Author Topic: Wimbledon 2010  (Read 27763 times)

Re: Wimbledon 2010
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not sure what's going on with Fed having trouble lately with all these players he hadn't lost to in eons. Today is shaping up to be a good day for the underdogs. I'm happy for Berdych. Maybe Tsonga can pull of an upset too. With the Nadal/Soderling match I can't figure out which one should be the underdog.

He's 29, tennis is very much a young man's game.

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2010, 01:41:26 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Nadal wins. For sure I thought he had a much smaller chance of getting to the final than Fed. If he gets out of his half of the draw I'll be very impressed. Ugh Tsonga's implosion is getting real ugly now. Can't stand Murray. That "challenge" was a huge momentum killer.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Nadal wins. For sure I thought he had a much smaller chance of getting to the final than Fed. If he gets out of his half of the draw I'll be very impressed. Ugh Tsonga's implosion is getting real ugly now. Can't stand Murray. That "challenge" was a huge momentum killer.
I don't like him too. Of the four guys left, I would like to see Berdych win the title.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2010, 05:09:02 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I kind of like Berdych, too.  I also like Nadal, but grass (although he seems to have conquered it) is not his best surface.  The bounces must be getting pretty bad...the surface on the baselikne is pretty beaten up.  ;D  the grass by the net is much more lush...net points are getting farther and farther between, and shorter when they do come up...They haven't had any rain delays yet this year, have they?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2010, 10:31:07 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
Nice victory fore Vera. She didn't play smart tacticly in the first set, but improved in the second and started to exploit Pironkova's weaknesses. Hope she wouldn't be too nervous in the finals. We need her mentally prepared to face Sarena.

Pironkova has a world class backhand and with a better forehand could have been a top 10 player. But her forehand is not much better than mine and without improving it significantly, I don't think she can be a top player.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Nadal will win it all.  He's already beaten Federer in a Wimbledon final.  Imo Nadal is the second greatest player of all time after Federer.  Back later to defend statement.  (it's one of those comparing generation things with no real answer though)

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
Very very nice win for Vera. I'll be rooting for her in the final but she can't drop the 1st set against Serena like she's done the past couple of times and she has to stay focused.

I'm watching the replay of Fed getting absolutely pummeled by Berdych's forehand. Makes me really miss Gonzalez and Del Potro. With Fed being hit off the court on clay and grass I wonder what'll happen when the hardcourt season starts.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2010, 01:42:07 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes

:P
The Immortals:

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Serena looks close to getting through.  Darn, I hate being so busy...I keep missing everything!  I am Retired!  I am suppose to sit and watch!  At least I can watch the end of the match.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2010, 01:36:56 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
So we have a Nadal vs Berdych final. I will be very (pleasantly) surprised if Nadal won't take it.
The Immortals:

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2010, 01:42:08 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
So  would I, Misha, but this Wimbledon has been full of surprises....
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
So  would I, Misha, but this Wimbledon has been full of surprises....
Even bigger surprise will be if Vera can somehow beat Serena. I'm hopeful but not very optimistic.
The Immortals:

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
So we have a Nadal vs Berdych final. I will be very (pleasantly) surprised if Nadal won't take it.

Nadal won? Yay. I'm watching the NBC feed which is on delay - 2nd set tie-break. Good for Berdych getting to his first final but it's a tall order to win. The problem with Fed and Nadal on opposite sides of the draw is that it's really hard to take out both of them which is what it usually takes to win a slam. On grass and clay it seems practically impossible.

Vera is in both singles and doubles tomorrow. Very long shot but I hope she gets both.

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2010, 02:01:23 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Yeah...silly me!  I am watching NBC too...did't realize it was tape delay...are you sure?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
Sorry for the spoiler :)
The Immortals: