Author Topic: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?  (Read 11878 times)

Re: what would you give up for Anderson Varejao?
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2012, 09:34:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why are people calling him andy like hes a personal friend?

Decent role player, that's it
Because Andy is easier to type than Varejao.

That's why I go Sideshow.

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He's on a rampage through the league - the Cavs will be asking for the moon. But everyone else in the league is going to be terrified that Varejao goes down for the season after they overpay for him.

I think there will be too much distance between the Cavs' estimation of Varejao and the available buyers' ability to pay for a bargain to be struck. 

Sadly, I predict that Varejao will spend his golden years toiling for one of the worst rosters in the league.

Why are they one of the worst rosters in the league?  They have one of the best young players in the league, and a ton of assets.  I really don't think Cleveland gets enough credit for the position they are in right now.  They have their superstar, and are poised to surround him with very good players.  Just give it a little time.

Starters

Cleveland has a star PG in the making in Kyrie Irving and an above average starting big man in Varejao (30 years old, only played a combined 56 games in last two seasons). .

Their other three starters (Waiters, Gee, T.Thompson) are amongst the worst in the league at their positions. Tristan Thompson is an amazing athlete with little to no basketball skills. Dion Waiters is struggling mightily to create offense (36% FG%). Alonzo Gee lacks the size/athleticism and skill-level to make it as a starting SF in the league.

There is some potential there with Thompson and Waiters but neither look like sure-things at this point. Alonzo Gee is a solid bench player who is being asked to fill too large a role.

Bench

Little of note on the bench - Jeremy Pargo, Daniel Gibson, CJ Miles, Omri Casspi, Sandro Samuels, Tyler Zeller, Jon Leuer.

One of the worst benches in the league.

Overall

This is a weak team with a lot of uncertainty about it's future (outside of Kyrie Irving).

"Roster" was a bad choice of words.  Yeah, they do have a terrible roster.  But unlike many other bad rosters, they have the means to quickly become a very good roster.  They have more movable assets (good contracts, young talented players, cap space, draft picks) than just about any team in the league, and they have a potential superstar already on their roster. 

While they are not good right now, with a couple smart moves, they could make a VERY quick turnaround.  I think they have a better shot at being a top 4 team in the East within 2 years, than a large portion of the conference. 

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Cav's potential is tied up in Waiters/Thompson, do they develop and become impact players.

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2012, 09:43:25 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
While they are not good right now, with a couple smart moves, they could make a VERY quick turnaround.  I think they have a better shot at being a top 4 team in the East within 2 years, than a large portion of the conference.

With their cap space, all they need is a max contract-level talent who wants to play in Cleveland.  That shouldn't be too hard to find, right?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Pretty sure he goes by Anderson for a reason

Av seems simple.....do we call kg kev? Or his sideshow twin joakim Noah joak?

I just don't think anyone here knows varejao to be calling him andy

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Av seems simple.....do we call kg kev?
His own coach calls him Andy, if you listen to the game broadcast other players on the court call him Andy when they want the ball or his attention. Sportscenter anchors and the like will call him Andy, I don't get your hangup on this.

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

His own coach calls him Andy, if you listen to the game broadcast other players on the court call him Andy when they want the ball or his attention. Sportscenter anchors and the like will call him Andy, I don't get your hangup on this.

They're his teammates and friends? I don't think sportscenter anchors should be calling him andy either.
That said my biggest gripe or hang up is how overrated he is here. My god.

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2012, 09:55:30 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

They're his teammates and friends? I don't think sportscenter anchors should be calling him andy either.

So no more Shaq either?

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

So no more Shaq, or Kobe, or Lebron, either?

Shaq was a superstar and it made sense..he was a household name. Varejao is a decent role player who goes by Anderson. I didn't realize Kobe or lebron were shortened versions of their name? Oh yeah they're not but I'm glad we are comparing a borderline scrub to 3 hall of famers
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:04:29 AM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

So no more Shaq, or Kobe, or Lebron, either?

Shaq was a superstar and it made sense..he was a household name. Varejao is a decent role player who goes by Anderson. I didn't realize Kobe or lebron were shortened versions of their name? Oh yeah they're not

No offense, but how about we let Andy complain about it.  It seems a bit ridiculous to be offended by something like this, when he has never said anything against it. 

People call athletes by nicknames all the time. 

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2012, 10:41:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
While Andy seems like a tempramental guy, he'd fit in well in Boston.

I remember once, when me and Andy had gone out fishin down to the holler, and he says to me he says, 'Indy, I gotta tell you, if I could play for one basketball team, it'd be Boston. I just have so much respect for Kev, and Raj, and Jase, and Jare, and Dan, and Doc and Paul, I just think I'd take to that like a crawfish in applesauce."

And I looked at him in his precious eyes and I said, "You sure would, Andy. You sure would."

But to answer the OP's question, probably not enough for Cleveland. I wouldn't trade Rondo, Pierce, Bradley, or Garnett for Varejao, so I have to think its a non-starter.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'd love the guy here.  I'd move anybody other than our current "big three" for him.  I'd be reluctant to include Bradley, but would move Sully without hesitation.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
For the Celtics Varejao would be an instant impact player. He already plays balls to wall 100% and is used to EAST COAST banging with likes of Noah.

Can't trade Pierce or KG.  Its hard to give up Bradley, Sully or Rondo  the future.  I don't think they would take Bass and Lee for Varejao ...I wouldn't .   

Unless DA is willing to give up some sort Rondo , Sully or Bradley deal , I doubt they would bite.

Still , it would nice to add , Varrejao, Gasol or JSmooth ...  just believe the C's need this extra high grade big man to muscle past the Knicks , Nets and Pacers/

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Sully,Lee, Melo and a first for Varejao and a throw in works for both sides. Seems like alot to give up from the Celtics point of view but Danny seems too intent on getting the big three another title not to make a trade like that.

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Hes not even a Reggie Evans. Who I will now start calling reg and ill call gortat Marc....I just find it funny celtics fans are drooling over a decent role player...some willing to give up rondo and addressing him like hes a household name kind of talent. Reminds me of when we signed lee (who of course ill start calling court) and you'd think it was a prime Michael Jordan.