Author Topic: Stein: Cavs trying to assemble a multi-team deal that lands Butler in Cleveland  (Read 24959 times)

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
It makes Cleveland a much better defensive team and much more versatile. They can already score. Cleveland's biggest need is premeter defending and Butler addresses that

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
It makes Cleveland a much better defensive team and much more versatile. They can already score. Cleveland's biggest need is premeter defending and Butler addresses that

Butler disappeared in game 7 vs Celts. I am not a big Butler fan but I honestly think this would really hurt Cleveland in rebounding. I just don't think that even if you consider it an upgrade over Love for the Cavs that he could make any difference alone vs. GSW. I think Love could help us MORE than a Butler could help us. All salaries aside as I can't keep up with that player for player Love would benefit us more than Butler benefits Cleveland IMO.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Love would flourish under Stevens. Imagine Kelly Olynyk...but good!

Seriously he might score 25ppg with us. Still I'd rather just get Griffin or Hayward and not give up an asset other than capspace

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Butler disappeared in game 7 vs Celts. I am not a big Butler fan but I honestly think this would really hurt Cleveland in rebounding. I just don't think that even if you consider it an upgrade over Love for the Cavs that he could make any difference alone vs. GSW. I think Love could help us MORE than a Butler could help us. All salaries aside as I can't keep up with that player for player Love would benefit us more than Butler benefits Cleveland IMO.

Defensively he's an enormous upgrade and another offensive weapon on the wing.
But yeah, mainly it's because Durant won't be able to take plays off when Lebron is resting.
They need a guy who can score and defend Durant that isn't Lebron.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Kinda surprised we're not speculating wildly about Love ending up here in a 3 team deal where #3 goes to Chicago and Butler to Cleveland. We know Danny likes him after all.
I would be surprised if Ainge did do a deal with Cleveland. Unless Love made the C's significantly better, why would he help our biggest competition get better?

I don't think Danny approaches trades that way, he focuses on building the team he wants and letting everyone else worry about theirs.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Thompson and James are both plus rebounders for their position.  I think Thompson would go from 9 to 11 or 12 without Love and make up a lot of the difference you are talking about. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bulls/sources-bulls-are-actively-shopping-jimmy-butler-prior-nba-draft-0?amp

coming down to celtics and cavs
celtics already said no 3rd pick for butler?

The Bulls were rebuffed on an offer to the Celtics for the third pick straight-up, but bringing the Cavaliers to the table could increase the quality of offers for Butler, who would be eligible for a deal in the $40 million range annually if he makes another All-NBA team next season.

One would think the Bulls' reluctance at paying a contract that large on a team that will continue to be in the middle of the draft plays a part in their decision.

As one league executive texted last night, "It's either Boston or Cleveland but he's going."

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-bulls/sources-bulls-are-actively-shopping-jimmy-butler-prior-nba-draft-0?amp

coming down to celtics and cavs
celtics already said no 3rd pick for butler?

The Bulls were rebuffed on an offer to the Celtics for the third pick straight-up, but bringing the Cavaliers to the table could increase the quality of offers for Butler, who would be eligible for a deal in the $40 million range annually if he makes another All-NBA team next season.

One would think the Bulls' reluctance at paying a contract that large on a team that will continue to be in the middle of the draft plays a part in their decision.

As one league executive texted last night, "It's either Boston or Cleveland but he's going."

I'm really NOT interested in any three team deal between BOS-CLE-CHI, where we have to give up #3 and some more assets for Kevin Freakin' Love, while the Cavaliers essentially only have to swap Love for Butler...  >:(

EDIT: Oh my bad, didn't read the 2nd part of that post haha. Hmm if they rebuffed #3 for Butler straight up.. then that's strange actually. Maybe Ainge is waiting it out, seeing other players and all. Draft still a good 2 days away.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I still think the Cavs stuff is to get Boston's attention. Danny not giving the 3rd straight up for Butler is interesting. Feel like that would be easy and you keep everything else...

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
That's interesting if true. Why would the C's turn down Butler for the third pick?

Also Butler made the All NBA team? He's top 20 but??

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Has to be more to this. Bulls sound very desperate. I wonder what Danny is trying to do with pick 3

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
i am wondering if celtics are trying to use 3rd pick and others for porzingus
and the other picks for butler

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I'm confused. Some are saying that Chicago turned down an offer of Butler for 3 straight up. But the way I read it was that Boston turned that offer down, which is confusing if so.

If Boston did turn it down, it must be that they're working on something a bit bigger at the moment.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
i am wondering if celtics are trying to use 3rd pick and others for porzingus
and the other picks for butler
butler wants to go to the cavs. Not celtics

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm confused. Some are saying that Chicago turned down an offer of Butler for 3 straight up. But the way I read it was that Boston turned that offer down, which is confusing if so.

If Boston did turn it down, it must be that they're working on something a bit bigger at the moment.

Ainge doin' Ainge thangs.

Probably trying to get Chicago to settle for a package of Zeller's non-guaranteed, and 2021 2nd round pick, and Brian Scalabrine's old jock strap.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman