Author Topic: Donaghy says the league fixed 2002 playoff series  (Read 18729 times)

Re: Donaghy says the league fixed 2002 playoff series
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 05:43:48 PM »

Offline Kings Fan

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
 I love how people are asking for evidence and whatnot. Everyone who saw that game was a witness to a crime being committed. I'm glad it's getting attention again because it should never be forgotten.

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 10:10:36 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i believe the guy. i've been suspicious about stern/nba for a long long time now.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Count me in the group that believes TD too - I actually have a theory of much wider scope on this topic that I may type up and post in the forums.

I'm worried the NBA will have me off'd though. ;D
God bless and good night!

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 10:27:35 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I know one thing: if I was trying to go on a vendetta claiming that the Stern has fixed games, I'd refer that Kings vs. Lakers game 6. And there's nothing new about the Rockets/Mavs affair. It's quite impressive how TD came out with the exact same denounces that a regular fan like myself would invent.

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »

Offline bigbabyjesus

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
IMO, the allegations are true; the nba is corrupt.  The players are just pawns behind marketing ploys aimed at maximizing dollars. The main tool is the team foul limit, albeit an old rule, which is abused ensure free throws.  There is ALWAYS enough contact to make a call off the ball for a couple of team fouls.  These are often called quickly, called during the beginning of quarters to avoid scrutiny, and not even shown on TV.  Why? Our intelligence as fans is not respected; our wallets are.

I do believe that basketball games can be influenced, but not totally controlled.  A team has to be good enough to beat not only the opposition, but the schemes as well (which explains why LBJ still does not have a ring).  I love the Celtics, but my faith in the league is faltering. 

You can bet Donaghy will be publishing a book soon.   

Do you remember what Rasheed Wallace said after a playoff loss to us: "THIS IS A SHOW, THIS ISN'T BASKETBALL." 

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 11:29:31 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Watch league officials, coaches, players, union, etc. rally to make sure this matter is put to bed quickly. This is a cash cow for all involved. The cradle will not be rocked. Phil will not complain for the remainder of the series. Doc will defend the NBA. Players will brag on the officials. Every year there is a pot of gold that must remain to be split.

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 11:33:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Ex-NBA referee Tim Donaghy told the feds two refs fixed the outcome of one playoff series - and that officials were told not to eject star players from games for fear of hurting ticket sales.

The bombshell allegations are contained in a court document filed Tuesday by Donaghy's lawyer. It describes the “inner workings" of the NBA in which top league executives used referees to manipulate games.

Donaghy, who pleaded guilty in Brooklyn Federal Court to charges of betting on games he officiated, told FBI agents “league officials would tell referees that they should withhold calling technical fouls on certain star players because doing so hurt ticket sales and television ratings," the document said.

Donaghy claims he was told that two refs who were “company men” acting in the interest of the NBA conspired to extend a playoff series in 2002 to a seventh game.

The referees allegedly ignored flagrant fouls committed by the team that needed to win. They also reportedly called "made-up fouls" against the other team which led to the ejection of two of their players. The team favored by the refs won that night and the next game to win the series.

Link.

Wow.  I wonder if there are any facts backing this up.  2002 playoff series that went to seven games?  It's Lakers-Kings, right?

Here's an excerpt from Game 6 of that series:

The Kings were whistled for 31 fouls — seven more than the Lakers. Backup center Scot Pollard fouled out, then Divac fouled out in the final three minutes.

"I knew before the game I'm going to be out," Divac said. "My turn. Shaq (fouled out) up there, I (fouled out) right here."
"Our big guys get 20 fouls and Shaq gets four. Obviously, they got the game called the way they wanted to get it called," Adelman said. "Our guys played their tail off and they still had a chance to win."

So, the ejections thing due to "make up calls" plays out, too.

This is just hearsay and gossip right now, but would it surprise anybody in the least if it were true?

Fixed or not I don't trust any of this or the people involved. Either way I am forced to say to myself that the Kings/Lakers series back in the day was either fixed or the worst officiated anything I ever saw ever by supposedly the best refs in the league. Both possibilities are totally unacceptable. It's like "who ya gonna believe? Me or your own lying eyes?" I trust my eyes but now I don't even know what my eyes were lying to me about!

