Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 89639 times)

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2020, 09:13:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Now for my team: Denver Nuggets:
PG: Gary Payton/Kyrie Irving
SG: Rip Hamilton
SF: Carmelo Anthony/Glenn Robinson
PF: Draymond Green
C: Tim Duncan/DeMarcus Cousins

If anyone has any suggestions/critiques, please let me know! If you feel like giving specific suggestions, you can pm me. I'd definitely appreciate it!
I think I'm just keep reposting this after every couple of rounds, just changing with each player I select.
I love that someone bit the bullet on DeMarcus Cousins. He was way too talented to be still on the board at this stage. You have a really interesting combination of personalities - in your face bulldogs like Payton and Green, lead-by-example types (that example being MVP level play) in Duncan, seemingly quiet guys in Rip and Robinson, and then two wildcards in Kyrie and DMC. I think the amount of leadership on your team would cool off DMC's tendencies, and maybe reign in Kyrie too. Who knows with that guy :P

In terms of playstyle I really like it. Draymond is the perfect partner for TD. Great mix of defence (Payton) and offence (Rip & Kyrie) in your backcourt, and Melo is one of the best scorers of the draft pool. Really solid all-round team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2020, 09:17:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
LA Clippers:

Now that I've added another bench piece, what do people think?

C: Joakim Noah / Andrew Bynum
PF: Elton Brand / Lamar Odom
SF: Grant Hill
SG: Michael Redd
PG: Steph Curry / Deron Williams
I know Bynum was a polarising pick, but what do people think of my team? What direction should I go with my two 9th round picks? I have a couple of guys I'm considering with the early one.

« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2020, 09:55:27 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
LA Clippers:

I know Bynum was a polarising pick, but what do people think of my team? What direction should I go with my two 9th round picks? I have a couple of guys I'm considering with the early one.

I like the Noah/Brand frontline. Great defense and overall toughness from those guys. Love Hill as the jack of all trades and Curry/Redd is a sweet shooting backcourt. Biggest issue I see is perimeter defense. I think there’s still some rotation guys available that could help with that. But I like what you’ve built so far.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2020, 01:08:19 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
LA Clippers:

In terms of talent, he's great. His attitude was... less than desirable. I'm saying this a person who pick Boogie Cousins tho, so... ;D. Anyways, your team could use a lockdown perimeter defender.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2020, 01:46:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
LA Clippers:

In terms of talent, he's great. His attitude was... less than desirable. I'm saying this a person who pick Boogie Cousins tho, so... ;D. Anyways, your team could use a lockdown perimeter defender.
Prime Boogie vs Prime Bynum would’ve been a sight to behold ;D

« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2020, 02:47:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Toronto Raptors

PG: Kyle Lowry, Kemba Walker
SG: Vince Carter
SF: Khris Middleton, Luol Deng
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: David Robinson, Vlade Divac
I'm curious to hear other people's takes on Khris Middleton too if he's more of a role player or an offense creator in this league.  I tend to think he's more of a role player in this league, but I think you think otherwise.
I'll start with my assessment of Middleton first due to his role on my team (he's my third/fourth option imo). I think his 2019-2020 season is as good as any All-NBA wing this century (or at least within shouting distance). His combination of strong wing scoring and creation in a portable skillset makes his offence quite valuable in this format, and he's also a strong wing defender who adds value to a defence.

Middleton's offence has been off the charts this season, here are his offensive numbers in a secondary role:
24 points per 75 possessions on +5.5% rTS and 4.65 assists per 75 on -2 rTO% (a negative number is a good thing in rTO%).

For comparison here are the dimensions of peak Paul Pierce in '06 and '08:
26.8 points per 75 possessions on +4.6% rTS and 4.725 assists per 75 on -0.7 rTO% in '06
21.6 points per 75 possessions on +5.9 rTS and 5.025 assists per 75 on +1.2 rTO% in '08.

