Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127424 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #405 on: March 31, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
what also fosters hostility in fans is that Danny gave up our starting championship center (who we are STILL trying to replace) and that we, for some completely irrational reason, gave away a probable championship in the process
This is a gross overstatement.

Agree 100%, but I learned a long time ago there's no point in trying to talk sense with the Perk fan club. Some people will just never get over that trade.

« Reply #406 on: March 31, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Randolph is better than Perk right now.

« Reply #407 on: March 31, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
as usual, you miss the point of the value of Kendrick Perkins - and calling 2011 a probable championship is hardly a "gross overstatement." we were leading the East at the time and rolling.

but I also have learned that there is no sense trying to explain the value of Perk to people who don't understand basketball beyond the superficial numbers in a box score.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:29:00 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #408 on: March 31, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
as usual, you miss the point of the value of Kendrick Perkins - and calling 2011 a probable championship is hardly a "gross overstatement." we were leading the East at the time and rolling.

but I have also learned long ago that there is no sense trying to explain to the value of Perk to this Celtics group to people who don't understand basketball beyond the superficial numbers in a box score.

I would suggest refraining from bringing up Perkins in a JEFF GREEN IS AWESOME thread, but whatever :D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #409 on: March 31, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

but I have also learned long ago that there is no sense trying to explain to the value of Perk to this Celtics group to people who don't understand basketball beyond the superficial numbers in a box score.

I would suggest refraining from bringing up Perkins in a JEFF GREEN IS AWESOME thread, but whatever :D

have you read all the comments in this thread - it has hardly been a coronation of Jeff Green.

« Reply #410 on: March 31, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
what also fosters hostility in fans is that Danny gave up our starting championship center (who we are STILL trying to replace) and that we, for some completely irrational reason, gave away a probable championship in the process
This is a gross overstatement.

Agree 100%.
It is against Blog rules to disrespect the opinions of other posters.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #411 on: March 31, 2013, 06:38:03 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Please refrain from disrespecting others opinions.  If you have a question, please report a thread instead of escalating things by retaliating in kind.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #412 on: March 31, 2013, 06:38:30 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

have you read all the comments in this thread - it has hardly been a coronation of Jeff Green.

At least they've been saying how Jeff Green is NOT awesome. Can't we get over the fact that Perkins' and Green's fates are not binded? Perkins hasn't been a Celtic for a while now, and I could care less how he is.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #413 on: March 31, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39

but I also have learned that there is no sense trying to explain the value of Perk to people who don't understand basketball beyond the superficial numbers in a box score.

How many games did the Heat score 100+ points in that series?
How many games did the Celtics score 90+ points in that series?
How many times were we unable to contain Lebron?

The problem wasn't defense from the center position.  The problem was we couldn't score.
Now unless you somehow think Perkins is the equivalent to Kareem or Wilt, you can't possibly think Perkins would have made a different. 
Defense was not the problem, bench scoring and back up SF was what we needed

What WAS the problem was Green was a mental midget and it's taken him three years to get his head back on after what was apparently a traumatic life style change for him.

« Reply #414 on: March 31, 2013, 09:50:41 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
If hes taking 18 to 20 shots a game.. we are in trouble, unless PP is retired and we have another superstar getting 25-30 sag. not called rajon rondo who will be passing 15 asssits a game.

Jeff has 27 on 10-14 shooting right now
just a btw

he's extremely efficient. He also had 23 by the end of the third.
is 25ppg a stretch? sure...but I think 20-22 with ease

« Reply #415 on: March 31, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
If hes taking 18 to 20 shots a game.. we are in trouble, unless PP is retired and we have another superstar getting 25-30 sag. not called rajon rondo who will be passing 15 asssits a game.

Jeff has 27 on 10-14 shooting right now
just a btw

he's extremely efficient. He also had 23 by the end of the third.
is 25ppg a stretch? sure...but I think 20-22 with ease

Most of his misses were on treys too. Efficient, by all means. I love how he may be the only volume shooter on this team who doesn't spam mid-range jumpers. He shoots the efficient layups/dunks and three-pointers. Smart player.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #416 on: March 31, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
This is a random thought, but I'll present it anyways:

When KG returns, I hope Doc runs PnPs for Jeff with one of KG/Pierce/Bass.  Jeff is a great finisher around the basket, and the other three can shoot well, so I think it would be effective.  Green might not be the best passer, but if the defense collapses on him, I'd trust him to make the right play.

« Reply #417 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

How many games did the Heat score 100+ points in that series?
How many games did the Celtics score 90+ points in that series?
How many times were we unable to contain Lebron?

The problem wasn't defense from the center position.  The problem was we couldn't score.
Now unless you somehow think Perkins is the equivalent to Kareem or Wilt, you can't possibly think Perkins would have made a different. 
Defense was not the problem, bench scoring and back up SF was what we needed

What WAS the problem was Green was a mental midget and it's taken him three years to get his head back on after what was apparently a traumatic life style change for him.

immediately after Perk's departure, our interior defense numbers declined significantly - opponents scoring in the lane area increased.

we also lost a significant part of our defensive persona and physicality, which was our advantage over Miami or Chicago. Lebron and Wade would have had a much harder time driving down a clogged lane with Perkins there, never mind the fact that they would have been looking both ways after Perk put them on their backs a few times - the same way the Lakers backed off in 1984.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:39:19 PM by tenn_smoothie »

« Reply #418 on: March 31, 2013, 10:55:13 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

Please refrain from disrespecting others opinions.  If you have a question, please report a thread instead of escalating things by retaliating in kind.

thirsty - my comment was about basketball - I did not personally attack anyone. i'll certainly follow the rules, but this is getting to the point of not even being able to debate basketball opinions, like the fact that I thought Kendrick Perkins has more value to this Celtics team than other posters do. isn't that kind of the point of a discussion bulletin board ?

« Reply #419 on: March 31, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
great game by jeff. At this rate if he can do this in the playoffs and PP production stays the same it leaves the celts with no choice but to buyout pierce for the start of next year.

Probably knowing danny he won't lose him for nothing, sign him and trade him by trade deadline or make one more run. After this year or next, should be PP's last. Jeff green is 90 percent arrived as our next sf in my books