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 11:35:08 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
IMO, the allegations are true; the nba is corrupt.  The players are just pawns behind marketing ploys aimed at maximizing dollars. The main tool is the team foul limit, albeit an old rule, which is abused ensure free throws.  There is ALWAYS enough contact to make a call off the ball for a couple of team fouls.  These are often called quickly, called during the beginning of quarters to avoid scrutiny, and not even shown on TV.  Why? Our intelligence as fans is not respected; our wallets are.

I do believe that basketball games can be influenced, but not totally controlled.  A team has to be good enough to beat not only the opposition, but the schemes as well (which explains why LBJ still does not have a ring).  I love the Celtics, but my faith in the league is faltering. 

You can bet Donaghy will be publishing a book soon.   

Do you remember what Rasheed Wallace said after a playoff loss to us: "THIS IS A SHOW, THIS ISN'T BASKETBALL." 

Rasheed has been saying that for years.  He was suspended in 2003 for calling out the officiating publically, specifically by threatening DONAGHY of all people after a game on an arena loading dock.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/news/2003/01/28/nba/ check out the first paragraph specifically for that reference.

Also from 2003:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrOH-KHxXg0

Quote from: Sheed in 2004
In my opinion, they just want to draft n----- who are dumb and dumber -- straight out of high school. That's why they're drafting all these high school cats, because they come into the league and they don't know no better. They don't know no better, and they don't know the real business, and they don't see behind the charade. ...They look at black athletes like we're dumb.... It's as if we're just going to shut up, sign for the money and do what they tell us.

http://www.edgeofsports.com/2003-12-25-35/index.html

Rasheed is a great talent and has a lot of insight - but to think he's the only one he realizes or at least perceives things in this fashion is just silly (for him).  He has learned (somewhat) over the years to tone down his approach a bit.

That said, I have a fairly overarching theory as to the whole Donaghy scandal, including Donaghy's involvement as a referee, why he in particular was scapegoated by the league (part of my theory refuses to believe the feds just "discovered" this on their own and decided to persuit it).  I'll get it all together and post it at some point.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 11:43:55 PM »

Offline GreenBud

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
Like Brian MacNamee, why would Donaghy be lying?  He has already plead guilty, this is the time to come clean.  He lies now and gets found out he would be guaranteed the max sentence.  He wants a lighter sentence, lying won't get him that if it could be easily proven he did.  Donaghy is probably just a normal guy that let an addiction to gambling take control and it led to his downfall.  I'll believe him before I believe the head of a billion dollar corporation that's for sure.  A corporation that has dubious situations (And the first pick goes to the NY Knicks!!), calls, etc for years.  Hopefully in the end this will do for the NBA what Canseco did for baseball.

As for Stern, ALL I WANT IS TO SEE THAT CONDESCENDING FAT LITTLE ***expletive*** RESIGN IN DISGRACE.  I despise him.

That is all :)

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 11:45:06 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I love how people are asking for evidence and whatnot. Everyone who saw that game was a witness to a crime being committed. I'm glad it's getting attention again because it should never be forgotten.

Haha I'll be glad to give you your first TP for that pic.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 12:22:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Haha I'll be glad to give you your first TP for that pic.

Yeah that was pretty sweet

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:16 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2008, 03:36:24 AM »

Offline cuckroller

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Well, I won't shy away from this stuff.  I am sure there are enough Laker fans quaking in their boots to go around.

A general preliminary comment.  A fast voyage around the basketball blogs is starting to reap a varied crop.  Disgruntled fans of all affiliations are retching up their historic personal beefs for past games, and past series.  I haven't seen too much stuff that calls the Celtics into the spotlight other than putative non-calls in the series with the Cavaliers this year (no doubt these are posted by Cleveland fans), and general remonstrations about supposedly dirty fouling but this stuff hearkens back to a time when most teams were much more physical anyway.

Sacramento -vs- Los Angeles 2002.  I still have all of these games on tape.  I went back and looked and them and I must admit that this was not something that I would probably have ever done of my own free will.  I consider this series to be the overall worst officiated series that I have ever seen involving the Lakers, and I have been a Laker fan since 1968.

I went back to see these tapes to refresh my memory about the officiating that occurred.

