Author Topic: Hayward Broken Hand  (Read 37248 times)

Re: Hayward Broken Hand
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2019, 10:07:46 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
So.... who starts in his place? Smart or more of a traditional power forward, G Will?

I'd be amazed if if wasn't Smart.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Longtime Hayward fan here.  The silver lining to this mess is that it opens up minutes for Jaylen Brown.  Remember that a Jaylen Brown/Jason Tatum led team made game 7 of the eastern conference finals with Terry Rozier at point guard two seasons ago.
I don’t like that silver lining for the same reason I’m concerned about reintegrating Hayward when he returns.

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
So.... who starts in his place? Smart or more of a traditional power forward, G WilIl?
I’d guess smart, which would leave our bench rather thin.

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2019, 10:18:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So.... who starts in his place? Smart or more of a traditional power forward, G WilIl?

As I said earlier, it won’t look much different from when Brown was out, except that Hayward will be out this time.  Stevens has done a good job of making sure that 1-2 of the top 4 (including Smart, minus an injured Hayward or Brown) is always on the floor with the bench to keep things from getting out of hand.

Hopefully the continued minutes allows Green or Edwards to find enough comfort in the NBA to alleviate some of the scoring load that the starters have been taking when paired with the bench, and keep that comfort for when we’re at full strength.  And hopefully Kanter returns soon.  It’d be nice to have someone who’s averaged nearly 20 points per 36 over his first 8 seasons available off the bench.

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Biggest concern with Hayward's absence is losing their best overall ball handler/paly maker. None of the other wings can really do what Hayward does. Worried the offense could take a step back.

If Smart will be starting, I'm very worried about the bench performance. C's statistically have one the worst bench units in the NBA currently and get basically no production from that unit. Really hope Kanter gets back soon to help bolster that unit. They will need his scoring during the time Hayward is out.

« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2019, 10:38:50 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The silver lining is that this quickens the further development of Brown, Tatum, and the young first year players. When Hayward comes back he's greeted with a better team than he left, just in time to settle back in to the rotation and head for the remainder of the season and the playoffs. (fingers crossed)

A broken left hand shouldn't be anywhere near the ankle injury that he went through season before last.

I have to think like this, or sulk around for the remained of the season.

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2019, 10:42:00 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

As I said earlier, it won’t look much different from when Brown was out, except that Hayward will be out this time.  Stevens has done a good job of making sure that 1-2 of the top 4 (including Smart, minus an injured Hayward or Brown) is always on the floor with the bench to keep things from getting out of hand.

Hopefully the continued minutes allows Green or Edwards to find enough comfort in the NBA to alleviate some of the scoring load that the starters have been taking when paired with the bench, and keep that comfort for when we’re at full strength.  And hopefully Kanter returns soon.  It’d be nice to have someone who’s averaged nearly 20 points per 36 over his first 8 seasons available off the bench.
Yes, but it’s one thing to be out three games.  It’s another to be out 20.  And, Hayward might actually be missed more in general than brown.

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yes, but it’s one thing to be out three games.  It’s another to be out 20.  And, Hayward might actually be missed more in general than brown.

The one thing Hayward brings more than Brown or Tatum is playmaking. While Brown and Tatum I think have made strides in that area they still arent nearly at the level that Hayward is. So if there's one thing I'll be watching its how the C's divvy up those responsibilities. Will they simply lean more on Kemba/Smart, play more Wanamaker, or let Brown and Tatum see if they can carry that load?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:52:09 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

The one thing Hayward brings more than Brown or Tatum is playmaking. While Brown and Tatum I think have made strides in that area they still arent nearly at the level that Hayward is. So if there's one thing I'll be watching its how the C's divvy up those responsibilities. Will they simply lean more on Kemba/Smart, play more Wanamaker, or let Brown and Tatum see if they can carry that load?

Healthy Hayward is a handful for the hother team!!   ;D

I haven't had this much fun as a C's fan since IT was draining daggers.  But this is even better, because we have more going on talent-wise.  Rob, Javonte, Brown, Tatum, Kemba, especially Rob, made that game scintillating!!

Back to Hayward...he is nearly impossible to deal with due to size and passing skill.  He will find the right guy....amazing. 

When Kyrie was first traded for, I was against it, because I wanted to see Hayward be the focal point distributing.  But before this turns into an anti-Kyrie rant, I'll just say that if Gordon hadn't hurt his leg, the team that year may have had a shot at the title.  Which is how I now feel about the current team.

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2019, 11:37:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Hayward would have bee good defensive matchup vs Luka Monday. Wonder who will cover him —Smart or Brown?

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2019, 11:49:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If he has surgery on Monday, my guess is by Wednesday or Thursday he will be running and in a week he will be shooting all be it with a cast on his left hand. He will be in great shape when he returns and I expect he will have little problems integrating right back into the starting lineup.

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Whether it's 3 months (God Forbid) or just 4-6 weeks I'm not worried.

This team has a much different vibe this year - the TEAM will step up and cover for GH.

Javonte Green has been IMPRESSIVE - dude is aggressive offensively.

Lob Williams is getting better and making his presence felt. The new Human Eraser.

Our three-headed monster of Kemba, JB and Jayson will make up for much of GH's production, temporarily.

Smart will be Smart...he is proving that that last year was NO fluke...stalwart defender, good distributor and all-around IMO this team's KG. He is increasingly a threat to hit threes as well.

Coach Stevens will continue to prove his mettle - getting the most from the ENTIRE team and this year he isn't encumbered by the mental clutter......

I am a TON more optimistic THIS time around than 2 years ago for GH. He probably won't make the ASG this year but he will certainly help us down the stretch......

This team is going places THIS YEAR - I firmly believe it and guarantee it.

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Hayward would have bee good defensive matchup vs Luka Monday. Wonder who will cover him —Smart or Brown?

Whomever it is, I expect them to be ready.

The modern day Larry Bird is no joke and the Real Deal. All I want him to do at this point is choke LeBron (like Larry did to Dr. J) ;D and I'm ready to crown him as Larry Doncic or Luka Bird.

« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2019, 02:55:03 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It sucks that he got his hand broken by Aldridge on a dirty play.

The only fortunate thing is that it is his non shooting hand.

It is possible that if he gets the surgery, they could put a cast on the hand and he might be able to return sooner.  Though I dunno if you risk that and just make him sit until the hand is fully healthy.

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Typically Brown guards our toughest offensive matchups.  His extra length also makes sense since Luka is 6'7.