Author Topic: The idea of resigning Rozier and pencil him back as starter  (Read 11197 times)

Re: The idea of resigning Rozier and pencil him back as starter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 01:45:47 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Plan B or C

That 2017-2018 team was close but no cigar.  It showed promise, making it all the way to the ECF, game 7....

Kyrie likely is out unless Danny does some drastic lineup changes, trades/overpays for AD and even boots CBS.  So unlikely he chooses this path

Trading for Beal could be a possibility but could be tricky...depending on what the Wizards are looking for in return

So basically, this would mean to continue with what you have and at least move forward with that 2017-2018 playoff squad with hopefully Horford staying and Hayward inching closer back to his all star form.... such unit can try to make it back to the ECF

Resign Rozier to a similar deal Smart received ...pencil him as starter and send Smart back to coming off the bench

Starting lineup

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Hayward
Rozier

Bench
Williams
Baynes
Semi
Smart
FA singing
2-3 draft picks

* Theis, Wannamaker, Morris contracts not renewed
* Yabusele traded

Hate it or love it fellas this will be your team next year unless Gordon gets traded. I dislike the roster because if Tatum his here I want him at the SF because I hate Tatum at PF. If that’s the case we have a huge hole at either PF OR C (assuming Horford comes back).

Even if Hayward was at 100% he does not mix with that line up at all. We don’t have the cap flexibility to do anything, idk how but we have somehow lost the Cleveland trade lol. I absolutely did not see that coming but it’s the karma we deserve I guess.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If we get the number 9 pick from Memphis this year, we could get a solid prospect

Coby White might be available

likely White won't be ready to make an impact (even if the pick is a hit) ... 2 years away

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If Kyrie leaves then keeping Rozier is obvious, even if you don't see him as a long term fit

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Kyrie leaves then keeping Rozier is obvious, even if you don't see him as a long term fit

I agree

don't know if I could stomach a semi/full blown rebuild

Smart is not a starting calibre PG

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 02:35:59 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Seriously, if there’s one thing to get me to stop watching Celtics basketball, this may be it. Rozier is just awful, and he solidified his awfulness with his selfish rant after game five.

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 02:36:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'd be OK with this and I don't think it would necessitate Marcus Smart money.  It would be a fun team to root for again, hopefully he'd be signed to a contract that is tradeable if needed, and also hopefully he'd rebuild some value so he'd become an actual trade asset giving us more options in improving our roster.

I know people are saying the ECF has gotten better and they are correct.  But I don't think 23-year-old Rozier, 21-year-old Brown, and 19-year-old Tatum hit their career ceilings in the 2018 playoffs.  I think they had setbacks with Kyrie & Gordon back in the lineup this past season, but we would see a future Celtics team certainly better than the 2018 ECF team if that was our core 1-3 going forward.  Yes other teams are better too, but I think we'll be right up competing with them.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I agree

This year:
http://bkref.com/tiny/slW5i

Last Year:
http://bkref.com/tiny/Iils6

If you don't think Marcus is starting PG, then I don't think you should believe Terry is either.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd be OK with this and I don't think it would necessitate Marcus Smart money.  It would be a fun team to root for again, hopefully he'd be signed to a contract that is tradeable if needed, and also hopefully he'd rebuild some value so he'd become an actual trade asset giving us more options in improving our roster.

I know people are saying the ECF has gotten better and they are correct.  But I don't think 23-year-old Rozier, 21-year-old Brown, and 19-year-old Tatum hit their career ceilings in the 2018 playoffs.  I think they had setbacks with Kyrie & Gordon back in the lineup this past season, but we would see a future Celtics team certainly better than the 2018 ECF team if that was our core 1-3 going forward.  Yes other teams are better too, but I think we'll be right up competing with them.
The problem is that by far our best player in the 2017-2018 playoffs is almost certainly going to be worse, and that's if we can retain him as he is also a FA.

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 02:52:47 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

The problem is that by far our best player in the 2017-2018 playoffs is almost certainly going to be worse, and that's if we can retain him as he is also a FA.
That's a very good point.  If he were to leave, I do think we've have some decent roster flexibility & options along with some reasonable hope for unrealized potential to be fulfilled.  If he stays, I look forward to watching that team for next season with a lot of options on the board for us the following offseason like potentially a lot of cap space opening up (esp if Hayward could be convinced to opt out and sign more years less per annum or traded).  Which is why overall, I'm OK with this route.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 03:12:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Plan B or C

That 2017-2018 team was close but no cigar.  It showed promise, making it all the way to the ECF, game 7....

Kyrie likely is out unless Danny does some drastic lineup changes, trades/overpays for AD and even boots CBS.  So unlikely he chooses this path

Trading for Beal could be a possibility but could be tricky...depending on what the Wizards are looking for in return

So basically, this would mean to continue with what you have and at least move forward with that 2017-2018 playoff squad with hopefully Horford staying and Hayward inching closer back to his all star form.... such unit can try to make it back to the ECF

Resign Rozier to a similar deal Smart received ...pencil him as starter and send Smart back to coming off the bench

Starting lineup

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Hayward
Rozier

Bench
Williams
Baynes
Semi
Smart
FA singing
2-3 draft picks

* Theis, Wannamaker, Morris contracts not renewed
* Yabusele traded

No thanks.

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 03:13:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I agree

I think Smart would be a better starting PG than Rozier.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 06:08:44 PM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
It would take a perfect storm of uncanny events for Rozier to remain with the team. His interviews and body language said it all. He won't be back. I'm not so down on Rozier as so many are on this forum. Rozier has to take some of the blame for his nightmarish season. However, it's easy to understand that Irving's off the court antics and Stevens failing to define roles exacerbated the turmoil the Celts experienced throughout the year. I predict Rozier will have a very good year next year... with another team. His points will increase significantly; assists will be up and his defense will be more consistent. I just hope Irving walks, we lose out on trading for AD, we build around our young core, with the addition of this year's draft picks and Williams makes a big leap forward next year. Getting someone like Beal for a reasonable cost would also be a huge plus.

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If KI leaves, then our point guard situation becomes one of the weakest in the entire league. Ainge does not generally give away assets and since Rozier is unlikely to get more than $10 million/year, I think that he will match.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:28:16 AM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

In hindsight can you imagine the giant chip on Roziers shoulders if we bring him back next year? He’s going to come back p---ed and hyped up! Not only did he have to ride backseat just to not go to the same place he took the Celtics, but to also have to take a pay cut because of it?

Rozier May show his azz off next season y’all better watch out. The rivalry of the Knicks and Celtics will be epic. The rivalry of whoever AD goes and the Celtics will be epic. You know how hard Tatum and Brown are going to work if Kyrie gone and everyone is writing them off? I say if we are going to go young, then do it. Cash in on Hayward for as many assets as you can and find a Center or PF either through draft or MLE.

Rozier/Smart
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Rob 3

At least we will be exciting unlike this season.

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 07:11:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Please.

Stop.

I mean, just no.

Not after this year and finding out he was playing only for himself and his next contract this year and not for the team. He was dismal all year.

I was a big Rozier supporter until this year. I expected more of him. He sucked 95% of the time. He needs to go.

Also, he doesn't want to come back because even without Kyrie, Rozier is a bench player as Smart and Brown would be the starters. Nah, Rozier will sign somewhere where he will start and get to be "the man"(no, not Becky Lynch).