Author Topic: Concerning development in David West deal: JJJ and E'Tuan???  (Read 14935 times)

Re: Concerning development in David West deal: JJJ and E'Tuan???
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm excited to see JJJ develop as a player for the Celtics... if he remains with the Celtics. If JJJ is shipped to NOH, then so be it. At this point, he is nothing but potential, and worth trading to NOH if it brings back a player of West's caliber.

Same goes for Bradley, Moore, etc.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 09:52:10 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

You should always take the guaranteed quality players over the potential quality players.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think it makes much sense if NO just needs contract filler. I know that most don't care too much about JJJ, but it would be nice to have a young, athletic big on the team working hard behind the scenes and maybe have something when everybody else retires. He may not be the next Garnett, but I wouldn't mind having learn from KG and see where it goes from there.

Plus, if they're getting Patrick Patterson from Houston, they don't need JJJ, right?
where'd the Patterson report come from Roy?

One of the names mentioned today as one of the new "young players" that Houston added to the package.  I can't remember who mentioned it...  Sean Deveney, maybe?
forgive me if I seem a bit dense on this, but that would mean NO pulls the trigger on the LA/HOU deal and then flips Patterson to us?  If that's the case, I think I'd rather keep JJJ.

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think it makes much sense if NO just needs contract filler. I know that most don't care too much about JJJ, but it would be nice to have a young, athletic big on the team working hard behind the scenes and maybe have something when everybody else retires. He may not be the next Garnett, but I wouldn't mind having learn from KG and see where it goes from there.

Plus, if they're getting Patrick Patterson from Houston, they don't need JJJ, right?

One of the names mentioned today as one of the new "young players" that Houston added to the package.  I can't remember who mentioned it...  Sean Deveney, maybe?
forgive me if I seem a bit dense on this, but that would mean NO pulls the trigger on the LA/HOU deal and then flips Patterson to us?  If that's the case, I think I'd rather keep JJJ.

No, New Orleans would be getting Patterson, and presumably keeping him.  If they're (the Hornets) getting one PF from Houston, plus Scola, maybe they don't need JJJ from us.

(As for the issue of Patterson vs. JJJ, I'd prefer Patterson myself.  But regardless, there's no rumor that we're getting him.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

One of the names mentioned today as one of the new "young players" that Houston added to the package.  I can't remember who mentioned it...  Sean Deveney, maybe?
forgive me if I seem a bit dense on this, but that would mean NO pulls the trigger on the LA/HOU deal and then flips Patterson to us?  If that's the case, I think I'd rather keep JJJ.

No, New Orleans would be getting Patterson, and presumably keeping him.  If they're (the Hornets) getting one PF from Houston, plus Scola, maybe they don't need JJJ from us.

(As for the issue of Patterson vs. JJJ, I'd prefer Patterson myself.  But regardless, there's no rumor that we're getting him.)
Thanks for the clarification Roy -- much appreciated

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 10:12:27 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I guess I'm in the minority here in saying that I don't want to give up either Johnson or Moore in this deal.  West is an unrestricted free agent and free to sign with whomever he wants.  He's looking to maximize his contract and the only way to really do that (considering that teams are concerned about his injury) is via a sign and trade deal.  If we deal JO and Pavlovic and then New Orleans flips JO to a team with cap space, then they receive back a 6+ mill trade exception.  The aforementioned is enough of a return in a deal like this.  I don't see why we need to give up any young players.  If anything, send them protected 2nd round picks for 2016 and 2017 if they request something else.

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 10:34:57 PM »

Offline 5.9.20.34.43

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
Agreed.

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I really believe that JJJ is going to be a very very good pro....he's 22 not 31 and could be a
big part of the team's future.....more than Green or Bass

Might be like the other J johnson given up ten years ago for Delk and Rodney Rogers

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 10:42:56 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
This is a case of throwing all our resources at bringing home one last championship with this core group. The rookies never played a game for us and JO will be fortunate to stay healthy enough to play for us. I'm not sure how the people who oppose this trade can attach themselves to players they've never seen play on this level. Every first rounder has either upside or size. 32 players are drafted in the first round every year and only a handful become legit all stars, let alone starters in this league, and we'd be giving up two unknowns for 1 proven veteran that really can help us. Also, it clears a couple more roster spots to add more help with hopefully more known value than rookies or second year players that we have hanging around the bottom of the depth chart. This is an all or nothing situation, and I think Danny is pulling off some masterful strokes so far--proven role players, veterans to win now.

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 11:01:34 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Just wanted to add to my previous post in saying that the Knicks acquired Chandler in a sign-and-trade deal, and all they had to give up was Turiaf (which would be O'neal in our case), some cash, and Andy Rautins (who isn't an NBA caliber player).  They didn't have to part with a 1st-round talent like Shumpert, but yet we have to part with Johnson?  Doesn't really make any sense.

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I guess I'm in the minority here in saying that I don't want to give up either Johnson or Moore in this deal.  West is an unrestricted free agent and free to sign with whomever he wants.  He's looking to maximize his contract and the only way to really do that (considering that teams are concerned about his injury) is via a sign and trade deal.  If we deal JO and Pavlovic and then New Orleans flips JO to a team with cap space, then they receive back a 6+ mill trade exception.  The aforementioned is enough of a return in a deal like this.  I don't see why we need to give up any young players.  If anything, send them protected 2nd round picks for 2016 and 2017 if they request something else.
Unfortunately only contenders would want JO and they're all over the cap or real close to it so getting that trade exception doesn't exist as an enticement.  That, and JO wants to be waived by NO so he can sign with Miami. 

I agree with keeping JJJ if possible.  I'd rather send out 1 or 2 of those high second round picks they have coming in the next few drafts.

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
We are possibly acquiring a two-time All-Star at an absolute bargain salary and we are worried about the 27th and 55th picks in one of the worst drafts in NBA history?  Really?

I'd trade 500 JaJuan Johnsons for 1 David West.

If JaJuan was so incredible, Danny wouldn't have waited so long into the draft to get him and risk him being taken.  Plenty of teams were practically giving away draft picks this last draft was so bad.

The odds of anyone picked 27th or 55th making the All-Star game twice are incredibly miniscule.  

Is this the same school of thought that said we were giving up too much by including Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, and draft picks in the KG trade?  Get the proven vet, dump the draft picks.  How is JR Giddens doing anyway?

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2011, 11:09:10 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
If we get West would rather trade Bass and keep Jjuan. Bass is a very affordable contract; but may have been because he wanted to be with a contender.

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 11:12:28 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Get the proven vet, dump the draft picks.  How is JR Giddens doing anyway?
I hear he's balling it up with Jerome Moiso, Kedrick Brown and Joe Forte on "thank god we drafted them" tour.

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2011, 11:13:09 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
If we get West would rather trade Bass and keep Jjuan. Bass is a very affordable contract; but may have been because he wanted to be with a contender.

interesting

u feel like this is the place to be if you want a chance of the ring..

why everybody else we asked to visit is like no?

cant they see the light

or the see only they own lite...