Author Topic: Forget Nocioni, Shane Battier Should be the C'S target (He is likely available)  (Read 5928 times)

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The Rockets are not going to trade Shane Battier anytime soon.  He is the leader of that team.  He might not be their "star," but they wouldn't be the same team without him, and as a +/- stats lover, their GM will likely never want to part with him.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'd like a guy like Battier that can guard almost any SG or SF because next year we would be able to let go of Marquis and Eddie and get a good PG for the full MLE.  I'd rather have Battier than Daniels and we should be able to find a guy who can score AND play defense/handle the ball (not Eddie).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
here's a question. Would you trade Daniels and scal for Battier? I think Battier is the better player and we would guarantee to be on the roster next year giving us some flexibility with the Ray situation , but Daniels is our only backup PG......

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I agree with the "Celtics should/would do it, Houston shouldn't/wouldn't" camp.

In the end, I don't think the C's should have to trade, but Battier would be a great player to have if a trade were to happen. However, the rights to Rubio are so much better than Giddens, TA, or Scal are.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I heard Daryl Morey say on a recent ESPN podcast he will not trade Battier before his contract is over. He's the leader of their team -- a team playing well.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Except that by renouncing McGrady and Cook and not picking up Hayes and Landry(or Scola) for 2010-11 and extending Scola(or Landry) the Rockets could still get a max level free agent and keep Battier. So in essence, they really aren't trading Battier away for the opportunity to get Joe Johnson or Chris Bosh. That opportunity already exists.

By renouncing McGrady Cook, Hayes , Scola they will still be at around $40 MIL on the payroll for 2010 . That only leaves about 10-12 mil under the salary cap, which wouldn't land them one of the top Free Agents next year . getting rid of Battier for BBD would free up another 4.5 MIL giving them about 15 Mil for free agents . Remember the salary cap is going to be lowered next year to about 50-52 MIL

It would be a gold move for us.

Honestly I think Moray thinks Battier is a cornerstone for him. I think he'll only trade him for another cornerstone.
Yep.  He'd need a better prospect than Baby and garbage.

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Battier would be a perfect fit for the C's! But I wouldn't give Baby for Battier, because we wouldn't have security at the 4 and 5 spots.

Anyway, too bad that Battier is likely to finish his contract with Houston because otherwise I would greet him with open arms in Boston. I love this player.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I have pictured Battier as a celtic since college and have been dropping his name for trades to our team for a bit.  However Davis' value is what?  A guy who most teams weren't interested in as a free agent now has a broken hand from an off court incident.
I would give up a 4th or 5th big sub to get battier without a doubt.  Daniels we need though, wouldn't trade him

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
From a talent exchange perspective, the trade is good for the C's and crapola for Houston---so I like it.

The motivation for Houston doing this trade that's being floated around--the opportunity to get a prime FA--isn't solid enough IMHO for any GM to make that deal.  Why give away a really solid player for crud (BBD's ok but not close to Battier's skills) just to get a chance at signing someone.  There's no guarantee Houston lands someone of significance, not when NY, NJ and others have more money to throw at the top FA's.  It's just a leap of faith that those players even become available and don't resign for top $ with their current teams.  Teams throwing all their eggs into next year's FA basket are taking a major risk.  Houston would be foolish to give away good talent for pure hopeful speculations.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but Daryl Morey the Rockets owner was on the espn NBA podcast with Ryan Russillo and was asked about Battier. Specifically that the article in the Wall Street journal was an attempt to drive up Battier's price in a trade.
Morey said flatly we are not trading Shane Battier (I'm paraphrasing).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This would be an easy trade for the Celtics to say yes for.

Battier could step in and start at either SF or PF in case of injuries.  He would be fine replacement if Ray was to leave (moving Pierce back to SG) 

No way the Rockets go for it.

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
He is the mold everyone has been looking for since the championship run. That mold is James Posey. He plays great team/ one-on-one D and will knock down the three. He really would fit this team perfect i would be willing to give up Eddie in the deal.