Author Topic: Accidentally went to the Bruins game last night...  (Read 4665 times)

Accidentally went to the Bruins game last night...
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Alright, here's the set-up.  I live in Durham, North Carolina and the circus is coming to town next week.  I've got 2 kids, one of which is 2 years old, and Barnum and Bailey sent us a ticket voucher when he was born so he could be a circus fan for life, or some marketing garbage like that.  The upshot is that we could get him a free ticket to his first circus, but we had to go directly to the RBC center in order for it to work.

So, the RBC center closes at 6.  I snuck out of work early and rode with my family out to the center to get the circus tickets.  As we're pulling up right at 6, we notice there is traffic everywhere and brilliantly we deduce there must be a hockey game going on.  Mind you, I don't watch hockey...never been my thing.  Anyway, so we get special permission from all the security guards to duck around the traffic and into the main parking lot so we can go to the box office to get our circus tickets.  And while we're in line, this lady walks up to us and says she can't go to the game, but she has 4 tickets, and she just gives them to us (TP for her, whoever she was).

Anyway, out of the blue I find myself seated at my first ever NHL game.  I had no idea who the Hurricanes were playing, but the tickets tell me it's the Bruins.  Once we got to the seats we had to ask the folks around us who the good players were on each team, but you know the funny thing?

It was FUN!

I don't even watch hockey, but it was an easy sport to follow live and the atmosphere is kicks.  Plus, we had really good seats just a few rows off the ice.  Even my wife and 4-year old daughter loved it, especially when goals were scored. 

Ironically, the game that happened by accident could turn into a habit, as I could actually see myself going to more hockey games in the future.

NEVER thought I'd ever type anything like that last sentence...

Re: Accidentally went to the Bruins game last night...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hockey live is pretty awesome.  Been to a fair share of Bruins and BC hockey over the years.  Want to make it to my first Blackhawks game at some point later this season.  Tix are tough as heck to get.

The biggest issue is that the atmosphere doesn't translate well at all to television.  However, in person, hockey is a great sport to catch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:09:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hockey is an amazing sport to watch live.  Major props to the kindness of strangers, too. 

I missed the game, but it looks like you saw a good one.  Bergeron is on fire right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:10:23 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Wow, talk about luck! I'm not a big hockey fan either.  I'm glad you're family had a great time. tp for sharing your great story. 8)
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
So... are you going to the circus or not?
 ;D

p.s. Hope is a solei kind of thing i hate caged animals, but i respect preferences
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 10:25:12 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Hockey is an amazing sport live. It is so tough to tell how fast the game really is until you see the players in person.

When the cameras follow the skaters on TV it deceives the viewers. Kind of like how auto racing looks slow on TV until you get to the track. Yes. I am a NASCAR fan (phew that felt good).

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
 ;D

p.s. Hope is a solei kind of thing i hate caged animals, but i respect preferences

Yep, we'll be there.  Ironically, in seats not that far from where we sat at the hockey game.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Alright, here's the set-up.  I live in Durham, North Carolina and the circus is coming to town next week.  I've got 2 kids, one of which is 2 years old, and Barnum and Bailey sent us a ticket voucher when he was born so he could be a circus fan for life, or some marketing garbage like that.  The upshot is that we could get him a free ticket to his first circus, but we had to go directly to the RBC center in order for it to work.

So, the RBC center closes at 6.  I snuck out of work early and rode with my family out to the center to get the circus tickets.  As we're pulling up right at 6, we notice there is traffic everywhere and brilliantly we deduce there must be a hockey game going on.  Mind you, I don't watch hockey...never been my thing.  Anyway, so we get special permission from all the security guards to duck around the traffic and into the main parking lot so we can go to the box office to get our circus tickets.  And while we're in line, this lady walks up to us and says she can't go to the game, but she has 4 tickets, and she just gives them to us (TP for her, whoever she was).

Anyway, out of the blue I find myself seated at my first ever NHL game.  I had no idea who the Hurricanes were playing, but the tickets tell me it's the Bruins.  Once we got to the seats we had to ask the folks around us who the good players were on each team, but you know the funny thing?

It was FUN!

I don't even watch hockey, but it was an easy sport to follow live and the atmosphere is kicks.  Plus, we had really good seats just a few rows off the ice.  Even my wife and 4-year old daughter loved it, especially when goals were scored. 

Ironically, the game that happened by accident could turn into a habit, as I could actually see myself going to more hockey games in the future.

NEVER thought I'd ever type anything like that last sentence...

That's a great story!  Nice of that woman to give you the tix.  Sort of strange that she was at the stadium if she couldn't go (she must have been planning to go then got an important phone call and had to leave in a hurry or something...).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Lucky.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
This is the year see a Bruins game too, especially if you're a fan of hockey fights, bruins got some beasts on the team this year. Nothing better than going to a hockey game and watching milan lucic drop some dude on the ice.

I had a boss of mine give me front row tickets right behind the visiting goal for a bruins game one time vs the devils. There were 3 fights in the game, one of them happened RIGHT in front of my seats, like 1:30 into the game....it was epic.
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
 ;D

I prefer caged clowns
When you love life, life loves you right back