Author Topic: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin  (Read 11642 times)

Re: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2024, 04:01:59 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
I never understood why a team competing for a title would go for a young unproven coach.  Feel bad for Griffin, but that was always a weird hire to me.

The Mazzulla Precedent  :angel:

you stole my line!!! haha

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2024, 04:02:18 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Seems to me that building a roster devoid of a single quality perimeter defender is an error of roster construction, not coaching.  GM should follow him out the door.

Not in touch with the Bucks well enough to know what the general impression of Griffin was.  Getting fired with that record suggests some sort of behind-the-scenes blowout to me though, either with Giannis/Lillard or the GM. 

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2024, 04:03:44 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Article complained they went from one of the best defenses to one of the worst.  Gee...thats what happens when you trade your best defender playing big minutes and replace him with a guy playing more minutes who is one of your worst defenders...Their whole mentality changes for the worse.

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2024, 04:04:50 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
For all the talk of the record and how successful they’ve been, has anyone actually been watching them or compared their record to the teams they’ve beat/their overall strength of schedule?

Depending upon what metric you use, Milwaukee has genuinely played a bottom 3 strength of schedule thus far, and most places have them as the most difficult remaining strength of schedule.

Further, in a good portion of their wins they’re barely beating bad teams by better play in the clutch after being outplayed or matched through most of the game, including close wins against the Cunningham-less Pistons in their last two games.

Their defense is atrocious, and their good offense is only barely able to cover their defensive deficiencies with a 3.8 net rating good for 10th in the league against a very soft schedule thus far. I think there’s real concern in Milwaukee that with a much tougher schedule in the second half of the season that they’re not going to be able to get away with playing like they’ve been playing.

YES! they have play more home games and have gotten fat on bad teams, much like they did last season when they went on that long win streak.

Beat Boston after 3 days off and the Cs on a back to back with travel. The schedule has been kind to them.

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2024, 04:08:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Wow, that's on management. You hire a guy who doesn't even make it through one season.

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2024, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Further, in a good portion of their wins they’re barely beating bad teams by better play in the clutch after being outplayed or matched through most of the game, including close wins against the Cunningham-less Pistons in their last two games.

Being a Celtics fan, I thought this was normal.

Right?
We literally almost lost to the pistons too, albeit they had Cade but the pistons have been playing just as good without him.

That said the bucks have been worse then their record suggests(except for when they played us) and potentially the only worse coach in the league then mazzula was Adrian griffin

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2024, 04:27:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Are the Bucks hiring Doc?

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2024, 04:28:00 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593
Bucks were dumb(like we were) to make their team and on the job training program, but smart to realize it's not working.
W/L record doesn't mean a whole lot on this league given you can stack wins on the backs of garbage teams.
'
I wonder if Dame is going to start making noises to leave in the offseason given the turmoil.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2024, 04:31:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
For all the talk of the record and how successful they’ve been, has anyone actually been watching them or compared their record to the teams they’ve beat/their overall strength of schedule?

Depending upon what metric you use, Milwaukee has genuinely played a bottom 3 strength of schedule thus far, and most places have them as the most difficult remaining strength of schedule.

Their defense is atrocious, and their good offense is only barely able to cover their defensive deficiencies with a 3.8 net rating good for 10th in the league against a very soft schedule thus far. I think there’s real concern in Milwaukee that with a much tougher schedule in the second half of the season that they’re not going to be able to get away with playing like they’ve been playing.

YES! they have play more home games and have gotten fat on bad teams, much like they did last season when they went on that long win streak.

Beat Boston after 3 days off and the Cs on a back to back with travel. The schedule has been kind to them.

The bold is absolutely true about the Bucks so far.  They have only had 3 games against the top 7 teams in the league.  They haven't played a single Western Conf contender yet at all.   Maybe they will surprise us, but the odds are their winning % in the 2nd half of the season won't be as good as the first.

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2024, 04:37:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
About time. Dumb ass decision to hire him in the first place. They were enough warning signs in preseason when Stotts left.

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2024, 04:45:47 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Damian Lillard reportedly had a hard time adjusting to Milwaukee’s offensive scheme.

“Along the way, league sources say, Lillard has spent much of this season struggling with the way the Bucks function on the offensive end. While he had remained patient with coaches and teammates, there was an inevitable pressure on Griffin from the organization to make the most of Lillard’s talent in the kind of way that validates the choice to part ways with Jrue Holiday, Grayson Allen and three first-round picks in order to land him.”

———

Source: The Athletic
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2024, 04:57:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Gives hope to all the “Fire Joe!” people.  :laugh:

In all seriousness, it’s pretty messed up how Giannis, I mean the Bucks, have been tossing their coaches to the curb lately.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 05:13:41 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2024, 05:10:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I never understood why a team competing for a title would go for a young unproven coach.  Feel bad for Griffin, but that was always a weird hire to me.

The Mazzulla Precedent  :angel:

you stole my line!!! haha

I am not sure how much sarcasm is in this but the Celtics were forced to hire a coach after Udoka was embroiled in a scandal, near the end of the off season.  So they promoted an assistant.  It would have been difficult for them to conduct a formal coaching search at that point.

The Bucks hired Griffin away from Toronto at the beginning of June.  They weren't forced or rushed into it at all, after firing Budenholzer in early May.

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2024, 05:23:01 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Damian Lillard reportedly had a hard time adjusting to Milwaukee’s offensive scheme.

“Along the way, league sources say, Lillard has spent much of this season struggling with the way the Bucks function on the offensive end. While he had remained patient with coaches and teammates, there was an inevitable pressure on Griffin from the organization to make the most of Lillard’s talent in the kind of way that validates the choice to part ways with Jrue Holiday, Grayson Allen and three first-round picks in order to land him.”

———

I firmly believe that if they knew they had a chance at Dame, the Bucks would've never parted with Bud. They certainly wouldn't have hired Griffin.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2024, 05:28:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

———

I firmly believe that if they knew they had a chance at Dame, the Bucks would've never parted with Bud. They certainly wouldn't have hired Griffin.

Giannis wanted Bud gone, and then he was gone.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.