Author Topic: Korfbal (Dutch alternative for basketball)  (Read 4632 times)

Korfbal (Dutch alternative for basketball)
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:47:53 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Hello Americans and other non-Dutchies,

you might think that the number of Dutch basketball players in the NBA is quite low, and you'd be right since it's zero. That's partly because basketball isn't very popular here in the Netherlands. Of course you know about football (the sports you so stubbornly call soccer) being far more popular in Europe, but did you know there's another sports that's invented by us as a variant of basketball?

It's called korfbal. And it has about 100.000 Dutch people as official members of the korfbal union. In comparison with basketball (which has about 50.000 members), thats about twice as much. So you might get curious how it's played. Below a promo video to get acquainted with the sports of korfbal and watch how it's played.

Right now the Netherlands have won 9 out of 10 world championship titles (we lost one final against Belgium), so USA has some catching up to do  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNSU4kbVvI
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:54:12 AM by RodyTur10 »

Re: Korfbal (Dutch alternative for basketball)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:05:24 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
That’s cool!

Are you not allowed to dribble in korfball?

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That looks awesome.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
That’s cool!

Nope. Neither are you allowed to shoot when your opponent is close in front of you (able to touch your shoulder). And no advantage is allowed by means of physical contact.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
what is the hoop's height?

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 11:48:54 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That’s cool!

Nope. Neither are you allowed to shoot when your opponent is close in front of you (able to touch your shoulder). And no advantage is allowed by means of physical contact.

So that's why everybody does the Dirk fallaway  :)

I thought I saw one guy dribble towards the end but maybe it was a bounce off a pass or something.

Can you not shoot from inside the "paint" or was that just because defenders were always close?

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 12:15:33 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
what is the hoop's height?

3.5 meters (like 11.5 feet)

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
That’s cool!

I thought I saw one guy dribble towards the end but maybe it was a bounce off a pass or something.

Can you not shoot from inside the "paint" or was that just because defenders were always close?

It just looked that way. He followed his own quick bounce pass and got it passed back immediately.

It is allowed to score from close distance. A regular way to score is by means of a step-through, where you get the ball via a hand-off and then you finish underhand. Because the hoop is quite high it's difficult to score from close by via an overhand shot.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:34:56 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 05:10:16 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I started playing this at Uni in the UK, and picked it up again when I moved to London. Always a challenge to explain it to your friends though!

Best part about it has to be the accompanying social life though, oh and the summer tournaments :laugh:

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 11:49:23 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I feel like I would dominate at Korfbal. That and the game they used to play in American Gladiators where you had to be like a running back and throw this ball into this small hoop on the ground before getting tackled (edit: Powerball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhruCr5No8).

Instead I settled for being a reluctant soccer player and underachieving basketball player.

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 01:57:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
That’s cool!

It just looked that way. He followed his own quick bounce pass and got it passed back immediately.

It is allowed to score from close distance. A regular way to score is by means of a step-through, where you get the ball via a hand-off and then you finish underhand. Because the hoop is quite high it's difficult to score from close by via an overhand shot.
Perhaps you've found Taco Fall's new sport.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 07:02:08 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I feel like I would dominate at Korfbal. That and the game they used to play in American Gladiators where you had to be like a running back and throw this ball into this small hoop on the ground before getting tackled (edit: Powerball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhruCr5No8).

Instead I settled for being a reluctant soccer player and underachieving basketball player.

We should start an American team!
ok fine