Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56358 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 02:00:11 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Hopefully Portland, with Lillard back, will push Memphis out of the playoffs and down to the 14th pick. Maybe with a significant injury a couple of more teams could pass them (San Antonio and NOLA) but it's doubtful. I think pick 14 is the most likely scenario. FECK!!

Memphis beat Portland last night. They're for real. And because they'll have a better record than the lowest east seeds, the pick is probably 16 or 17.
I think the Pelicans catch them.  They are a much different team with Zion.
I was just about to post the same thing.  I made a pre-season bet with a co-worker who was very high on the Pelicans ... he wins if the Pels get over 45.5 wins.  And, I'm actually slightly nervous (I know that would require them to only lose 5 more games, but their schedule is very easy).  I think catching the Grizzlies is very likely though.

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 04:57:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pelicans are 5 games back in the loss column, with 28 games remaining. I wouldn't count on them catching Memphis.

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 06:05:02 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Memphis since January 1st ----15W 5L

What!?

NBA 10th in PPG (offense)

NBA 21st in ppg (defense)

They have 11 easier games and 17 tough games left on their schedule.

I don't know if they're going to crash and burn. They don't look like it right now....dang it.

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

What!?

I don't know if they're going to crash and burn. They don't look like it right now....dang it.
I'd expect them to start dropping.  They are 7-16 against .500 and above teams. 
They have the toughest remaining schedule left.  The Pels have the easiest and the Blazers aren't too far behind them. 

http://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength 

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Hopefully Portland, with Lillard back, will push Memphis out of the playoffs and down to the 14th pick. Maybe with a significant injury a couple of more teams could pass them (San Antonio and NOLA) but it's doubtful. I think pick 14 is the most likely scenario. FECK!!

Memphis beat Portland last night. They're for real. And because they'll have a better record than the lowest east seeds, the pick is probably 16 or 17.
I don't know about being "for real" (they are the 8 seed) but Lillard left the game with an injury (groin or something) so that puts a damper on Portland catching them if Lillard is to miss ANY games.

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2020, 11:01:17 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
One of the 3 UK guards would be nice..Quickley, Hagans or Maxey... all are very quick, good ball handlers and decent shooters
Out of the three I like Hagans the most, if it's with one of the late 1st rounders. I think Maxey could go anywhere from 12-22. Quickley should stay in school. I wouldn't mind Richards (3rd big off the bench or to replace Poirier) with the second rounder if Kanter leaves and we don't replace him with a FA, trade or draft someone with the Memphis pick.

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2020, 11:05:46 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

What!?

They have the toughest remaining schedule left.  The Pels have the easiest and the Blazers aren't too far behind them. 

Yes! I mentioned this a month ago. We shall see what the standings in 3 weeks or so from now. I am still hoping for an injury (nothing serious) though to make lose 7 of 10 or so.

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2020, 12:00:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
going into the all-star break, I can't express my disappointment in the Western conference strongly enough.  how do teams with big name players and lots of experience fall well behind a young, inexperienced Memphis team? 
- SA -- Aldridge, Derozan and Pop not to mention other decent players should not be as bad as they are.
- Portland - Lillard, McCollum and other good players should not be as bad as they are.
- GSW - their tank job with Curry/Thompson out this year after being the top team in the league irritates the hell out of me
- NO - wish Zion came back sooner - this is a team that looks like they'll be on a serious upswing after the break but are there enough games left to make up a 5+ game gap?  probably not but we may get lucky.
- Sac - what a disappointment this year after getting good enough to mess up our pick in the last draft.  jerks
- Brooklyn - signed Kyrie and Durant only to scrape by into the East playoffs but not have a winning record thus further hurting our draft position with the Memphis pick
- Orlando - cripes, just a revolving wheel of underachievement.  not even mediocre results for that franchise.  hurting the Mem pick position for us as well.

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2020, 08:38:27 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

What!?

