Author Topic: Rudy Fernandez coming to play for Portland  (Read 6845 times)

Rudy Fernandez coming to play for Portland
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:18:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Guard Rudy Fernandez said Friday that he plans to leave his Spanish ACB League team to join the Portland Trail Blazers.

Fernandez made the announcement at a news conference in Spain. The Trail Blazers can not comment, because of league rules, until he signs with the team on July 1.

"It has not been easy for me to take this decision, but it is the moment to face new challenges," Fernandez said. "Now, I have the chance to fulfill a dream and become part of the NBA."

The 6-foot-6 shooting guard averaged 21.2 points, 4.1 assists and 3.1 rebounds for DKV Joventut Badalona this past season.

The 24th overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft by the Phoenix Suns, he was acquired by Portland for cash considerations.

Fernandez will make about $900,000 his rookie season because of NBA rules, about half of what he would have made with his Spanish team.

He is a friend of Trail Blazers guard Sergio Rodriguez, also from Spain.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Wonder what this'll mean for the Blazers, who are already quite deep in the guard position, quite of a few of them that should warrant plenty of playing time. I expect them to make some trades. What's your take on this?

They now have:

Rudy Fernandez
Brandon Roy
Sergio Rodriguez
Steve Blake
Jarrett Jack

Re: Rudy Fernandez coming to play for Portland
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I expect they will use one or two of their young guys, maybe their pick, and Raef's expiring contract to go after a PG or small forward.

I think their #1 target will be Shawn Marion.  He would be a great fit, and that would give them a hell of a starting lineup with Roy, Marion, Aldridge and Oden (and PG TBD).  All of those players have the ability to score, and they also are all decent or better defenders.

I also think they should see what Chicago is doing with Hinrich, or even see if they can do a sign and trade with Toronto for Calderon.

In general, they are in an excellent position, because they certainly could just stand pat, and hope to build on last year by adding Oden, and having their young guys one year more mature...but they also have one of the biggest expiring contracts in the league, and plenty of pieces to put around it to bring in a star.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 04:51:54 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I agree, they are definately going to make a trade, and when they do they will b a very scary team.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 04:53:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I expect they will use one or two of their young guys, maybe their pick, and Raef's expiring contract to go after a PG or small forward.

I think their #1 target will be Shawn Marion.  He would be a great fit, and that would give them a hell of a starting lineup with Roy, Marion, Aldridge and Oden (and PG TBD).  All of those players have the ability to score, and they also are all decent or better defenders.

I also think they should see what Chicago is doing with Hinrich, or even see if they can do a sign and trade with Toronto for Calderon.

In general, they are in an excellent position, because they certainly could just stand pat, and hope to build on last year by adding Oden, and having their young guys one year more mature...but they also have one of the biggest expiring contracts in the league, and plenty of pieces to put around it to bring in a star.

Don't they also have Steve Francis' contract? So they have two huge expiring contracts... man, they can become quite a power house.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Rudy Fernandez is going to play. Every time Blazers' GM Pritchard does an interview he beams about the guy.

Fernandez is either going to start at shooting guard or be their version of Ginobili off the bench. Brandon Roy's versatility is a huge bonus here, he could play the point or small forward with Rudy starting at off guard.

If Rudy comes off the bench that'll give the Blazers one heck of a second unit - Fernandez, Outlaw, Pryzbilla, Frye and whichever point guard remains to be the primary backup (Jack or Sergio).

Pritchard loves Rudy's slashing ability. He feels Portland lacked that this past season and were too reliant on jumpshooting. That'll be a big bonus on whether or not he starts. Very good shooter also. Extra scorer.

As for trades, the Blazers will definitely be making changes. They'll look to couple a few players to get one superior player. That'll make it hard for teams like Boston to steal a talented youth. Pritchard doesn't want more draft picks, he has said repeatedly that he has enough picks and young talent both on the roster (especially on the roster, doesn't want to add more youth unless it's great quality) and abroad. Lot of paper talk that the Blazers are shopping their draft pick too.

Blazers are searching for a top playmaking point guard. They'll attempt to move up for Bayless/Mayo but I doubt they get that done. Then they'll hunt after some young veterans already established in the NBA. It's hard to see who'll they go after.

Steve Blake has another year on his contract, at the end of next season he'll leave. He was a caretaker to help the youth and he's done that well. He won't be re-signed unless they trade all their point guards. So that's a natural departure for the team. Raef LaFrentz is in a similar boat. Maybe three depending on Frye but I think they keep him around if finances are workable.

McRoberts is likely on the outside looking in. He didn't do much to distinguish himself this past season. Von Wafer is another who'll unlikely be kept. They'll be the first two to be ditched this summer to create some roster spots.

Then there's James Jones. I'm not convinced he re-signs, he wants to play and with Rudy coming over the Blazers wings suddenly looks very crowded - Roy/Rudy/Outlaw/Webster - Jones has always asked to go where he'll get an opportunity to play so he won't be in Portland unless they make a move elsewhere. That's another roster spot.

So three roster spots right away and two available next season.

Clearly they're not as desperate for roster spots as some are making out but all indications (Pritchard saying so) is that Portland want to package some of their players/picks and get a superior talent. I'd look for Portland to be very aware of what All-Star talents are available on the perimeter during the offseason/season too, I can see them trading Raef to become a top contender this season if a good enough player is available.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is a good spot for Ainge to weasel his way into a multi team trade and steal a backup PG. 

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
This is a good spot for Ainge to weasel his way into a multi team trade and steal a backup PG. 

I cannot think of a better backup PG for the C's than Steve Blake.  I don't see too much the C's could do to interest the Blazers, however, they definitely should try to get in on a multi-team deal...maybe using Scal and Tony for salary, and either Big Baby or the #30 pick to get something done.

Blake can shoot, is a very good defender, very good leader, and he really knows how to run an offense.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 05:04:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I disagree

Portland want more scoring, especially go-to scoring. Marion doesn't provide that. He's also a very average shooter which doesn't fit in with their needs since they have two quality big men. They want veteran leadership, once again Shawn Marion doesn't provide that.

I can see Marion being a last ditch option but nowhere near the top of the list. I think they'll look at Rashard Lewis types before they'll look at a Shawn Marion.

They'll call, heck they've reportedly called already, about Calderon but I can't see Colangelo even considering it. Colangelo is heads over heels in love with Jose. It would take a ridiculous trade to pry him lose, one that would overwhelming favour Toronto. Colangelo values him too highly, like Chicago did with Deng.

Hinrich is a good team. I can see them getting involved in that. I wouldn't, I think it's a bad fit but I can see them hunting Hinrich and putting a quality offer on the table (Blake+No.13 or Outlaw). I don't picture Chicago getting many good offers so that'll probably do it. Heck Outlaw is better than Hinrich already, that'd do it.

Don't they also have Steve Francis' contract? So they have two huge expiring contracts... man, they can become quite a power house.
You can't use bought-out contracts can you? Didn't think you could.

Don't forget Darius Miles. Getting his name off their books clears both a roster spot and a lot of money. 24mil over three I think was left on his contract. It was $26mil over three seasons including this season, so about $18mil over two years wiped out for future years.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 05:12:56 PM by Who »

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
Do you guys still think Oden is the next Duncan/Bill Russell? Has anyone heard anything about his status?

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 05:12:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Do you guys still think Oden is the next Duncan/Bill Russell? Has anyone heard anything about his status?

Yes.  I still think he will be one of the two top big men in the NBA for the next decade.  (along with Howard)

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Forgot he was bought out, but my first impression would be that you couldn't... but I don't know for certain.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Forgot he was bought out, but my first impression would be that you couldn't... but I don't know for certain.

Your right, you can't (this is why it drives me nuts when people say we need to cut Scal...if we cut him or buy him out, his contract remains on the cap, but can no longer be traded).

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Yes I do. Great career on the horizon. Winning several championships is achievable. I think his career will be in Duncan's stratosphere when all is said and done, possibly beyond Duncan due to the strength of the Blazers so early in his career. Blazers talent is young too, Oden will have Aldridge for 12-14 years unlike Duncan's short period with a declining David Robinson.
Yes.  I still think he will be one of the two top big men in the NBA for the next decade.  (along with Howard)
I think he'll achieve more than Howard. Better GM and teammates is a big reason why.

Something very impressive about Greg Oden plays the game too ... wisdom beyond his years. The defense and board work will come very quick. The offense will be close to Howard's very quickly. In terms of raw talent he's comparable already but lacking execution. Heck Oden showed more use of the hook shot in college than Howard has in four years.

The biggest lesson Oden has to learn is how much bigger he is and how to use his size to his benefit. Lacking there. Dwight is well ahead here but he too is still a work in progress in this regard.

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 08:38:06 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The question for the Blazers is *when* do they make the big trade?  Is it draft night where they deal Raef + #13 + (one of the young players) for someone really good, or do they wait and see how things go this upcoming season and then get active at the trade deadline? 

Paul Allen loves the trades, and so the former would not surprise me.  They have a lot of pieces that they can use, but I think they will play it a bit conservative and see what Raef + pick + maybe Frye can drum up.  If they were willing to part with Aldridge or Roy, they could get a special player, but they will not risk it.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 09:46:23 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
wanted c's to go after blake last summer....great pass first backup pg....don't know if there is a matchup that they would want in exchange