Author Topic: Marc Stein: Clippers have emerged as serious thread for Durant  (Read 6073 times)

Re: Marc Stein: Clippers have emerged as serious thread for Durant
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 08:51:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What's the situation with the Clips?  Could they sign both Durant and Kawhi outright?  What pieces can they bring back, etc.?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 08:53:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What's the situation with the Clips?  Could they sign both Durant and Kawhi outright?  What pieces can they bring back, etc.?
They have to move Gallo to get a second max FA slot. That's basically it. Their FA cap holds are mostly on the smaller side so they could retain some of them with bird rights if they choose after signing Kawhi/Durant or Durant/Kyrie.

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 09:07:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Some media folks also state that Durant might prefer the Clippers over Knicks, since Dolan is a dI&^&* and Balmer is a better owner and loaded with money

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 09:17:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Balmer should move the Clippers to Seattle

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 09:34:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Dude spent $2 billion for an LA based franchise and you think he should move that franchise to a medium sized market that couldn't support an NBA franchise and would most likely severely effect the value of the franchise he would move there?

Not gonna happen. I would think Memphis would be the next franchise to move and would go to either Seattle or Las Vegas

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 09:57:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Never underestimate the logo. I had a feeling for a long while that he would get Durant and another big name free agent this summer. He gets things done.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 10:12:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Dude spent $2 billion for an LA based franchise and you think he should move that franchise to a medium sized market that couldn't support an NBA franchise and would most likely severely effect the value of the franchise he would move there?

Not gonna happen. I would think Memphis would be the next franchise to move and would go to either Seattle or Las Vegas
meh... he’s got 45 billion more.  A team in Seattle will prob be worth around 1-2 billion.

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:24 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

meh... he’s got 45 billion more.  A team in Seattle will prob be worth around 1-2 billion.
TP
people act like these owners are average joes, worried about whether their car will pass inspection or something.
Balmer made his money in Seattle, little gift back to the city would polish his karma a bit.

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2019, 11:39:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

TP
people act like these owners are average joes, worried about whether their car will pass inspection or something.
Balmer made his money in Seattle, little gift back to the city would polish his karma a bit.
Billionaires got to be billionaires and stay billionaires by making intelligent business decisions.

Moving a team that in LA has a value of $2.2 billion to Seattle where it could instantly lose 20-40% of it's value, is as far from a smart business decision as you can get.

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 01:00:11 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

TP

When you think about how the league has evolved over the last 10 years with player movement, and the debate about what players should consider when they have to pick between teams, I have to wonder how Seattle would do in the current NBA.

Look at Golden State, pretty long period of time between Run-TMC and the Curry/Kerr teams where nobody thought about Golden State at all.  Now they're considered a major market and the allure of Silicon Valley connections is supposed to help influence players to want to be there.

Look at Miami.  They landed Riley in '95 and were able to field competitive teams most of the time through trades and were even able to win a championship with Wade/Shaq. Despite all that, I never heard Miami considered as a premier free agent destination until LeBron went there in 2010.  Posted this earlier in the thread, but in 2010 one betting site gave Miami the 4th worst odds out of 5 teams of landing LeBron.  Now all of the sudden, Miami is considered to have an unfair advantage over most of the league with their night life, weather, and no state income tax.

Anyways, that brings me back to Seattle.  No state income tax.  Tech hub.  One of the first marijuana friendly states.  13th largest US media market. Weather neither good or bad (rainy, but not too hot or too cold, better than 50% of the league? 75% of the league?).  Kind of wonder how they'd stack up in terms of appeal.  No way they'd have LA/NY appeal, but maybe Houston/Dallas/Philly level appeal, or more down in the middle of the list like Denver/Orlando level appeal?

And the city of Seattle could support an NBA team, Clay Bennett just wanted to move the team all along and didn't make a good faith effort to keep them there!  If only Seattle voted yes on public funding for arena renovations back in 2006, or if Bill Gates was an NBA fan, or if Jeff Bezos explosion of wealth came a few years earlier (was only worth a measly $3.6b in 2006, and to nick's point, Ballmer was worth $13.6b in '06, if he wanted an NBA team in Seattle, why didn't he buy them then when Shultz was looking for local ownership?).  Still interesting to think where the Seattle Supersonics would be today.  They'd certainly have more appeal than the dust bowl of OKC.  Would non-Clay Bennett ownership have paid to keep Harden?  Would Durant have stayed?  Or maybe they'd have gone in a completely different direction and never hired Presti.  All interesting things to think about.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 05:20:41 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
My view is his first choice is to opt in and trade to Boston. Second choice is to team up with Kyrie in New York. But I don't think he's goes to New York alone, if he goes alone then I can see the Clippers as the better choice due to their roster

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 05:55:01 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

TP
Billionaires got to be billionaires and stay billionaires by making intelligent business decisions.

Moving a team that in LA has a value of $2.2 billion to Seattle where it could instantly lose 20-40% of it's value, is as far from a smart business decision as you can get.
Exactly.  It would be extremely stupid and its not going to happen.  Ballmer is looking to move to a new arena in Inglewood which should increase the value of the Clippers. 

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 08:32:46 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Im calling it now, if Kyrie doesnt resign with the celtics, he goes to LAL with Durant and possibly Leonard.

I think this has been west's plan all along.

So the question is, would you accept Shai and Gallinari for Irving in a sign and trade?

That would leave LAC 15 mill UNDER the cap (signing Durant @38 mill and Irving @32 mill) and a team of:

Irving/Wallace
Shamet/Lou/Robinson
Durant/Thornwell
Harrell
Zubac

They could in theory round out the roster very nicely with additional players with that amount.

or
if they wanted to go completely foolish with it.
Use Harrell/Williams to try and land another star/near star player (perhaps if Horford were to opt out but agree to a sign and trade starting at 18 mill per season for Harrell as an example)

But back to original point, if I was West I would be asking/talking to Durant and Irving first and foremost, and asking Danny about a potential Shai and Gallinari trade for Irving if Irving decides to leave for LAL

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 09:05:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd dump Gallo to a third team but sure if Kyrie is walking I'd take SGA to facilitate it happening. They only need to dump Gallo to sign Kyrie/KD outright and they'll have a lot of other options to do so. So if you can get something for a player who is gone, do it.

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 09:35:08 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I'd dump Gallo to a third team but sure if Kyrie is walking I'd take SGA to facilitate it happening. They only need to dump Gallo to sign Kyrie/KD outright and they'll have a lot of other options to do so. So if you can get something for a player who is gone, do it.

Yeah, they only need to dump Gallo, but hey, they want Kyrie and Durant, then they need to get us to accept a trade of for Kyrie to accept a salary at multiple million less, or find another team to accept gallinari for essentially free.

IMO they would offer up Shai with Gallinari for Kyrie which nets them more capspace in the long run, and with Kyrie Shai is unneeded.