Author Topic: Bill Walker joins Giddens in D-League  (Read 10270 times)

Re: Bill Walker joins Giddens in D-League
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 11:07:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I've gotta say, I am a little surprised.  I personally thought Walker might get more out of practicing with the big club, and working with their trainers to continue to build up strength in his knees.  But I certainly don't see anything bad coming from him getting regular playing time, even if it is against inferior competition.  Hopefully he comes back in a month or two, ready to contribute on the big stage.

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 01:13:07 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I hope he's been working on that jumpshot.  He's really going to need that at his hight. It's tough to be a 6'4 Greg Oden.

Well, he's a little bit more fluid than Oden, but that's a good analogy. His game and skills are more proper of a 6'10, don't fit very well a perimeter player. He must work on his jump-shot and his handling or else there's not much of a future to him in the NBA. I hope he's been progressing quickly and can keep on, or else it'd have been a better idea to send him to Europe. Anyway, it's a good excuse to catch some D-League games.

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Pruitt should be there, too.  For the same reasons Walker is going.  Better to get quality minutes at a lower level than none at all here.

pruitt can't go, plus if he's going to play liek he did last night, he'll be getting rotation minutes soon enough.
Doc just likes to start young guys slow. He did it with rondo, ryan, west, al to a degree, and so forth.

What was it he did last night that makes you say he played well? I thought he looked pretty shakey handing the ball. He didn't shoot particually well, and got beat by Bynum quite a few times. I'm just wondering if I missed something. I mean he wasn't bad, but I wouldn't say he played himself into the rotation.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:20:10 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
With two young players now in Utah, will the Celts send a coach / staff member to assist with their growth?

yes...if i remember correctly, i believe dave wohl went with giddens to oversee his development from the celtics perspective.  don't quote me on that, but they do have someone there.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Pruitt should be there, too.  For the same reasons Walker is going.  Better to get quality minutes at a lower level than none at all here.

pruitt can't go, plus if he's going to play liek he did last night, he'll be getting rotation minutes soon enough.
Doc just likes to start young guys slow. He did it with rondo, ryan, west, al to a degree, and so forth.

What was it he did last night that makes you say he played well? I thought he looked pretty shakey handing the ball. He didn't shoot particually well, and got beat by Bynum quite a few times. I'm just wondering if I missed something. I mean he wasn't bad, but I wouldn't say he played himself into the rotation.

we all see what we want to see i guess.

I'll bet you 25 TP's that shooting with confidance as he did last night, playing good D (which he did, team defense broke down because people were in garbage time mode, also POB has his own troubles protecting the rim oon help.) and ball handeling that hes getting rotation minutes just after christmas.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 02:27:35 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
The thing that I question with Billy is his lateral quickness.  He gave up baseline or got beat by his man on drives quite a few times in the preseason.  The team defense of the Celtics will bail him out of these kinds of mistakes fairly often, but I'd rather they didn't have to.  Other than that, he seems to have quick hands, and that's not really something you can teach.

The kid can score, though.  The biggest play of his (other than the dunk) that stuck out to me was when he faked right and broke his man's ankles, took two steps left and knocked down a 17-footer.  It wasn't the result or the play itself, so much as it just looked like he'd been doing it his whole life.  A three-point shot would help him, but from what I've seen he's already got a decent midrange game - and of anybody in the NBA, Paul Pierce probably represents the kind of package that Walker could bring better than anyone, so it's good to see Walker with the opportunity to learn from somebody with a very similar game.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570

we all see what we want to see i guess.

I'll bet you 25 TP's that shooting with confidance as he did last night, playing good D (which he did, team defense broke down because people were in garbage time mode, also POB has his own troubles protecting the rim oon help.) and ball handeling that hes getting rotation minutes just after christmas.

You're on. 25 TP's it is. I'm not saying you're wrong, like you said we all see what we see. Besides, I don't ever bet money, so betting on some TP might make things interesting.

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 01:56:31 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Naw Bill Walker is like 6'5. I think JR is only 6'4.

You mean I think I'm only 6'4"  ;)

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 02:02:52 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i think this is REALLY good for the both of them, JR obviously needed it becuase he was behind, and it became obvious that D-league will be better for walker as well when his only minutes were in the middle of blowouts with everyone playing out of the offense trying to impress people. who knows? maybe the two of them can gain some sort of bond and work well together for the future.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 02:11:29 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

love this picture, found it on the utah flash site.