Author Topic: Bill Walker joins Giddens in D-League  (Read 10286 times)

Bill Walker joins Giddens in D-League
« on: November 21, 2008, 08:23:24 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
According to Hoopshype.com, Bill Walker will also be assigned to D-League's Utah Flash, like JR Giddens.

That's kind of sad. I like the kid's game :(

Re: Bill Walker joins Giddens in D-League
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I hope Walker keeps a  cool head, and takes it as well as Giddens has seemed to. I'd love to see how they play together. I Hope they both find a way to be dominant down there.

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
According to Hoopshype.com, Bill Walker will also be assigned to D-League's Utah Flash, like JR Giddens.

That's kind of sad. I like the kid's game :(

eh, im indiffrent, i think the d-league really helps players.

there is little point in keeping them away from playing basketball ya know?

I think doc really likes his rotation right now, and cant find minutes for walker yet. Outside of our lack of a bench player over 6'8 in said backup rotation, so do i :)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I hope Walker keeps a  cool head, and takes it as well as Giddens has seemed to. I'd love to see how they play together. I Hope they both find a way to be dominant down there.

I think Walker is becoming one of the most misunderstood players around here. He's kinda like Garnett in a way... a Jekyll and Hide phenomena. They get very worked up during games, but once that's done with they're quite humble and level-headed.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I hope he's been working on that jumpshot.  He's really going to need that at his hight. It's tough to be a 6'4 Greg Oden.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:29:42 AM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Naw Bill Walker is like 6'5. I think JR is only 6'4.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well I knew that was going to happen and called it in August. I wouldn't surprise me to see POB go that way as well.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 09:32:18 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
It's better than sitting on the bench
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:50:35 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
With two young players now in Utah, will the Celts send a coach / staff member to assist with their growth?
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Pruitt should be there, too.  For the same reasons Walker is going.  Better to get quality minutes at a lower level than none at all here.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well I knew that was going to happen and called it in August. I wouldn't surprise me to see POB go that way as well.

I'm pretty sure only players in their first two seasons can be sent, Nick.  Otherwise, I would agree.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:21:43 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The both need to be playing in games, not watching from the bench.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Pruitt should be there, too.  For the same reasons Walker is going.  Better to get quality minutes at a lower level than none at all here.

pruitt can't go, plus if he's going to play liek he did last night, he'll be getting rotation minutes soon enough.

Doc just likes to start young guys slow. He did it with rondo, ryan, west, al to a degree, and so forth.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 10:25:13 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'm pretty sure only players in their first two seasons can be sent, Nick.  Otherwise, I would agree.

Nevermind, I was wrong.

From wikipedia:

Players for D-League teams do not sign contracts with the individual teams, but with the league itself. D-League team rosters consist of a total of 12 players, 10 (or fewer) being D-League players and 2 (or more) NBA players. The rosters are made up in a number of ways - the previous years' players, players taken in the D-League draft, allocation players (meaning players who are assigned to a team with which they have a local connection, such as a University of Texas player being assigned to the Austin Toros), NBA team assignments, and local tryouts. Each NBA team can assign two first or second year players to its affiliated D-League team. If more than two NBA players are assigned to a team, the team must reduce the number of D-League players to keep the total roster size to 12. Each team also has local tryouts, and one player from the tryouts is assigned to the team. The minimum age to play in the NBDL is 18,[10] unlike the NBA which requires players to be 19 years old and one year out of high school in order to sign an NBA contract or be eligible for the draft.

NBA teams can call up players as many times as they choose, but a player can only be assigned to the NBA D-League three times in a season.

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is a good thing.  These kids need to get some reps and they're not gonna get them with this Celtics team.

Its gonna help their development a lot more, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team