Game 1, and Game 2 - I just did not see any particular bias and these two games were probably the best called games of this series.

Game 3 - very badly called.  Sacramento won this game.  They should have won this game anyway, but the margin should have been much closer.  So, not a hose job, but the hose job here was avoided only because Sacramento was so far ahead and so the final result can not be contested

Game 4 - I could not discern any particular officiating favoritism.  This is the game of the disputable Samaki Walker 3pt shot as the first half was waning.  For me that shot should not have been counted and this shot was one of the reasons that the League put in place means of reviewing the shot clock on 3 pt shots (something that we saw fail miserably again this year with the infamous clock malfunction in Game 2 of the Detroit-Orlando series).  This game was won by the Lakers and this shot influenced the outcome since the margin was so restricted.  We will never know who would have won this game had this shot been disallowed, however, at that time it was a judgment call by the referees to make. 

Game 5 - continuing the horrible officating that by now was a hallmark of this sorry excuse for a series (made sorry by the arbitration, not by the teams themselves).  I recall at that time that this was a hose job, to our detriment.  Los Angeles lost by one point, and Sacramento was gifted by the highly disputable officiating a game they should not have won.  Serious doubts exist to this day about whether the Bibby 3 should not have been counted as a 2.

Game 6 - this game is absolutely the worst-officated game that I have seen in my life.  The Lakers did not deserve to win this game.  That the Kings were hosed is indisputable.  I have always considered this game to be the make-up game for the precedent Game 5 hose job. Among so many disputable calls was the elbow chuck by Bryant on Bibby near game end.

Game 7 - on the home court of Sacramento.  Having already done too much damage to the credibility of this entire series, the officials returned to the form of the series start and called a good game finally.  Sacramento was perhaps slightly favored by the arbitration - after all, at Arco, but they shot an abysmal 15/36 at the free throw line - that won't do it in any game...

I will always have a bad taste in my mouth about the arbitration in this series.  My sense is that everything considered, had the series not gone to the seventh game, then the Lakers would have been hosed because of Game 5.  Of course, the supporters of the Kings would have preferred to cash-in the ill-gotten gains of Game 5 and forgotten about it while winning Game 6 to win the series.  Such is the strange optics brought about by being a fan of any franchise.

One thing is sure, the arbitrations problems in this series did not depend on either of the two franchises involved.  These two teams just wanted to play their hearts out and try and win fair and square.  That they were not able to do so is certainly due to the atrocious arbitration throughout most of this series.

So, now, we will always have a series that for the Lakers, I am speaking of the objective Laker fans, though we won the series, we will always feel cheated out of the possibility to feel good about it because so many of the final scores were so disputable because of the officiating.  I certainly understand the feeling on the part of the Sacramento fans that they were jobbed, as we would have felt if they had won Game 6.

The point is that I hope never to assist such an incredible botch job on the part of the officials ever again.  However, this may be a pipe dream unless the League actually does revamp the vetting procedures now in place for the referees (that certainly seem to be disheartingly inadequate!), and instruct the referees to call all games following the rule book instead of this subtle favoritism that so often seems to be injected into how games are called.

As a Sportsmen, not as a Laker fan, I want this crap cleaned up.  I want all fans of all fanbases to be able to have their legitimate aspirations for the team of their heart to be met, that is, that all teams are judged even-handedly on the basketball court.  Credibility must be re-established in arbitration, otherwise the game Basketball will certainly suffer.  Speaking as a fan, and speaking to the League, clean this stuff up, do not leave us feeling cheated, and do not allow us to believe that when our favorite teams win that they have not been allowed to do so fair-and-square!!!!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:24:14 AM by cuckroller »

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2008, 10:10:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Love him or hate him, I think Bob Ryan wrote a great article on this in today's Globe.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/06/12/this_calls_for_a_stern_response/?page=full

I think he's dead right about it being time for Stern to address this head-on (or maybe wait until the Finals over).  The "Consider the Source" argrument from Stern just isn't going to cut it with the public, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Since Doneghy bet on games he officiated, is it a stretch that this was one of them?

If we say that it wasn't, then we are saying that he is a innocent man.... if we say his allegations are true, then he is guilty and the Kings got screwed......

Doneghy is a pretty smart man for making these statements.