Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 77228 times)

Re: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)
« Reply #675 on: June 29, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don’t know why everyone is so excited about Walker.  His teams have made the playoffs exactly 2 times that he has been on the team and they exited the playoffs in the first round both years.  We are going to pay him the max and strap the team financially from getting a real impact player.  You can’t win a championship with a point guard as your star player.  DA has struck out again.  He fails to see that you only win championships in this league with good quality big men.  We may be a decent team with Walker and I actually like him as a player much better than our last pre-madonna guard but its not the right play here.  The C’s need a dominate big man to play against the  powers of the east.  Who do the C’s have now? Undersized Thies and the rookie Williams.  We don’t even have a real power forward who can bang.  Until DA puts value in good solid bigs this team is going nowhere.

Who was the last "dominant big" who led their team into championship? Don't say Gasol as he is a role player at this point. Draymond Green? Another super glue guy? Or Kevin Love who's team was poop in Minny before he joined Lebron and Kyrie on Cleveland.
TP. This is a great point, people talk a lot about bigs, but it's the elite wings and guards that have been winning championships recently. Not saying a big can't lead a team, but it has clearly not been necessary.

« Reply #676 on: June 29, 2019, 07:36:50 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Big man as in Lebron, KD, Leonard,  etc.  Not necessarily a center but a big player. Not a point guard.  Point guards are a dime a dozen and not worth a max contract. 

« Reply #677 on: June 29, 2019, 07:42:24 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 606
Big man as in Lebron, KD, Leonard,  etc.  Not necessarily a center but a big player. Not a point guard.  Point guards are a dime a dozen and not worth a max contract.

Those players are wings, not bigs. And we have 3 in Hayward, Jaylen and Jayson. Hayward could return to his Utah form and who knows what are the ceiling of 2 kids.

« Reply #678 on: June 29, 2019, 07:49:30 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 483

Those players are wings, not bigs. And we have 3 in Hayward, Jaylen and Jayson. Hayward could return to his Utah form and who knows what are the ceiling of 2 kids.

So basically 5 total players in the NBA and the cs had zero chance at any of them.  The cs got a star who is eager to be here and people are unhappy because it's not a top 5 player.  Toronto may lose kawai but luckily gsw got.hurt and they won.  It seems he still may go elsewhere.  Some players are set on la and NYC no.matter what

« Reply #679 on: June 29, 2019, 07:50:36 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
You mean point guards like Stef Curry? Ok, Kemba isn't Stef, but he's clearly not a run of the mill PG. He is indeed worth a max contract. The Celts aren't going to entice a big name players to come here unless they have a quality roster. Even when trading, you want the player to be willing to resign when their contract is up. Boston doesn't have warm weather or world class night life.

« Reply #680 on: June 29, 2019, 07:54:24 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Dude what on earth are you smokin...those dudes you mentioned are ofcourse max players but are they even available...no . The only one that we almost sign was KD 3 yrs ago and yes Danny did his due diligence then...What do you want Danny to do offer max to players who do not even want to be here? Also can't offer them to wings since those positions are already filled up.

Just be happy we have one very good replacement to that malcontent Kyrie. Danny im pretty sure will try and work his magic to get a big man...heck I won't even be surprise anymore if at this point we sign DC to that small exception money they can play with.

« Reply #681 on: June 29, 2019, 08:02:01 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
You mean point guards like Stef Curry? Ok, Kemba isn't Stef, but he's clearly not a run of the mill PG. He is indeed worth a max contract. The Celts aren't going to entice a big name players to come here unless they have a quality roster. Even when trading, you want the player to be willing to resign when their contract is up. Boston doesn't have warm weather or world class night life.

I agree with you for the most part.   Steph is not the norm and I think you know that. Don’t get me wrong I like Kemba but I don’t feel he is max player.  A very good player yes but not a max guy.  And if we could pay him as such we may have more funds to employ a better team going forward.  And its to bad about the cold weather and night life in boston....

