Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 120353 times)

Re: Here we go..Leonard wants out of SA...
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I still think George will end up in Philly.

Lakers will need to trade Lonzo because that's a circus you don't need when you're contending.

I'd be interested to see if they can get Portland to consider trading Dame for Lonzo+Kuzma.

I am pretty surprised by this take. George says he wants to go to LA years ago, they actually get good and will have a max slot and he moves the furthest possible spot from his hometown?

That would be a head scratcher.

If he really doesn't care about basketball and just wants to be in LA then cool.  If the Lakers already have Kawhi and LeBron, what role is there for George?  He'd be the 3rd option.

He could go to Philly and make a huge difference for them.  Also, with LeBron out of the conference he would have a great shot at making the Finals.

In the West, even if the Lakers have Kawhi, Bron, and PG, they'd be one of three superteams out there. 

Philly makes a lot more sense for PG from a basketball standpoint.  I guess it depends how much he just wants a fun LA lifestyle and doesn't care if he's the 3rd option with a lower chance of actually making the Finals.

Why would George be the third option? I think he would be the second option and Leonard would be the third. Also why would George be a better option in Philly? Embiid took 17 shots per 30 minutes last year and Simmons obviously has the ball a ton.

Considering he said he wanted to go LA when they were horrible and didn't have any contract space, it obviously is pretty important to him.

You may be right about his priorities.

As for the third option thing, to me he's less talented offensively than LeBron (obviously) or Kawhi.  Both of those guys have shown an ability to carry a team offensively individually.  George has not.

In Philly, I think George would be ahead of Ben Simmons in the offensive hierarchy, and it would depend on the matchup as to whether he or Embiid got more shots.  Simmons would be a facilitator, especially in the halfcourt.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2018, 03:05:23 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
 40s41 seconds ago
More
Indiana had little interest in Paul George trade w/ Lakers -- and that'll be case for Spurs too. Boston gives Spurs best building blocks of assets -- one of young forwards (likely Jaylen Brown), its own 18 pick/19 protected Kings pick, etc. Lonzo to Spurs? Don't hold your breath.

So this would have to get done sooner than later if the Spurs want something out of this draft

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Boston, like usual, has the best pieces to deal.

I would prefer not making the deal but if I had to I keep Tatum and deal Brown with the 2019 Kings pick

No, KL's value should go down after their first attempt in February trade deadline. And because of what KL is demanding of his team. Brown/Rozier/LAC pick, get it done if anything.

Leonard wanting out means that SA will take less in a deal, but the price will be high based on how many teams want him. If the Lakers are willing to go all in (and it seems like they are), the only way we get him is by out bidding them. That will take more than Brown, Rozier, and a couple of seconds (which that pick will likely turn into)

Brown and the Kings Pick would probably just be the start

The Lakers are almost certainly going to try to attach Luol Deng’s terrible contract to a deal.  That greatly lowers the value of what they can offer, as taking on the contract hampers the Spurs financial flexibility for multiple seasons..

Also, the Clippers pick only turns into one 2nd.  Sad.

It just turns into one 2nd? [dang], that's rough.

The Lakers may have to deal Deng separately (giving up a first or young player to do so). That would make harder to match salaries, but it would give them the best chance to re-sign guys/sign FAs before the Leonard deal adds salary (it would require them sending out Ball+Ingram+2 low salaries for Leonard, though).

And [dang], I just looked at the Lakers' cap space, and last year is a graveyard of dead money. Like $11.5 million on guys that didn't end the season with them
I'm bitter.

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Spurs wont trade him to a West team..i think Boston or Philly
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If we get Kawhi, what are the chances he'll resign..? I'm afraid both Kyrie and Kawhi would leave, and we would be screwed.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2018, 03:14:09 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If we get Kawhi, what are the chances he'll resign..? I'm afraid both Kyrie and Kawhi would leave, and we would be screwed.

0% chance he resigns (unless the injury is worse than we thought  ;D

As for him and Kyrie resigning, I think a big 4 of Kawhi/Kyrie/Hayward/Horford would be enough to get them to stay. Winning is a powerful aphrodisiac, and if the Lakers don't get Lebron they become a lot less attractive (or they could get Lebron and George but then have no cap space next summer, making it not an option)

A bigger market doesn't help much if you're on a perennial loser
I'm bitter.

« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

As for him and Kyrie resigning, I think a big 4 of Kawhi/Kyrie/Hayward/Horford would be enough to get them to stay. Winning is a powerful aphrodisiac, and if the Lakers don't get Lebron they become a lot less attractive (or they could get Lebron and George but then have no cap space next summer, making it not an option)

Would be a on great team poised to run the East for years. I would be more concerned about Leonard. I think the craziness about Kyrie is a bunch of nothing.

« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
So if Boston is going all in for Leonard, I can assume the James to Boston BS is dead....

« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2018, 03:23:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Adam Kaufman

Verified account

@AdamMKaufman
 49s50 seconds ago
More
According to @sam_amick, the #Celtics “are expected to make a strong push” for Kawhi Leonard.
Ainge is a mad man

« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Add Tatum and its a Big 5—I dont want to trade Brown though and rumor was Leonard also has a thing for NY as does Kyrie—-trade our future and watch both leave for Knicks in 19—-would be brutal—Risking everything for one year with no guarantee is beyond bold—-it borders on a bad risk to take

« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Is he healthy?  That is the big question for me.

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Adam Kaufman

Verified account

@AdamMKaufman
 49s50 seconds ago
More
According to @sam_amick, the #Celtics “are expected to make a strong push” for Kawhi Leonard.
Ainge is a mad man

What would Pop want the most...what would he actually get.?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Just keep him and Lebron away from Philly. Boston in a great spot..either they land him or he goes to the Lakers with LBJ to battle the Warriors.

A win win for Boston.

« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Kevin O'Connor

Verified account

@KevinOConnorNBA
 51s52 seconds ago
More
Expect the the Sixers, Celtics, Lakers and Clippers to be the main four teams pursuing Kawhi Leonard, per sources. Teams with top picks could always jump into the sweepstakes, but the risk would be significant considering Leonard has just one more season left on his contract.

0 replies 2 retweets 0 likes

We can dream, but one of his biggest beefs was his shoe contract being small from being in a small market. For selling shoes he is not going to think Boston or Philly has a chance of changing that.

Kawhi will not have to worry about that with Boston. The Celtics will be a staple for nationally televised games, and will thus be at the forefront on the minds of NBA fans. If Kawhi is on a young team like Boston, then any sneaker company would be crazy to not offer him a big contract. Plus, San Antonio has a "boring" stigma attached to the team, and I don't think Boston has that, especially with having a player like Irving.

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It was reported months ago that Kawhi was upset that lesser players get bigger shoe deals than he does.  So, he wants exposure.

Under those circumstances, LA and NYK make sense, even if I'd argue that winning is the best exposure.
It has nothing to do with city with Leonard, it is him.  He is just a boring quiet player.  Sure, he probably gets a bigger deal in NY or LA, but he still won't get as big as he could because of his personality.  Westbrook has done just fine in Oklahoma City.  James did just fine in Cleveland.  etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip