Author Topic: Jeff Green into the Starting Lineup  (Read 6559 times)

Re: Jeff Green into the Starting Lineup
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 08:03:49 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Since when do you get awarded a starters role from being inconsistent off the bench tho lol.
Since we invested in JG for the future and we need that investment to pay dividends.  We 100% need Green to play well.  Unfortunately, the "trade Green for JSmoove" plan isn't gonna happen.  If Jeff can't get going, we're toast.  The Celtics need to do everything they can to allow JG to thrive.  That includes taking risks, like moving Pierce to the bench.

I am aware that it will cost us games in the short term, but without Green as a significant contributor we are not even close to winning a championship, so I'll sacrifice some wins if it is what Jeff needs to consistently contribute.

Agree. I have always believed before the current season started that the only way for us to get deep into the playoffs and have success (Banner 18?) is Jeff Green getting past the performance (or just get at the level of play) of PP. Other contributions would come from Melo's intimidating presence in the lane even only for an all-important play of 5 minutes (since there will be plays where his size and speed is needed - ala Bynum blueprint) and Bradley coming out with a very good to excellent ball handling and assisting performance.

If PP couldn't be enticed to come off from the bench then Doc could at least bring him out early - say, 5 minutes into the game - after he starts fast and quick and let Jeff bring in more energy and athleticism for the most part of every quarter. PP's efficiency could come much better  in lesser time than what he has been doing recently. Think of LeQueen, Carmelo, KD, Gay, Granger and even MWP. They will wear him down early and that is a reality that should be addressed soon.

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would like to see Wilcox start and Bass come off the bench.   It gives Rondo someone to run with, gives us more size and arguably more pop off the bench when Mr. Bass comes in with his jumper.

As for Green over PP forget about it.  Not going to happen.   The Captain sits for no one....

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 08:16:38 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I would like to see Wilcox start and Bass come off the bench.   It gives Rondo someone to run with, gives us more size and arguably more pop off the bench when Mr. Bass comes in with his jumper.

As for Green over PP forget about it.  Not going to happen.   The Captain sits for no one....

That's why i think it would be good to trade PP. Him and JG are too good to come off the bench or split time at SF. i would package him in a deal for a josh smith or horford to get bigger. move JG to small forward

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
To the OP I give you a TP for thinking out of the box. I have never seen basketball as a starter bench proposition. I look at the teams as 12 on 12. If bringing your best player off the bench in some games causes problems for the opponent that is what you should do

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've been saying since before the season... I think starting Jeff Green at his natural Sf and Pierce at SG makes sense.  Let's trade a few of our shooting guards for a legit big (Gortat, Smith, Big Al, Varejao... whatever) and let's trot out PG - Rondo, SG - Pierce, SF - Green, Big 1 - KG, Big 2 - TBD...

Green is our 4th best player right now.  He needs a bigger role.

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2012, 09:11:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I can't agree with Jeff Green replacing Pierce but I wouldn't mind giving Green a try at the four for Bass.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Celtics still need Pierce and his offense in the starting lineup.

Not to mention his superior defense and passing. 

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We could slide Jeff into the SF and Pierce to the SG.
Pierce lives for the match ups against the Elite SF's though I'd have Pierce and Green swapping on certain SF's and SG's depending on the match ups.

Have no problem with giving him a go, but I can't see Pierce being a 6th man. He's at his best when he has a challenge and a 1v1 match up. Ie: Durant the other night or Melo in New York, Lebron in Miami.
He just plays his best when given the biggest challenge.
So funny to watch him school Sefalosha last night- he just destroyed him with every first step.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2012, 11:15:26 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I would support green starting at the 4 and Bass and his 39% jump shooting being planted on the bench at the fifth big.

If you're a one dimensional player like Bass, and your one dimension isn't working, you are useless.  Not that Green is scorching the nets, hitting only 35% of his jumpers, but he's got more of a well rounded game than Bass. 

Or even better, wait till January 15th, and ship them both out of town for someone more useful and tougher. 

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2012, 11:30:18 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I've been saying since before the season... I think starting Jeff Green at his natural Sf and Pierce at SG makes sense.  Let's trade a few of our shooting guards for a legit big (Gortat, Smith, Big Al, Varejao... whatever) and let's trot out PG - Rondo, SG - Pierce, SF - Green, Big 1 - KG, Big 2 - TBD...

Rondo pierce KG and terry are all playing better than Green. At best green is the 5th best.

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2012, 11:38:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Green's play has not been consistent, some games he is fourth best others seventh or worse.

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 12:14:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Just watched the game on tape.  This was Jeffs all around best game of the year.  Both he and Pierce made huge impact for the win.

Far as starting , I think its hard to take away Pauls starting spot , he is still THE TRUTH and has earned it..  So , I think its going be in Doc's hands to QUICKLY gage Pauls play & energy on a nightly basis , substiute Green in ASAP .  I do think Green seems to play better , once he gets going,  off the bench he doesn't pick up on the flow of the game as good as Bass or Wilcox.

Green plays well with Rondo and Wilcox . The more movement the better. 

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 01:02:13 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Green's play has not been consistent, some games he is fourth best others seventh or worse.
It is much harder being consistent coming off the bench.
i am sure any our big 3 production will would have been worse coming of the bench

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2012, 01:47:31 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
People who say he can't play the 4 are wrong. He can play the 4 if he gets the right coaching. He will need to be a slashing 4 like Melo or Durant have been. We'll give up a little on the defensive end because he'll get bullied but we have a pretty great team defense and a couple of guys on the bench to shore up if things get out of hand.

According to the plentiful numberical evidence available, you're wrong. Jeff Green is a terrible starting 4.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2012, 03:54:28 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Rondo pierce KG and terry are all playing better than Green. At best green is the 5th best.
Terry's a good shooter off the bench, but Jeff Green is a better player.  Green is the 4th best player on this team... he needs a bigger role to show it.