Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127481 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
There was a recent game during which Green spent much of 3rd or 4th quarter on the bench grabbing his chest as if in pain.

That was because he got hit in the chest by one of the Nuggets' players.

« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
There was a recent game during which Green spent much of 3rd or 4th quarter on the bench grabbing his chest as if in pain.

Hey, don't ruin my narrative, it's more dramatic.

« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315

I saw this too, but I was hoping he was grabbing or placing his left wrist on his chest and it was his wrist that was in pain not his chest.

Or Jeff was just trying to calm down a fast racing heart?

« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Hey, don't ruin my narrative, it's more dramatic.

My apologies; however, if you really wanted to make it dramatic, you should've included the phrase, "it was a heart stopping moment."

« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
oh, ok..

I guess the only other question is, why has his play been so much better since the rondo injury?

did he click a mental swtich and is finally coming into his own?(which would be my hope)

or is it from a style of play more conducive to his skillset w/o rondo...I'e more freedom to make plays and handle the ball

Sullinger probably did more to improve Green's play than Rondo's. It freed up a logjam of Sully/Green/Bass and gave Bass and Green steadier minutes.
And I still say the bounce up in play of many individuals has more to do with them looking in the mirror and saying to thenselves after the rash of injuries:

"Am I giving this team everything I can or can I give more?" and then turned up the effort that should have been there in the first place and made this team one of the top 4 contending for a title this year. Many players started playing much better and it has to do with a more determined effort and commitment that wasn't there before the Rondo injury.

There's definitely more effort from some of the players since Rondo's been out. There was also PP and Terry getting somewhat healthier. But not having set lineups, set rotations, set roles or consistent minutes for players will have a negative effect on the team as well.

So we're back to the "more effort" myth.

And the accompanying "if I don't see something everyone who does see it is wrong" rebuttal.

And I've kept asking the questions, keep pointing to different facets that disprove the assessment, and there's yet to be anything that resembles a proper counter to those points.

You've disagreed with claims which isn't the same thing as disproving them.

More than anything we've been seeing a phenomenon that was already happening within the 2nd unit, particularly since January began, well before Rondo went down.

I'd say what we're seeing has been going on in fits and starts since mid-December, just more consistently.

The only player that is noticeably playing harder is Bass, but I don't think that has much to do with Rondo. A case can be made for Green, yet that proposes we ignore that vast improvement we were already noticing in January before Rondo went down compared to the earlier portions of the season, and it suggest we ignore the overall defensive effort that has been in place for most of the year.

Who exactly is playing with more effort?

Bass, as you say. Pierce and Terry were definitely playing harder although Danny said they were playing through injuries in January. Lee and Green are definitely playing more aggressively and more consistently. Even KG's been pulling down more rebounds. The players have also clearly been more focused on defenses in terms of fewer missed assignments and missed rotations. Players are also making more of an effort to get into the front court in transition.

« Reply #305 on: February 25, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Jeff Green needs to start.  Period.  Doc is so foolish for continually believing that Bass is a starter in this league and that Green is a bench/role player.  Switch their roles, and let's see this play out.  Some guys aren't meant to be caged, and Green should be starting.  I think Doc is an overrated moron...but that's just me.

« Reply #306 on: March 06, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Beat it. Jeff Green outdueled All-Star Paul George tonight, hit the game-winner.

He's on a roll, and you can't say he's not in consideration to storm this league in a few years, right? Believe in Green.

You can't even say, "but you can't trust him in late-game scenarios" now.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #307 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:45 PM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Jeff Green needs to start.  Period.  Doc is so foolish for continually believing that Bass is a starter in this league and that Green is a bench/role player.  Switch their roles, and let's see this play out.  Some guys aren't meant to be caged, and Green should be starting.  I think Doc is an overrated moron...but that's just me.

I don't understand all of this hate for Bass and Doc. If we are winning why change it? I think Jeff Green coming in for Pierce so he can rest is better than him starting at PF. Bass hardly plays as much anymore with Green playing better as of late. It doesn't matter who starts it only matters who ends the game.

« Reply #308 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jeff Green has been much improved over the last few months, I've been really impressed.  I can honestly say that he might very well be earning his contract, and also be a viable part of the team going forward.

He will never be a top 5 SF in this league, though.  James, Durant, and Anthony will still be the top 3 SF's 5 years from now.  That leaves two spots.

Rudy Gay is better, and likely will continue to be.  Paul George is better already, younger, and will likely only get better.  Kawhi Leonard, is also younger, and has a brighter future.  Same for Harrison Barnes.  Those are just the names off the top of my head that Green has to compete with, I'm sure there are others.

Top 5, not likely.  Top 10, real possiblity.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:48:35 PM by KGs Knee »

« Reply #309 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:11 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Doc played Bass for 19 minutes tonight, and Green for 34.

Oh, and I take Green over Gay.

« Reply #310 on: March 07, 2013, 01:02:02 AM »

Offline LakersForDays

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 26
This kid has flashed moments of brilliance of already. You guys have a gem on your hands IMO. Even the great "Big Game James" has acknowledged him.

« Reply #311 on: March 07, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101

I saw this too, but I was hoping he was grabbing or placing his left wrist on his chest and it was his wrist that was in pain not his chest.

Or Jeff was just trying to calm down a fast racing heart?

As one who would know, initially if you get hit on the wires around the sternum, it hurts like you have been stabbed. After a few years it will sting and be sore but not be anywhere near as bad

« Reply #312 on: March 07, 2013, 03:32:51 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
  I think Doc is an overrated moron...but that's just me.

An overrated moron that you probably would have dissed out even harder if he and Armond Hill hadnt won the game with that beautiful play at the end.

Sigh.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #313 on: March 07, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Jeff Green is a peacock you gotta let him flyyyyyyyyyyyy!

« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2013, 07:21:13 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You know why I don't think Green will be a top five SF?  Because the talent at that position is VERY good right now and for the future.  LeBron, Melo, George, Gay, etc.  these guys are better than Green right now, and will still be better in two years.

Look, I like Jeff, but he is NEVER going to be a top five SF.

That awkward moment when you only count four.

And George and Gay aren't going to be guaranteed better. The only two guaranteed are LeBron and KD.
Green is on the level of George, Batum, and MAYBE Gay.
So apart from LBJ, KD, and Melo, it's George, Green, Batum, Gay.

Is he top two out of those four? We can only hope. But I think he will be.

That awkward moment when you don't have any answers to my argument and try to nitpick.

You can add KD to that list.  Gay is going to be better than Green and so is George.

Gay and George are FAR better than Green right now.

Batum and Green are probably on the same level.

Green can never get better than Batum, Gay, or George?

And before the other night you probably would say the Celtics had no chance to beat the Pacers either.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/03/07/jeff-green-layup-caps-improbable-celtics-comeback-against-pacers/LembB3nqQHijP3VzOhhqvJ/story.html

There are no absolutes in sports.  JG has innate talent, but whether or not he can bring it out is up to him.  Gay is asked to be the #1 option in Toronto.  JG hasn't had to do that yet.  Not when we have Pierce and KG still. 

But it speaks volumes to me that the game ending play was drawn up involving JG as the finisher and KG had no hesitation delivering the ball to Green who won the game with all the marbles on the line.