Author Topic: Woj: Gafford to Dallas; GWill to Charlotte for P.J.  (Read 3764 times)

Woj: Gafford to Dallas; GWill to Charlotte for P.J.
« on: February 08, 2024, 11:23:33 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1755627210289893500

Another western team gets stronger!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 01:50:21 PM by Roy H. »

Re: Woj: Gafford to Dallas
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 11:24:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Great get for Dallas. Perfect for Luka. Great athlete, cutter and lob target.

They finally have a 2nd center behind D Lively. No more of these atrocious lineups with Kleber at center (hopefully!!).

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 11:35:10 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
The Washington Wizards are nearing a deal to send Daniel Gafford to the Dallas Mavericks for Richaun Holmes and draft compensation, sources tell ESPN.
11:18 AM · Feb 8, 2024

I think DAL got a pick to take on Holmes contract and is now giving up a pick to get what they hope is a useful player.  Gafford has this season and 2 more years, Holmes has this season and a player options (that I guess he picks up).

What happened to Holmes?  It wasn't that long ago that he was a decent player.  He is only 30.  Now he is just dead contract weight that you have to attach a pick or picks to (we'll see when the details are reported), in order to trade.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 11:43:03 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
The Washington Wizards are nearing a deal to send Daniel Gafford to the Dallas Mavericks for Richaun Holmes and draft compensation, sources tell ESPN.

I think DAL got a pick to take on Holmes contract and is now giving up a pick to get what they hope is a useful player.  Gafford has this season and 2 more years, Holmes has this season and a player options (that I guess he picks up).

What happened to Holmes?  It wasn't that long ago that he was a decent player.  He is only 30.  Now he is just dead contract weight that you have to attach a pick or picks to (we'll see when the details are reported), in order to trade.

Yeah, he was pretty decent when he was with Sacramento. I wonder if he gets to play with the Wizards. They’re pretty thin in the frontline.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 11:45:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Yeah, he was pretty decent when he was with Sacramento. I wonder if he gets to play with the Wizards. They’re pretty thin in the frontline.

Yeah, I was just penning in Muscala as their new starting center. Thin indeed.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 12:09:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Muscala is on the pistons.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 12:21:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Muscala is on the pistons.

Ah right. Gallo too. I forgot that.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 01:32:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
So they bring in Gafford reported for a first round pick, then trade Grant for PJ Washington... also for a first round pick. Yet they have only 1 tradable first round pick. So where is this second first coming from?

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 01:34:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Not sure what to make of the G-Will trade but the fact that they attached Seth Curry + a 1st round pick for PJ Washington is kind of wild to me.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 01:40:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
So they bring in Gafford reported for a first round pick, then trade Grant for PJ Washington... also for a first round pick. Yet they have only 1 tradable first round pick. So where is this second first coming from?

Was the Gafford trade including a first?

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 01:43:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

What appears to be happening is Dallas is sending Grant Williams and their 2027 pick lightly protected to Cha for PJ Washington.

They then acquired a 2024 from OKC that they are sending for Gafford.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 01:45:09 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Not sure what to make of the G-Will trade but the fact that they attached Seth Curry + a 1st round pick for PJ Washington is kind of wild to me.

They get back a couple of seconds, but yeah, I don’t get the Washington love.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 01:47:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I don't like PJ Washington next to Luka. He can't shoot.

Edit: Can't shoot is too harsh. But he is a low quality shooter. That is why he has to play PF instead of SF where a guy with his size & athleticism should play. Even some C minutes in the past. The lack of shooting.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2024, 01:48:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

What appears to be happening is Dallas is sending Grant Williams and their 2027 pick lightly protected to Cha for PJ Washington.

They then acquired a 2024 from OKC that they are sending for Gafford.

My head hurts...

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2024, 01:49:40 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

They get back a couple of seconds, but yeah, I don’t get the Washington love.

Actually, it appears they are sending a 2024 first that they have acquired from OKC. Not clear HOW they acquired it, but I'd guess they offered OKC a pick swap in exchange for a late first they could send to Washington. OKC has so many draft picks they can't make all of them anyway so the upside of a pick swap might be more valuable to them.