Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 275407 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #375 on: September 11, 2012, 09:34:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm about to go home and crack open a Smuttynose IPA. Always a good standby. MMMmmmmm.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #376 on: September 11, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm about to go home and crack open a Smuttynose IPA. Always a good standby. MMMmmmmm.

Had it this weekend. Good, not great.

But guess who can make arrows that point at him and found a case of Racer 5 and a case of GL Brewing's Edmund Fitzgerald for less than $50 combined?

<<<----- this guy!!!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #377 on: September 14, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Having a Sam Adams "fat jack double pumpkin" right now.  Pretty good, actually has some pumpkin too it. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #378 on: September 14, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Having a Sam Adams "fat jack double pumpkin" right now.  Pretty good, actually has some pumpkin too it.

I'm trying  my best to enjoy a Sam Harvest Pumpkin.  Not having much luck.  I think I'm just not a pumpkin ale guy, though I did like the UFO one.
Yup

« Reply #379 on: September 14, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I'm trying  my best to enjoy a Sam Harvest Pumpkin.  Not having much luck.  I think I'm just not a pumpkin ale guy, though I did like the UFO one.

I agree Redz, I find most pump,in beers just take like weird beer.  Not  really like pumpkins.  This Sam double jack was 7bucks for a 24 ounce so it's one of their special brews.. Probably one of the best pumpkin beers I've ever had
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #380 on: September 14, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I agree Redz, I find most pump,in beers just take like weird beer.  Not  really like pumpkins.  This Sam double jack was 7bucks for a 24 ounce so it's one of their special brews.. Probably one of the best pumpkin beers I've ever had

Alright.  I'll give it a whirl.

I'm still bummed that Sam Adams IPology mix pack was a "limited edition".  Those were some of my favorite beers I've had from them, and then they were gone!  They were only a couple of bucks more for the twelve pack than normal releases too.
Yup

« Reply #381 on: September 14, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Here's a question from a guy who's never had a pumpkin beer: is it really the pumpkin you guys are talking about, or is it the spice profile (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, whatever) that comes through?

I love pumpkin bread, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin muffins. But I don't think I love it for the actual pumpkin, if you get what I'm saying. Is it the same with pumpkin beer?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #382 on: September 14, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Here's a question from a guy who's never had a pumpkin beer: is it really the pumpkin you guys are talking about, or is it the spice profile (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, whatever) that comes through?

I love pumpkin bread, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin muffins. But I don't think I love it for the actual pumpkin, if you get what I'm saying. Is it the same with pumpkin beer?

Hmmm...not even really sure what actual pumpkin tastes like now that you mention it  ;)
Yup

« Reply #383 on: September 14, 2012, 11:00:37 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Haha I dunno lucky, I'm really going off the taste of pumpkin seasds and pumpkin bread!

« Reply #384 on: September 14, 2012, 11:09:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Did anyone try that Whacko beer from Magic Hat, brewed with beets? I've heard of gluten-free beer from sweet potatoes. From what I hear, neither of those beers get their taste profiles from those ingredients: it's just the sugars that are important.

If you can do beer from pumpkin, how about beer from squash? Might be tough to market that. Pumpkin is so very fall, and full of whimsy. Squash is something you had to clean off your plate before you could have dessert.

« Reply #385 on: September 14, 2012, 11:54:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Pumpkin beers 101:

Pumpkins from Southern Tier
Punkin from Dogfish
---
Everybody else

I am a huge unbeliever with Pumpkin beers. They're gimmicky, often just beer overly sweet without the Pumpkin profile really making a good beer.

The best pumpkin beers are slanted towards imperials, bigger beers handle the spice profile better.

I wouldnt recommend a brewing endeavor unless you're in love with a beer and want to experiment with a clone.

Pumpkin beers arent 'pumpkin beers'. They're 'pumpkin pie' beers. That is the taste the best ones emulate.
I have tried the 'whacko' beet beer from magic hat. It's okay. Not great, the beets don't change the flavor. It's just a good ale.

« Reply #386 on: September 14, 2012, 11:56:40 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Pumpkin beers 101:

Punkin from Dogfish
Pumpking from Southern Tier
---
Everybody else

I am a huge unbeliever with Pumpkin beers. They're gimmicky, often just beer overly sweet without the Pumpkin profile really making a good beer.

The best pumpkin beers are slanted towards imperials, bigger beers handle the spice profile better.

I wouldnt recommend a brewing endeavor unless you're in love with a beer and want to experiment with a clone.

Pumpkin beers arent 'pumpkin beers'. They're 'pumpkin pie' beers. That is the taste the best ones emulate.

I have tried the 'whacko' beet beer from magic hat. It's okay. Not great, the beets don't change the flavor. It's just a good ale.

I saw pumpking from southern tier and you know my ithace routes draw me to those kinda beers, have you tried double jack?

« Reply #387 on: September 14, 2012, 11:58:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Havent tried the double jack, but I will. Sounds like an answer to Pumpking. Def an imperial.

« Reply #388 on: September 15, 2012, 12:33:22 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Yeah, the Southern Tier, from what I hear, is unabashedly a "pumpkin pie" beer. If that's what they are going for, and they nail it, then I have no problem with that. I'd certainly try it out.

Otherwise, I fully agree with IP. To me, they sound like sweet, spiced beers promoted as "pumpkin beers".

« Reply #389 on: September 15, 2012, 12:42:14 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Yeah, the Southern Tier, from what I hear, is unabashedly a "pumpkin pie" beer. If that's what they are going for, and they nail it, then I have no problem with that. I'd certainly try it out.

Otherwise, I fully agree with IP. To me, they sound like sweet, spiced beers promoted as "pumpkin beers".

See, the 'Pumpkin pie' angle conjures up significant imagery in the mind. That's why theyre great.

Think about your favorite pumpkin dishes; cookies, pies, muffins. All super sweet. I tried a pumpkin and sausage dish once with rice pilaf served under. I literally almost threw up. Literally. Pumpkin can add a flavor, but on its own....nahsomuch.