« Reply #682 on: June 29, 2019, 08:08:48 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday

Dude what on earth are you smokin...those dudes you mentioned are ofcourse max players but are they even available...no . The only one that we almost sign was KD 3 yrs ago and yes Danny did his due diligence then...What do you want Danny to do offer max to players who do not even want to be here? Also can't offer them to wings since those positions are already filled up.

Just be happy we have one very good replacement to that malcontent Kyrie. Danny im pretty sure will try and work his magic to get a big man...heck I won't even be surprise anymore if at this point we sign DC to that small exception money they can play with.

Leonard and KD are both available but I agree with your point about them wanting to come here.  And if one of those guys did opt to come here i am sure those positions would be adjusted.  And I am happy that we have someone to replace malcontent.  The team will be more enjoyable to watch but it won’t be championship caliber team. 

« Reply #683 on: June 29, 2019, 08:27:04 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Don't get me wrong, I am super happy with this signing. But here are some things to watch:

Lowe points out that Kemba is still a super high usage guy - will be interesting to see how he gels with the other guys

He's never been an elite 3pt shooter. This is a problem in today's NBA, but two further points on this. He is extremely strong from the corners, and he takes a lot of contested threes in Charlotte. Getting a bit more open (especially given his height disadvantage) could pick him up a bit. If Brad uses him off the ball some when Gordon plays the point, he could be nasty.

Welcome to Boston - let's Raptors '19 the upcoming season. Banner 18 babyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #684 on: June 29, 2019, 08:36:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Don't get me wrong, I am super happy with this signing. But here are some things to watch:

Lowe points out that Kemba is still a super high usage guy - will be interesting to see how he gels with the other guys

He's never been an elite 3pt shooter. This is a problem in today's NBA, but two further points on this. He is extremely strong from the corners, and he takes a lot of contested threes in Charlotte. Getting a bit more open (especially given his height disadvantage) could pick him up a bit. If Brad uses him off the ball some when Gordon plays the point, he could be nasty.

Welcome to Boston - let's Raptors '19 the upcoming season. Banner 18 babyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing a lot of Hornets fans seem to bring up is that often times, Kemba would have monster games but lose because the rest of the team around him flat out sucked.

Like in a Jazz game back in April, the Hornets lost 111-102. Kemba had 47 points on 50%+ shooting. The other 4 CHA starters? Combined for 6 points (lol).

I think that's part of the reason why I'm not too worried about the high usage rates with Kemba. Truth is, he was basically their ONLY true scoring threat all these years, with the exception of maybe a few years with Batum.

I doubt Kemba is going to average 26 PPG like he did last season, and maybe his # of shot attempts per game go down slightly. But if it coincides with the Jays getting more opportunities and others around him doing well too, then that's perfectly fine. Kemba doesn't have to go beserk every game to win like he did with Charlotte.

Kemba is not a superstar, but he's still a legit all-star and I think if he gels with the team better than Kyrie, he'll surprise a lot of people and maybe even elevate himself more among all the other stars out there. He gets that opportunity in Boston.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #685 on: June 29, 2019, 08:37:53 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
I love his attitude already. Kemba Walker? Having no meetings but just straight up choosing Boston? To want to play with Tatum, Brown, and Hayward?

You will not have to do it all yourself like you did in Charlotte. The guys will help you out. Just help straighten out their attitude Walker.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #686 on: June 29, 2019, 08:38:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He was actually a very good three point shooter as a catch and shoot three pointer playing off ball. His off the ball shooting while being set up by others is actually pretty excellent overall.

« Reply #687 on: June 29, 2019, 08:40:20 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Lakers fans be like "wow, the league better investigate the Celtics for tampering. They can't just sign Kemba Walker and offer him a 4-year max contract. Not fair at all."

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #688 on: June 29, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja
could someone please post an image of someone moving goal posts here for me.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #689 on: June 29, 2019, 08:50:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So with the Celtics announcing tomorrow they will be signing Kemba to that 4year deal, that means they will be renouncing Horford, Rozier, Irving and Morris and that means an end will come to the plethora of sign and trade proposals that have littered the blog over the last month or two.