I just took another look at their schedule and it is pretty brutal. They don't play any bottom feeders from the East (except a home/home vs. Atlanta and a game vs. the Knicks at home). They also don't play any bottom feeders from the West except the Kings (home/home). That is it. The rest are against playoff teams and a few games vs. Portland, San Antonio and NOLA. Tough sledding from here on out. So yeah, they could very easily miss the playoffs and get passed by in the standings by 2 or possibly 3 teams. It will be interesting to say the least.

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2020, 09:18:55 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
In the event we end up keeping the picks, I would love to snag Jalen Smith of Maryland.

Physicals: 6'10 PF who weighs 225lbs. He is a very fluid athlete who has a ton of burst and explosion. At the time of the draft he will have turned 20, so he is a young Sophomore.

Current Stats: 15.4 ppg 10.5 rpg 2.3 bpg with shooting splits of 54/38/75. He doesn't take a ton of 3s, but 2.7 per game isn't horrible.

He will fill the role of a modern 3 and D big. I have been watching him since I started paying attention to Fernando last year at Maryland. I was never high on Fernando, since the modern game has moved away from him. Smith on the other hand should easily be the modern rim protector.

His major knock is that he is still a bit on the skinny side, and he might always be. Everything I have read has his work ethic as a plus. Considering he is all over the draft board, I feel he would definitely be worth a flier.

#JKJB

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2020, 10:12:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
In the event we end up keeping the picks, I would love to snag Jalen Smith of Maryland.

Physicals: 6'10 PF who weighs 225lbs. He is a very fluid athlete who has a ton of burst and explosion. At the time of the draft he will have turned 20, so he is a young Sophomore.

Current Stats: 15.4 ppg 10.5 rpg 2.3 bpg with shooting splits of 54/38/75. He doesn't take a ton of 3s, but 2.7 per game isn't horrible.

He will fill the role of a modern 3 and D big. I have been watching him since I started paying attention to Fernando last year at Maryland. I was never high on Fernando, since the modern game has moved away from him. Smith on the other hand should easily be the modern rim protector.

His major knock is that he is still a bit on the skinny side, and he might always be. Everything I have read has his work ethic as a plus. Considering he is all over the draft board, I feel he would definitely be worth a flier.

I’m with you on Jalen Smith.  I don’t know if he has star potential, but he seems to be a higher-ceiling version of Kevon Looney at a minimum.  I don’t know where he’ll wind up going in draft night, but I’d be happy to use one of our later 1sts on him.  Givony of ESPN currently has him going 34th.  I feel that’s a little low, unless he tests poorly at the combine.

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2020, 10:25:00 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
For what it's worth, 538's season projections have Memphis with just an 8% chance of making the playoffs. The Pelicans are at 56% and the Trailblazers are at 30%.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-predictions/

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2020, 11:45:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
For what it's worth, 538's season projections have Memphis with just an 8% chance of making the playoffs. The Pelicans are at 56% and the Trailblazers are at 30%.

I could easily live with that.  suggests that both would catch and pass Memphis pushing the pick to 12 from its current spot at 17.   would love to see SA catch them too. 

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I could easily live with that.  suggests that both would catch and pass Memphis pushing the pick to 12 from its current spot at 17.   would love to see SA catch them too.

Given where we've been, the 12th pick would be grand. The only worry then is that they land 12th or 13th and then win the lottery to get the #1 or 2 pick. While it's theoretically possible they won't make the playoffs next year when the pick is unprotected I wouldn't rate that very likely.  Their very young core should improve, they'd have a top new talent to plug in as a role player (at least), and they've got cap money for veteran role players.

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I don't know about being "for real" (they are the 8 seed) but Lillard left the game with an injury (groin or something) so that puts a damper on Portland catching them if Lillard is to miss ANY games.

"For real" a threat to make the playoffs, meaning I wouldn't get on them just fading against the Portlands and San Antonios of the world. Maybe their schedule will take them out, though.