Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 275334 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #360 on: September 04, 2012, 09:51:06 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Speaking of pumpkin, has anyone tried the Sam pumpkin yet?

Curious although I have my doubts

Did a taste test of the Harpoon UFO Pumpkin vs. Sam Harvest Pumpkin Ale Saturday, and Harpoon won with flying colors.  Sam's had a lot less pumpkin flavor and honestly looked and tasted like Octoberfest with a little cinnamon and pumpkin spice added. 

I'm venturing out this weekend to try to find a bomber of Sam's new Fat Jack double pumpkin this weekend (I think it's 8.5% abv).  I tried it on tap at Sunset Grill last fall so I'm excited to see that they released it for sale this year.  Definitely a more interesting take on the pumpkin beer.

I read about the Fat Jack.  That's the one I'm definitely curious about.  The draft was alright?

Sorry to say I don't remember too much, as we had gone to the Sam Brewery and then Sunset, so needless to say I had quite the variety that day.  I do remember it was a much darker brown than the Harvest Pumpkin Ale, and had a good amount of kick given the ABV.  And if I hated it, I would have remembered that.  :P Considering Sam's bombers are pretty reasonably priced, it's certainly worth a try if you can find it.

Cool, thanks.

Did the taste test this weekend, and was incredibly disappointed with the Fat Jack.  NO pumpkin taste whatsoever, and it actually reminded me of their Double Bock in a weird way.  If they called it a Spiced Ale or something like that, I may have appreciated it a little more, but I was expecting at least a hint of pumpkin flavor.  Also had the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin afterwards, and preferred that a little bit more.

« Reply #361 on: September 04, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I had the Harpoon Pumpkin UFO over the weekend, not usually a huge fan of pumpkin beer.  (I don't think it tastes like pumpkin, just weird tasting beer)  But the Harpoon was pretty darn good
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #362 on: September 04, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Funny you mention this, I also tried the Fat Jack over the weekend and was prety ho-hum about it myself.  Pretty sweet & almost syrupy.  It wasn't bad but I wouldn't rank it in the upper tier of pumpkins, either.

I also tried Lakefront Brewing Co. (Milwaukee, WI) Pumpkin Lager and liked it a lot.  Smooth, not too sweet yet enough spice to enjoy.  I definitely recommend it.  It's a lighter pumpkin too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #363 on: September 10, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Working my way through Sam Adams`  new fall sampler 12 pack (not all tonight  ;) ).   The Dunkelweizen may well be a fine Weizen but I have come to the conclusion that I am just not a fan of Weizens.

I did really enjoy the Hazel Brown though...right up my alley.
Yup

« Reply #364 on: September 10, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Working my way through Sam Adams`  new fall sampler 12 pack (not all tonight  ;) ).   The Dunkelweizen may well be a fine Weizen but I have come to the conclusion that I am just not a fan of Weizens.

I did really enjoy the Hazel Brown though...right up my alley.
I am having a Boston Lager right now and it's ok....but Jim Koch freaks me out in a Willy Wonkaish kinda way.

« Reply #365 on: September 10, 2012, 10:33:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Anyone else's mind immediately go to Family Guy's spoof on Willy Wonka?

I can't wait to try the fall sampler now, Sam's offerings are usually just..meh, but for 15 bucks or better if it's on sale, I can both satisfy my own anti-InBev beer proclamation and get something better than yuengling.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I can't wait to try the fall sampler now, Sam's offerings are usually just..meh, but for 15 bucks or better if it's on sale, I can both satisfy my own anti-InBev beer proclamation and get something better than yuengling.

Yeah. I like that I can get two tastes of some new beers for relatively cheap with those Sammy samplers. Will try most beers twice before I write them off completely. Mighty Oak or Old Fezziwig, for instance. Yikes.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yeah. I like that I can get two tastes of some new beers for relatively cheap with those Sammy samplers. Will try most beers twice before I write them off completely. Mighty Oak or Old Fezziwig, for instance. Yikes.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was with their imperial offerings (there were two). Something 'depths' and third voyage. Ugh.

You know what it was like for me? It was like hearing Jason Statham, Brendan Gleason, and Ian Mcshane were gonna be in a new film noir set in London directed by Guy Ritchie....

But it sucked.

« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2012, 11:15:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I can't tell you how disappointed I was with their imperial offerings (there were two). Something 'depths' and third voyage. Ugh.

You know what it was like for me? It was like hearing Jason Statham, Brendan Gleason, and Ian Mcshane were gonna be in a new film noir set in London directed by Guy Ritchie....

But it sucked.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/77234

A cross between a Baltic and an IPA?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/74548

A DIPA that failed the IP test? Inconceivable.

Just did a little internet research, and it looks like the sampler includes Octoberfest, Black Lager, Boston Lager, Irish Red, a pumpkin ale, and a rauschbier. Interested in trying those last two, for sure.

[Edit: ah, that might be last year's sampler.]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:09:13 AM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #369 on: September 10, 2012, 11:43:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'd say they're both a 3, but that's considering Sam Adams is basically the Yankees of 'microbrews', when they hit you with a big beer, I expect to be wowed. I liked their latitude 48 IPA well enough, but these were..meh.

Don't get me wrong; the IPA sampler left me satisfied, just nothing more.

A DIPA should be like what I expect fistfighting with Natalie Portman is like; still a punch in the face, with nothing held back, with more wallop than you're ready for, but still a punch in the face youd take a thousand times more.

The Dark Depths descriptiTion is much the same. You're gonna cross a big porter with an IPA? Why content yourself with a single? Go for the homerun.

« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

But it sucked.

I gotta say that given the price point ($7 bomber), I was fairly impressed with Third Voyage.  Thought it was close enough to some other DIPAs I've had that were $10 or $11 for a 23 oz bottle.  Like you said, nothing spectacular, but good enough for me.

In my opinion, for an Imperial IPA I'd take Avery's Maharaja over anything else right now.

« Reply #371 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:24 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Anybody have any good suggestions for fall beers?

My standard for years has been Sam octoberfest but getting a little old. Im also not a huge pumpkin guy, plus I have enough friends and my gf always having a dec amount avail anyway.

Im in Boston so something new englandy would be preferred.

Any good bbc beers? Im literally a fan of every kind of beer so hit me with what you got. I feel like I've had a good bbc porter in the past but not to familiar with their products

« Reply #372 on: September 11, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

My standard for years has been Sam octoberfest but getting a little old. Im also not a huge pumpkin guy, plus I have enough friends and my gf always having a dec amount avail anyway.

Any good bbc beers? Im literally a fan of every kind of beer so hit me with what you got. I feel like I've had a good bbc porter in the past but not to familiar with their products

I gave this a shot last time I was in Maine and didn't regret it in the least:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/62/1630

(Its Geary's HSA)

« Reply #373 on: September 11, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

I gave this a shot last time I was in Maine and didn't regret it in the least:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/62/1630

(Its Geary's HSA)

Nice, heading up to Maine Sunday for wedding stuff and now I will pick up a 12 of that.

I think ive only had their pale ale and summer ale but looking forward to.this

« Reply #374 on: September 11, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.