Poll

Would you sign Kemba Walker to the max (4/140M; 32.7M 1st Year)

Yes
80 (66.1%)
No
41 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)  (Read 77310 times)

Re: Kemba Walker (Kemba to formalize agreement on Sunday, pg 40)
« Reply #660 on: June 29, 2019, 06:28:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This really takes out thr sting of the nuclear summer.  The cs desperately need a big.  Here's to hoping the nuclear summer just turns out to be a bee sting losing al and kyrie.  I know there aren't many options for bigs with the small exception the cs have but you would think Danny will do everything in his power to get creative.   

Is the below even possible

3 team deal

Rozier to Charlotte
Kemba to Boston
Kyrie to the nets

Picks to Charlotte and nets.

I don't know the rules.  Just on a high that the cs are pulling in a star so forgive me if this isn't possible.

Now if it is let's go full dream scenario.  After this sign and trade the cs sign and trade Horford to NO and use that exception to get Adam's from the Thunder.

what do the NETS give up?

« Reply #661 on: June 29, 2019, 06:30:49 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Great news
Rather have Kemba over Kyrie and Russell..Walker has not gotten the exposure at Charlotte...great player....not a head case either..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Kemba Walker (Woj - Celts are favorites - Page 16)
« Reply #662 on: June 29, 2019, 06:33:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Kemba Walker plans to commit to a four-year, $141M maximum contract with the Boston Celtics after free agency opens on Sunday, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1145068763345248258?s=21

Kemba Walker plans to be in Boston on Sunday to finalize a formal agreement with the Celtics, league sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145068958330081281?s=21

This really is amazing that this happened this fast with Kemba not even meeting with any other teams.

While a bit older and probably in a vacuum not quite as talented as Kyrie, his better overall record of health and much better fit with this team makes this move a net positive to bring in Kemba at the expense of Kyrie.

Completely agree.

As someone who swore he wouldn't get at all excited about the Celtics until they proved themselves worthy on the court next season, I have to admit I'm a bit excited about Kemba. He wasn't even on my radar going into the offseason, but I think he's going to be a great addition.

That said, I'm still trying my darnedest to not get TOO excited about this coming season yet—the team still needs legit bigs (yes, plural, and Theis, if retained, doesn't count), and they (especially Brown and Tatum) need to prove that they can elevate their game.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #663 on: June 29, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Kyrie turned 27 in March. Kemba turned 29 in May. He’s 22 months older. But hasn’t had the injury history of Kyrie.

Personally I consider this an upgrade to get Kemba at $35MM per year than Kyrie at $44MM per year. That $9MM per year may not necessarily be able to be used entirely on other players but part of it can. This could end up being a total team upgrade (depending on what happens with Al’s situation). 

And while the ream may have less talent on paper we might be deeper and last year’s team lost 4-1 in the second round. Next year I bet this team goes further. 

« Reply #664 on: June 29, 2019, 06:48:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
Follow Follow @GoodmanHoops
More
Source close to Kemba Walker told me that primary reason for the All-Star point guard choosing Boston was chance to go deep in playoffs — and play with talented guys like Tatum, Hayward and Jaylen Brown. Doesn’t feel as if he has to do it all by himself - which was case in CLT.
love it. We didn't have to beg for him to come. We didn't have to trade for a superstar. Lets do this..

The Kemba era now begins

HE WANTS TO BE IN BOSTON!!!! You cannot overemphasize this point. WTG Danny!!!! Seems like Cs actually told Kyrie he is not wanted back.

Is that like when someone starts to breakup with you and you claim you were gonna break up with them first?

I'm getting cautiously optimistic about next season.

I am getting there too....

Cautiously optimistic. We just need to see how the big rotation shakes out, especially if we're theoretically using Gordon Hayward as a 4.

I stand by my post, it does not appear Danny was bringing Kyrie back. He is a malcontent.

Literally the entire NBA: Kyrie doesn't want to go back to Boston. Even though Boston still really wants to pair him with Anthony Davis, he's made it known behind the scenes that he's fully intent on going to Brooklyn.

Ogaju: Danny wasn't going to bring him back. He was a malcontent.

What's next? Danny told Al they weren't going to resign him because they wanted to clear space for Kemba?

I think it may be presumptuous to say that Danny and Brad absolutely wanted to run this thing back again with Kyrie and Horford. When they were still trying for AD? Absolutely. He still wanted to pair Kyrie, AD, Hayward, and Horford. But once AD was traded to LA? I mean, is it really a coincidence that after the AD trade then Al suddenly was destined for somewhere else?

All else being equal, I think Danny and Brad find that pushing forward with Kemba on a max is better long-term than pushing forward with Kyrie on a max and Al on a $100M contract over four years. And I certainly agree with them, as they showed last year that this collection of talent just doesn't work out, more from a personality/chemistry perspective than actual skillset perspective. Ultimately, if we can nab a quality starting-level big to round out the starting five then I think we end up better than last year, maybe by a significant margin if the J's take a leap and/or Hayward significantly improves.

« Reply #665 on: June 29, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kyrie turned 27 in March. Kemba turned 29 in May. He’s 22 months older. But hasn’t had the injury history of Kyrie.

Personally I consider this an upgrade to get Kemba at $35MM per year than Kyrie at $44MM per year. That $9MM per year may not necessarily be able to be used entirely on other players but part of it can. This could end up being a total team upgrade (depending on what happens with Al’s situation). 

And while the ream may have less talent on paper we might be deeper and last year’s team lost 4-1 in the second round. Next year I bet this team goes further.
Kyrie wasn't getting a deal from anyone at $44 million a year. Best we, and only we, could have offered would have been 5 years $191 million or about $38 million a year. And, in fact, Kemba's and Kyrie's first year values would have been exactly the same at $32.7 million.

« Reply #666 on: June 29, 2019, 06:50:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I think your math might be off. We could've offered Kyrie a 5 yr deal in the $189m range. Which works out to about $37.8m a year.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #667 on: June 29, 2019, 06:54:43 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I don’t know why everyone is so excited about Walker.  His teams have made the playoffs exactly 2 times that he has been on the team and they exited the playoffs in the first round both years.  We are going to pay him the max and strap the team financially from getting a real impact player.  You can’t win a championship with a point guard as your star player.  DA has struck out again.  He fails to see that you only win championships in this league with good quality big men.  We may be a decent team with Walker and I actually like him as a player much better than our last pre-madonna guard but its not the right play here.  The C’s need a dominate big man to play against the  powers of the east.  Who do the C’s have now? Undersized Thies and the rookie Williams.  We don’t even have a real power forward who can bang.  Until DA puts value in good solid bigs this team is going nowhere. 

« Reply #668 on: June 29, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 628
This really takes out thr sting of the nuclear summer.  The cs desperately need a big.  Here's to hoping the nuclear summer just turns out to be a bee sting losing al and kyrie.  I know there aren't many options for bigs with the small exception the cs have but you would think Danny will do everything in his power to get creative.   

3 team deal

Rozier to Charlotte
Kemba to Boston
Kyrie to the nets

I don't know the rules.  Just on a high that the cs are pulling in a star so forgive me if this isn't possible.

Now if it is let's go full dream scenario.  After this sign and trade the cs sign and trade Horford to NO and use that exception to get Adam's from the Thunder.

Character?

« Reply #669 on: June 29, 2019, 07:11:30 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don’t know why everyone is so excited about Walker.  His teams have made the playoffs exactly 2 times that he has been on the team and they exited the playoffs in the first round both years.  We are going to pay him the max and strap the team financially from getting a real impact player.  You can’t win a championship with a point guard as your star player.  DA has struck out again.  He fails to see that you only win championships in this league with good quality big men.  We may be a decent team with Walker and I actually like him as a player much better than our last pre-madonna guard but its not the right play here.  The C’s need a dominate big man to play against the  powers of the east.  Who do the C’s have now? Undersized Thies and the rookie Williams.  We don’t even have a real power forward who can bang.  Until DA puts value in good solid bigs this team is going nowhere.
It's simply not true that you need elite big men to win. The Warriors, Cavs, and Raptors all won without elite big men. They were led by wings. You are correct that the Celts do need to upgrade their bigs, but there was no big I would have given max money to. The Celts will need to look to trades and the draft to try to fill that spot as they move forward. Kemba is a good fit, the roster is not a finished product yet, Danny still has work to do, but Kemba makes sense.

« Reply #670 on: June 29, 2019, 07:14:04 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

3 team deal

Rozier to Charlotte
Kemba to Boston
Kyrie to the nets

Character?

It's pretty clear there won't be any sign and trade involving Kemba. The Celts are looking to sign Kemba straight up, and that's probably the right way to go. Doing a sign and trade is complicated and subjects the team to some restrictions that are a bit onerous, I won't go in to them here, but you can easily read up on them if you care to.

« Reply #671 on: June 29, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Lol. Yeah because DA didn't just sign Al Horford three years ago and didn't just attempt to trade for Anthony Davis. But yeah. He doesn't "put value in good solid bigs." Good one.

Walker was literally the ONLY play for DA with the max deal. The only All-Star big on the FA market was Vuc, and he is probably going to re-sign in Orlando and certainly isn't a centerpiece.

And lol at saying he only made the playoffs twice. You know who else has only made the playoffs twice? Anthony Davis, who is the exact type of franchise big you are talking about. Teammates matter.

EDITED: Please follow site rules and be respectful of others opinions
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:23:45 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #672 on: June 29, 2019, 07:24:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
So basically, 6:01 PM EST tomorrow, expect the official announcement and tweets of Kemba-to-Boston?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #673 on: June 29, 2019, 07:27:17 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Kemba...please wear #8 so my throwback Celtics jersey becomes current again.

Me and my wife saw our first Celtics home game this season together, and I was so excited to see that she was able to fit into my dee brown jersey that I had in 7th grade lol which of course works as a jaylen brown jersey.
Greg

« Reply #674 on: June 29, 2019, 07:28:39 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 606

Who was the last "dominant big" who led their team into championship? Don't say Gasol as he is a role player at this point. Draymond Green? Another super glue guy? Or Kevin Love who's team was poop in Minny before he joined Lebron and Kyrie on Cleveland.