Box numbers aren't the end all be all in measuring player impact, but Middleton holds his ground well against one of the best non-MVP wings this century both in offensive box numbers and the scouting report: Middleton can score on all three levels, create his own shot (here's an article on how skilled he is in the midrange, an area where stars use as a counter to defences: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/khris-middleton-is-the-best-at-making-basketballs-worst-shot/) and pass:
In addition to scoring, he's one of the Bucks' primary ballhandlers. He often initiates plays and gets the team into their basic offense or called set. He's also a criminally underrated playmaker. His assist percentage of 19.5 percent ranks in the 91st percentile among wings according to Cleaning the Glass. This is an area Budenholzer has taken advantage of especially in pick-and-rolls with Giannis Antetokounmpo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU2fUgcPilI

On the second attempt, Antetokounmpo set the pick for Middleton going toward the left wing. Middleton dribbled to the elbow and forced the roll-defender to square up and abandon his positioning on the slashing Greek Freak. With touch like an angel, Middleton drops a bounce pass right into Antetokounmpo's lap who goes all go-go gadget on the defense and slams home the jam.

At 6-foot-8, Middleton is often able to see over the defense and find open passing lanes that aren't available to everyone else. He also transfers the soft touch he shows on his jumper into his passes. His combination of scoring and dishing is unique, as he's one of only 28 NBA players averaging at least 18 points and 4 assists per game this season.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/briansampson/2019/04/11/the-many-hats-of-khris-middleton/#326b6d874a3a

All in all, I think Middleton is a fantastic third/fourth option in this format: he can play on or off the ball effectively as a very skilled offensive player.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:53:19 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2020, 03:42:33 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Toronto Raptors

Help me out by sharing more of your vision of your team.  How do you imagine your offense to run?  I feel like you drafted KG from the start because of his ability to be extremely productive while seamlessly fitting in along other stars.  So is he a "fitting in piece" or "focal piece" of your offense?  I think he has to become a focal piece because Lowry-VC-Middleton generated offense is not going to compete with the other offenses in this league, IMO.  So give us more of your take on how you imagine your offense to run and it will allow me to give a better assessment.
Ah what I meant by fitting in isn't in the sense of say a Draymond Green, I meant "fitting in" as an incredible second or third option. He would've been a "focal piece" even if I drafted say Steve Nash in the second round, he just wouldn't be the clear cut #1 on my team in this format.

My vision for the offence is pretty simple: surround a pretty good but not great offensive engine in Vince Carter with great "complementary pieces" who can shoot, pass and score to create a synergistic effect that mirrors an ensemble production like say the 2014 Spurs (7th best offence in the RS and the 2nd best in the playoffs), but with much better players. We'll pretty much go out there and run more traditional teams out of the gym: Lowry is a master at attacking defences that aren't set in transition with his craftiness, Vince was a transition monster in his early years, Garnett ran like an automaton after every defensive possession to score easy fastbreak baskets during his prime, ditto for Robinson (even an older Robinson was able to get up and down amazingly well to get to the bucket like a madman). There'll be plenty of long distance gunning to make that transition attack even more devastating: Garnett and Robinson were both capable shooters who'd be shooting threes today (there's even actual evidence out there for Garnett: he shot 32.5% from downtown from 1999-2002 on 277 attempts on a team that eschewed shooting or even practising them) while Lowry, Vince and Middleton all had volume three point shooting years of over 40%.

The halfcourt offence will be mainly a one-two punch of Carter and Garnett (especially when Carter is a good PnR ballhandler for a wing) with Lowry and Middleton alternating those third and fourth option slots depending on the matchup. There will likely be lots of screen action to pick at some specific matchups who can't handle either size/speed/athleticism/outside shooting (rn I'm liking the screen heavy offence of the 90s Jazz under Sloan for my team, but with a more modern twist), which imo will add extra value to my offence and buoy my team's offensive efficiency.

I don't expect my offence to be the best in this game, but I do expect it to be very good with how the pieces fit together in the modern game.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2020, 03:45:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Toronto Raptors

Without that, I initially think your starting offense could use a pinch more spark in it and Kemba would be a better starting PG with Lowry being your bench PG.  Kemba can move to SG in pinches if you want to play him and Lowry together, which I'm guessing you already envisioned.
I like Lowry's defence in the starting lineup so I'll start him in most matchups. And Lowry will be playing SG if I ever trot out a dual guard lineup, he's bulky enough to guard bigger players in a pinch.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2020, 03:51:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
LA Clippers:

I think a wing who can mix it up on both ends of the floor would be great for your team.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2020, 07:38:24 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Oklahoma City Thunder after 8 rounds.

