with Smart. I'd rather have Smart all week long and twice on Sunday.
Two top 10 picks? The Cs have a top 5 this year and most likely next as well. Call that a wash.

Now let's look at the rest. Noel (who almost certainly won't be there next year), Saric and...nothing else really.

Yeah, I'll counter that with Horford, Bradley and Crowder who are miles better than anyone the 76ers can put on the court outside Embiid. Then I'll thrown in draft-and-stash candidates like Yabu and Zizic. I'll toss in Brad Stevens, about 30 more wins this season and a host of future picks as well.

Danny has no interest in being the 76ers. If you doubt that, consider this - Danny had a chance to do that...and traded for IT instead. 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

You thought wrong.

----

No one? Jaylen Brown disagrees.

I like Jaylen a lot, but I don't see him having the superstar potential of either Embiid or Simmons.  I think Danny would trade JB for either straight up in a heartbeat.

I could certaimly be wrong (hope I am)  about that - just my guess that the JE and Simmons ceilings are a solid notch higher than JBs.