Author Topic: MARCUS MORRIS-competitive practices," bench with attitude"  (Read 1882 times)

MARCUS MORRIS-competitive practices," bench with attitude"
« on: October 11, 2018, 04:19:13 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Last year Morris came straight from a summer of court issues, to a new team full of new players and suffered a series of lingering injuries.
Morris might wind up the most improved player,the scoring anchor of the 2nd unit and a rugged defender with Smart, Baynes and Rozier.That 2nd team can consistently add points,grow leads or make up for cold starts

Re: MARCUS MORRIS-competitive practices," bench with attitude"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 06:55:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Meh.  It's a hit-or-miss league.  Any of those bench guys can go cold and several at a time is very possible.

I love the BWA, but let's not kid ourselves.  They need another scorer like Jamal Crawford for certain situations.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 07:36:43 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Meh.  It's a hit-or-miss league.  Any of those bench guys can go cold and several at a time is very possible.

I love the BWA, but let's not kid ourselves.  They need another scorer like Jamal Crawford for certain situations.
A scorer would be a nice but IMO it is not a necessary addition.
These needs can be resolved with good rotation management and we have the best man alive for that task in CBS.

Jamal is a seriously overrated player. Especially now when he is this old. In truth, he is physically weak, can't defend, and isn't much of an off-ball threat.
People act like he is 27 and not on his last legs. That guy could help us.
Guys that just do one thing, score with the ball in their hands, are easily overrun.
I always thought that it is the 9 deep teams consisting of versatility win a playoff series and titles.
Not the ones with one trick ponies.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
During the preseason, I thought several bench guys like Smart and Morris looked better than the starters because they came to play. 

Unearned nicknames are well, ridiculous.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Last year Morris came straight from a summer of court issues, to a new team full of new players and suffered a series of lingering injuries.
Morris might wind up the most improved player,the scoring anchor of the 2nd unit and a rugged defender with Smart, Baynes and Rozier.That 2nd team can consistently add points,grow leads or make up for cold starts

I think this is correct.  Morris is a valuable player who seemed to be injured all last year.  I don't know what his durability will be like this year but he should play a valuable role.

I guess he is a swing but I expect he will see major minutes as a big.  He is not a great rebounder but can defend bigger players.  He will not give us rim protection (a phrase I actually hate, it really just means a good team defender who knows how to help).  If he could improve on the team defense and rebounding (which could mean just keeping his man off the boards) even a little, I think he could start as the second big alongside Horford (in place of Baynes if they decide to start two bigs).  He will likely come off the bench but I suspect he will see good minutes.

Our big depth is thin.  Morris is a major part of the big rotation, for better or for worse.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:07 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I don't know any more than anyone else what Stevens will do this year, but I would have to guess that the team has a new set of problems that are best solved by having the starters spread out more, and taking on more of the shots for the second unit.

It just isn't good for the franchise to have Brown and Tatum taking 10 shots or less a game.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:26:24 AM by td450 »

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm not as high on the bench as many around here.  I think they should be good defensively but offensively they depend on three inefficient players in smart, rozier, and morris.  Performance is more about the sum of the parts, and I have questions about their offensive identity.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
This team does not have a shooter on the bench who can score..if hayward or Irving goes down like last year, we in trouble..defense is great but still got to score to win
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I think Rozier will be able to fill that scorer off the bench this year.  He was inconsistent and often looked uncertain of his role coming off the bench last season and then flourished as a starter.  I think that will carry over to his bench role this year.  I liked what I've seen from him in the preseason.  Of course with Hayward back, their offense will be stronger anyway... eventually.

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I think we will miss Shane Larkin -a pest on defense and a change of pace point guard.Not very excited with our guards after Marcus and Rozier.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Morris for me was disappointing last year in the playoffs, which was surprising as he had several high scoring games towards the end of the regular season.  He may just be a streaky player, but as long as the D is always there that’s fine as we should have plenty of scoring anyway.

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As others have said, I think Stevens will rotate starters into 5 man groupings with the bench to give the highest quality of play across all 5 man groupings. If Stevens uses a 10 man rotation, I seriously doubt we will see all the starters out and all the bench guys into unless it's the 4th quarter of a blowout.

I could easily see Brown and Tatum playing lots of the 2nd and 4th quarters with both starters and bench players and see players like Smart, Morris, Baynes, Rozier, and Ojeleye get switched in the 1st and 3rd quarters to get run alongside Hayward, Kyrie and Horford.

That way all 4 main scorers Kyrie, Hayward, Brown and Tatum will be able to get the most good shots possible.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I think we will miss Shane Larkin -a pest on defense and a change of pace point guard.Not very excited with our guards after Marcus and Rozier.

Loved Larkin's ball pressure, and how he pushed the ball early in the clock; but his size got exploited on defense and he was a mediocre finisher. With Wanamaker, Danny has kind of gone the other direction; at his size, he has a better chance of standing his ground.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 01:21:25 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
As others have said, I think Stevens will rotate starters into 5 man groupings with the bench to give the highest quality of play across all 5 man groupings. If Stevens uses a 10 man rotation, I seriously doubt we will see all the starters out and all the bench guys into unless it's the 4th quarter of a blowout.

I could easily see Brown and Tatum playing lots of the 2nd and 4th quarters with both starters and bench players and see players like Smart, Morris, Baynes, Rozier, and Ojeleye get switched in the 1st and 3rd quarters to get run alongside Hayward, Kyrie and Horford.

That way all 4 main scorers Kyrie, Hayward, Brown and Tatum will be able to get the most good shots possible.

I think it's a good idea to have at least two of these four on the court at all times (except in blowouts).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

A scorer would be a nice but IMO it is not a necessary addition.
These needs can be resolved with good rotation management and we have the best man alive for that task in CBS.

Jamal is a seriously overrated player. Especially now when he is this old. In truth, he is physically weak, can't defend, and isn't much of an off-ball threat.
People act like he is 27 and not on his last legs. That guy could help us.
Guys that just do one thing, score with the ball in their hands, are easily overrun.
I always thought that it is the 9 deep teams consisting of versatility win a playoff series and titles.
Not the ones with one trick ponies.
Okay, fair point about Crawford, FWIW I didn't put a lot of thought into picking a scorer, but hopefully you seem my point:  I think it's more than "nice" to have such a guy, I believe DA may get someone before the trade deadline especially if Hayward continues to look like a slow recovery.