PG: Jrue Holiday  / Isaiah Thomas
SG: Paul George /  Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Jermaine O'Neal
C : Ben Wallace

Still debating if JO would start over LMA, but for now, that's how it stands. Heck, maybe he can start over Ben Wallace too, although I like Big Ben's toughness and grit there for now.

Digging our IT4 pick, but it does kind of make Bradley Beal redundant, even though we like what he can bring as far as top flight scoring and a little bit of playmaking.

I am really digging your team after your last few picks.

I was a bit unsure about LMA and Big Ben but getting JO so late in the draft to create a three man big man rotation was awesome (regardless of who starts and who doesn't). I also loved the Beal and Isaiah pickups because they add real firepower to your offense which is great for a team that didn't land a LeBron type.

Jrue Holiday was a fantastic pickup as well. Defense, size, scoring and some playmaking. Just so well rounded at PG. Perfect for your team.

I just love the way everything is coming together for your squad. Lots of defense. Lots of scorers. Team orientated players. Great mix of talent.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:46:01 AM by Who »

« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2020, 08:24:55 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
C - Joel Embiid / Tyson Chandler
PF - Dirk Nowitzski
SF - Gordon Hayward / Andre Iguodala
SG - Victor Oladipo
PG - Tony Parker / John Wall

Added Tyson Chandler as a defensive anchor and John Wall as the 2nd unit PG.

I have 3 Finals MVPs, added a big PG in JW and he played well defensively and can score.

Tyson can also serve as a mentor to Embiid and has a Championship connection to Dirk.
I'm a fan of the team considering that you got a pretty difficult cornerstone to build around. Adequate defence in the starting 5 and some decent offensive pieces who don't clash with Dirk's game a ton. Not sure where you'd rank rn, but I'm confident that your team will be a scrappy matchup for any side.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2020, 08:32:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Toronto Raptors

I think your defence is stacked. Top 2 defence for me, find it very hard to differentiate between your defence and the one anchored by TD and Draymond with Payton at guard. You probably have better wing defence though.

On offence I love the addition of Kemba. He's an All-NBA level guy based mostly off his offensive prowess, and he'll keep teams on their toes for sure. I think a bigger defensive guard alongside him would help (like a couple of guys you've mentioned in PMs), and a 3P shooter at the 4 if possible. Deng is an average shooter, and Divac is better suited to the high-post and the mid-range. We all know that Kemba is a great shooter, but he's also amazing at getting to the hoop and the mid-range game. A guy who can help spread the floor there would be really handy, and would allow for potential small-ball flexibility with KG at the 5

« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2020, 08:40:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Toronto Raptors

I think your defence is stacked. Top 2 defence for me, find it very hard to differentiate between your defence and the one anchored by TD and Draymond with Payton at guard. You probably have better wing defence though.

On offence I love the addition of Kemba. He's an All-NBA level guy based mostly off his offensive prowess, and he'll keep teams on their toes for sure. I think a bigger defensive guard alongside him would help (like a couple of guys you've mentioned in PMs), and a 3P shooter at the 4 if possible. Deng is an average shooter, and Divac is better suited to the high-post and the mid-range. We all know that Kemba is a great shooter, but he's also amazing at getting to the hoop and the mid-range game. A guy who can help spread the floor there would be really handy, and would allow for potential small-ball flexibility with KG at the 5
I've got that guy ready :laugh:. I fear that the bigger defensive guards would get gobbled up before my tenth round pick, but I can always find some if I dig deep enough lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2020, 08:44:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Toronto Raptors

I've got that guy ready :laugh:. I fear that the bigger defensive guards would get gobbled up before my tenth round pick, but I can always find some if I dig deep enough lol.
There are a few defensive beast guards who I think might fall into the 10th, mainly due to an absolute lack of offensive game in some instances

« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2020, 08:44:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Toronto Raptors

There are a few defensive beast guards who I think might fall into the 10th, mainly due to an absolute lack of offensive game in some instances
Not sure if I want that lol, I lack offence already. I do have some 3 and D guards on my shortlist though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA