Author Topic: Leaks-rumors- baiting Whats going on Trader Danny  (Read 2423 times)

Leaks-rumors- baiting Whats going on Trader Danny
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:04:55 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Is the dangling of Marcus just another Danny Ainge game to take advantage of Smarts off court behavior
.If you can't get a first for Marcus at his age it lowers the value of Tyreke.
If there are no takers lowers free agency value and diminishes his agents position.
If he stays sends a clear message on off court behavior.
However this works out,Marcus can only blame himself.
WOJ-didn't leak this without Danny's consent  as it would burn bridges

How far our band of warriors has fallen Isaiah,Crowder now Smart.
Aren't the Celtics a better team with Rozier and Smart together defensively against Golden State?
Has Danny just been baiting the hook for other contenders? -Marcus has always played well against OKC or wouldn't he fit with Timberwolves and Jimmy Butler?Seems like Thibs would go for this.
Are the Celtics going to sacrifice defensive identity by bringing in a scorer off bench with Monroe not known for defense.
How many teams dare to step up against Dannys track record.

Re: Leaks-rumors- baiting Whats going on Trader Danny
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 08:12:20 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Wojo hasn't always been right when it comes to the Celtics. So I'm skeptical about this rumor.

I think this team could make it to the Finals, where you most likely will face Golden State.  As the last game proved, you want Marcus on your team helping to guard Curry when that happens in June.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 08:28:09 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The report was so hedged that it’s hard to tell what it means. He said Smart was available. With Danny Ainge, any player on that roster is probably “available” for the right price. He says if someone offered a first round pick for Smart, the Celtics would look at it. Of course they would.

What I didn’t hear was that Smart is actively being shopped or that they are trying to move him. Maybe that is happening, maybe it isn’t. Woj is hedging.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If you can't get a first for Marcus at his age it lowers the value of Tyreke.

This makes no sense at all. Even if it were true, this would impact all his suitors, not just the Celtics. So what's the advantage you assume is taking place? Yeah, exactly. 

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it could be used for motivation on a guy with a fiery attitude.   But it also could be Ainge thinks he is a knucklehead who can't shoot who is not needed now that Rozier has emerged.   

Especially if we get Evans or Williams will we need him?

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think because of the depth of the team in terms of young talent and that C's have possibly two 1st rounders this up coming draft you want to see the value of trading one or two young guys away right now.

You probably wouldn't trade Smart for less than a projected 7-16 range pick. Because Smart is an elite defender and in some ways is also a playmaker. Any team in the West other than Rockets, Blazers and Warriors should be asking DA for Smart.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker

This makes no sense at all. Even if it were true, this would impact all his suitors, not just the Celtics. So what's the advantage you assume is taking place? Yeah, exactly.

If nobody is willing to pay up for Smart a far better defender and younger that you need to guard a Westbrook,Curry or Harden -an impact player that will win you games in playoffs
Then why should the Celts pay a first for Tyreke
What have they been offered Mudiay and a second, if that rumor is true and every day closer to deadline  Tyrekes values drops.--
Who do you value a defense stopper that can switch to multiple positions that fights on the boards,draws charges and is clutch both ends of court or a shooter with poor defense.
Ainge is playing games-if i can't get a first for Marcus why should you get a first for Tyreke.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:32:06 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 10:10:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Evans is a significantly better player than Smart. Smart not being popular on the trade market doesn't affect Evans much

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 10:19:48 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
If Danny can get a rotation level player or any first round pick for Smart  he is a genius. We are possibly going to lose him for nothing next year or overpay. Both bad outcomes. This would be a great third option. Ainge also just signaled Memphis that he would trade Smart for Evans didn't he?

I do agree that your theory Rollie about Evans trade value being affected  is also possible. This sets a price from the Celtics and gives Danny control.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Who do you value a defense stopper that can switch to multiple positions that fights on the boards,draws charges and is clutch both ends of court or a shooter with poor defense.
Ainge is playing games-if i can't get a first for Marcus why should you get a first for Tyreke.

If you think Evans is a shooter with poor defense then you've never seen him play.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

If nobody is willing to pay up for Smart a far better defender and younger that you need to guard the Westbrook,Curry or Harden -an impact player that will win you games in playoffs
What have they been offered Mudiay and a second, if that rumor is true and every day closer to deadline those Tyrekes values drops.--

You love and find positives in everyone who has ever donned a Cs jersey so your position on this is understandable.

I think Smart is who he is at this point. Dude who can D up 3 positions on rotations but couldn't hit the ocean with a beach ball 4 out of 10 times.

Smart plays at a pace I'm not a fan of. Personally I find Smart to be a throwback and would have done very well in the 80s-90s NBA. His supposedly high basketball IQ doesn't outweigh his lack of pace and lack of athleticism.

A guard who can't put the ball in the bucket but is so loved by a fan base makes me go  ???

The Marcus we see today is the same Marcus we saw his rookie year. I was excited back then because we assumed with growth he was the next Dwade the reality is this is who he will be in the NBA.

The argument that Smart leads to winning, that I've seen many times in the forum, seems difficult to measure beyond Win Share where he is a 1.4 and last few season is a 3. Meaning Smart leads to 3 wins over an 82 game season. A guy that people love to compare him to Troz3 is a 3.6 yet I've never heard anyone say Terry leads to winning.

I get why people like Marcus but we're not being realistic. He's not part of this core anymore because realistically he's an avg NBA with maybe a bottom 20% on the offensive end. Great if he wasn't a guard I guess.

ok fine

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

If you think Evans is a shooter with poor defense then you've never seen him play.

Yeah, while Evans has shot the ball really well this season, that has never really been his game. He's always been more of a slasher and driver.

And while Evans isn't on Smart's level when it comes to defense, he's no slouch either. Evans is a good defender.

And lastly, Evans is actually a much better passer than Smart. He's someone who can run the the offense, whereas Smart struggles with that.

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think because of the depth of the team in terms of young talent and that C's have possibly two 1st rounders this up coming draft you want to see the value of trading one or two young guys away right now.

You probably wouldn't trade Smart for less than a projected 7-16 range pick. Because Smart is an elite defender and in some ways is also a playmaker. Any team in the West other than Rockets, Blazers and Warriors should be asking DA for Smart.

Good luck finding a team that's going to give up a late lottery pick for Smart.   I just don't think he has that kind of value.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 11:03:31 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Not James Young,not Mickey,not Jackson,not Bentil
And not Kelly and his stupid up fake to a travel, his clumsy attempt at attacking the basket and his much too short arms.At the end i was almost furious but again i post positive and think cynical-this is supposed to be fun.

I played against Cousy and scored on him,i went as a kid to jim loscutoff camps and was Coached by Rollie Massimino--I have watched the Celtics since black and white TV with the sound off and johnny most from the radio and on west coast trips sneekily i would wake up and listen to game on a transistor radio under the sheets.So i love my Celtics we have a long history.

I didn't like Rozier when he was a rookie, all he did was zig zag spurt with no idea how to run a team.At the time he had trouble on in bounds and getting it up the court under pressure but his progress has been immense and he is an elite rebounder has excellent elevation on his jumper.His ceiling on offense is higher than Marcus but nobody gets over the top of screens like Marcus.

Rozier is benefiting from Kyrie but it is much too soon lets see how he does tonight orafter a couple bad games.He got to stay in control.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:11:24 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

If nobody is willing to pay up for Smart a far better defender and younger that you need to guard a Westbrook,Curry or Harden -an impact player that will win you games in playoffs
What have they been offered Mudiay and a second, if that rumor is true and every day closer to deadline  Tyrekes values drops.--

Well that depends on who you think is better. Its highly debatable that its Smart.